Sox Mailbag has some interesting tidbits

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 07:43 PM)
I would be in favor of dealing Thome.

Love what he's done in baseball, but he's Mike Sweeney-ish now with his back.

I don't see why he's a lock to return.

Because he has a no trade clause, and when he was traded from Philly, he said he would only waive it to go to Chicago or Cleveland.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 03:20 PM)
The mailbag is out, and Scott Merkin brings up some interesting stuff. He hints at things like...

--Fields in LF

--Pods not returning

--Contreras still possibly being moved

--Owens maybe getting th

e inside track for CF

All things discussed here, but always interesting to see it actually in print on the Sox' site. Makes them slightly more believable as possibilities. I'm particularly excited about Fields maybe in LF, and Pods not returning.

Good to see someone is listening to me, :notworthy

Too bad he is not GM.

Bob

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 07:07 PM)
It cracks me up the Rowand love fest on this board.

I mean, I liked him and all... but not at the cost he's going to get this offseason.

No kidding. The guy has posted 2 great years in his career, 2004 and 2007. 2007 is a contrtact year, but didn't he sign a deal after 2004? Anyway, the other 4-5 years he's been statisticaly average to below average offensively.

Bob

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)
Love what he's done in baseball, but he's Mike Sweeney-ish now with his back.

Um bulls***. Sweeney has played in a grand total of 117 games over the last 2 seasons combined and hasn't gone a full season without missing at least 1 entire month since 2001, he's pretty much knocking on the door of forced retirement at this point. Thome played in 143 games last year and 85 out of 111 this year while putting up a .951 OPS. For you to say Jim Thome's injury problems have reached the level of Mike Sweeney's is a complete joke.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
No kidding. The guy has posted 2 great years in his career, 2004 and 2007. 2007 is a contrtact year, but didn't he sign a deal after 2004? Anyway, the other 4-5 years he's been statisticaly average to below average offensively.

Bob

Ok and how many sane Sox fans are actually pining for the return of Aaron Rowand at $10M+ a year? Yeah pretty much none. Thinking of him as a realistic option to fill the CF spot on the 2008 team and praying that he returns are 2 totaly different things.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 05:02 PM)
I assume you're a big fan of Jerry Owens?

We need three outfielders for next year. If Fields isn't one of them, Owens assuredly is. In fact, Owens is probably the CFer until Sweeney usurps him even if Fields is in the OF.

A vote for Crede is a vote against punchless outfielders.

I'd rather see Ben Grieve patrol CF rather than Jerry Owens. Or maybe Ernie Young.

All I, as a fan, can hope for is that they realize he is not going through a period of rookie struggle rather than a period of Jerry Owens suckage. I'm not sure what kind of future Owens holds in the majors, but I really don't think it's a bright future.

I'd be all over non-tendering Crede simply because it does open the door for Fields at 3B, so that he can start to adjust and develop into an average defender at 3B while maintaining his development as a hitter. And part of that has to do with the simple idea that you can find better outfield options on the minor league free agent market for LF (with Sweeney in CF, where his .275 average with a .700 OPS will prove to atleast be somewhat valuable on an Erstadian level) than you can Owens in CF. I mean, quite frankly, Owens should be the last option for any outfield position on the Sox right now.

I haven't seen enough of Owens to have an opinion on him. I've just seen a handful of games with him playing. However, I do have an opinion on Joe Crede. When Joe is healthy he is a very solid ML 3B and a decent hitter. Sure, his numbers sucked this year, but the dude couldn't even sleep at night due to back pain. I believe Crede has shown enough over the years that he is worth a $5M gamble for next year IF all things appear to good with his back. That's a decision that KW will have to make and I don't envy him being in that spot.

I do know this much, Joe Crede is too good of a ballplayer to just cut loose and get nothing in return. Josh Fields is a solid plan B in case Crede can't cut it, which is a very nice position to be in as opposed to depending on Joe with no decent option backing him up.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 01:21 PM)
I'm OK with Owens being Plan B for left field, behind Fields. I am not so excited about him being the starting CF on Opening Day.

I very much agree. I don't have a problem with Owens being the 4th OFer, who can play Lf and CF. And hit leadoff in case of injury. Yet the sox [as a team that wants to contend for the playoffs and world series] shouldn't be coming into 2008 with Owens as a starter [unless he hits .290-.300 the rest of the way, with a .360 OBP].

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 02:25 AM)
Eric Byrnes getting 10 million dollars a year pretty much means the Sox are going to install Jerry Owens as the starting CF in 2008.

That was my thought too, because that's what Rowand is going to get with that contract.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)
What do you think for Dye? 14-15? Especially if he goes to Texas with Tex gone.

Probably a similar deal to Byrnes. He's going to finish the year with a high .800 OPS more than likely which isn't exactly spectacular. I think he could re-sign at a semi-discount maybe $8m-$9M a year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 11:08 PM)
Probably a similar deal to Byrnes. He's going to finish the year with a high .800 OPS more than likely which isn't exactly spectacular. I think he could re-sign at a semi-discount maybe $8m-$9M a year.

If it's $9 mill a year - which even with a discount I think is very generous on JD's part - then it'll probably be a 3 year deal with an option for the 4th with a pretty nice buyout too.