Buehrle: Sox aren't going into rebuilding mode

thedoctor

QUOTE(max power @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)
They will probably dump jose, and use that 10 million toward the bigger contract and about 15 million more to patch some crap up. Resign uribe (5 million), arb for crede(another 5 million), richar at 2b, Fields in left, someone else new in the outfield, and about 8 more million in bullpen help. Its not unrealistic for a team that is top five in attendance in the AL.

I didn't say it was going to work, not sure if that team will win the central, but I am sure Kenny will be trying to compete.

If it was that easy to just "dump" Contreras it would have been done by now.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(max power @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 04:26 PM)
They will probably dump jose, and use that 10 million toward the bigger contract and about 15 million more to patch some crap up. Resign uribe (5 million), arb for crede(another 5 million), richar at 2b, Fields in left, someone else new in the outfield, and about 8 more million in bullpen help. Its not unrealistic for a team that is top five in attendance in the AL.

I didn't say it was going to work, not sure if that team will win the central, but I am sure Kenny will be trying to compete.

Why does everyone think that Jose is "dumpable"? The rest of your comments are dead on arrival right after that comment. Thanks for playing XBOX Chicago White Sox 2007.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:28 AM)
If it was that easy to just "dump" Contreras it would have been done by now.

I think it will become easier in the off season when some team that didn't compete this year, wants to next year, and sees jose possibly turning it around. There will be more teams looking for pitchers then, and some will miss out in free agency, you can't deny that.

Edited by max power

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 04:26 PM)
He'll be 34 years old, has lost almost all of his power for whatever reason, is a below average defender and will likely be looking for the last big contract of his career. Where exactly is he going to play anyway?

Yuck, I'd rather sign back Jermaine for 2 yrs than be stuck with Abreu for 3 or 4. You're right about Abreu, ee doesn't steal bases, doesn't hit for power anymore and is a below avg RF. At least Jermaine can still hit 30 HRs, play avg defense in RF and is 2 yrs younger.

We all know KW will go after the passion and the fire (Rowand) but I wonder about SS, LF and the bullpen.

QUOTE(max power @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:30 AM)
I think it will become easier in the off season when some team that didn't compete this year, wants to next year, and sees jose possibly turning it around. There will be more teams looking for pitchers then, and some will miss out in free agency, you can't deny that.

Jose is likely 36-38 years old and has pretty much been the worst pitcher in baseball over the past 380 days or so. There's no way some team is going to eat the $20M remaining on his deal based on a slim hope that he may magically turn it around when there's just nothing there that makes you think he's capable of pulling it off.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:35 AM)
Jose is likely 36-38 years old and has pretty much been the worst pitcher in baseball over the past 380 days or so. There's no way some team is going to eat the $20M remaining on his deal based on a slim hope that he may magically turn it around when there's just nothing there that makes you think he's capable of pulling it off.

I disagree, especially if jose shows flashes of what he was before the season's end, which I expect him to do in at least one game. Regardless, even if they can't dump even part of jose's contract, kenny will try to patch this team up and compete. He isn't going into rebuild mode yet. That's my opinion on this matter.

QUOTE(max power @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 04:40 PM)
I disagree, especially if jose shows flashes of what he was before the season's end, which I expect him to do in at least one game. Regardless, even if they can't dump even part of jose's contract, kenny will try to patch this team up and compete. He isn't going into rebuild mode yet. That's my opinion on this matter.

Glad you got the wrong opinion. :P

Jose is a White Sox for the duration of his contract, unless he starts magically throwing over the top with no pain again. If that happens, everyone will want him to stay anyway.

I should prob. explain my comments a bit more. First on Abreu, as most here know he's tight with Guillen. Yes, he will be 34 and yes he will look for big $. As far as a pro hitter goes though, he fits the profile. He walks almost as much as he K's and he doesn't K much.

The Yankees may extend him so all this may be moot. But he's a guy they like and he is an athletic guy who I'm sure could (and would, for Guillen) move to LF, or stay in RF if they don't re-up with Dye. Not to mention he can fill in for Thome when he has his inevitable nagging injuries. It fits but then again we are way ahead of ourselves here.

I can also see the White Sox doing a full court press with the Phillies for Michael Bourne for CF, again the Sox have pitching to deal if they so choose.

Lastly on Contreras, their main objective is to get this guy's ship righted. They do not think he's toast. They do think he is having a tough year mentally, that he needs to back off on his over-the-top conditioning, and a few other things. Namely that he will need a breather as a starter from time to time. Yes he will be available in the right deal but as kalapse has correctly stated his value isn't much right now. His value is best as a White Sox, meaning, working with him to get him better might end up being the best course of action. Now I know many or even most here want him released, DFA's, dumped, but it won't happen.

Also, they launched Mackowiak which tells me they have a handful of guys they are targeting for a bench role. No I do not think it will be Andy Gonazalez. I do see Ozuna getting a chance to see if he's healthy and I see an under the radar guy being brought in for the bench. Cintron I see gone. Watch for more speed from the bench plus a guy or two who is a more patient hitter.

The wild card is Uribe. If they can get a better replacement they will because that's what they want to do. The Tejada thing was no secret nor a surprise. The question is, can you get him. Or can you get someone better than Uribe in terms of defense. Yet another challenge for Williams and staff.

Yuck, I'd rather sign back Jermaine for 2 yrs than be stuck with Abreu for 3 or 4. You're right about Abreu, ee doesn't steal bases, doesn't hit for power anymore and is a below avg RF. At least Jermaine can still hit 30 HRs, play avg defense in RF and is 2 yrs younger.

We all know KW will go after the passion and the fire (Rowand) but I wonder about SS, LF and the bullpen.

Abreu and Dye are the same age. And Abreu does steal bases. Just saying.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:33 AM)

Yuck? OK BA had as bad a first half as Dye did. But in the 24 games since the All Star game he has a .615 slugging percent and an OPS over 1.000. Dye's actually a few months older than Abreau. As for his bad defense? He's a two time gold glover. What makes you say he's bad? And no steals? He'd be leading the Sox with his 15 stolen bases.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:47 AM)
I can also see the White Sox doing a full court press with the Phillies for Michael Bourne for CF, again the Sox have pitching to deal if they so choose.

I honestly am close to buying into Jerry Owens. He's showed glimpses of power I didn't know he had (especially the opposite field gapper he hit the other day), he's taking pitches well, he obviously can steal bases, and he can bunt. He's played a solid center field. Obviously I would have preferred Brian to be the one to be our future at CF because of his considerable defensive skills, but he isn't going to get that chance. Given what Owens has shown us and how he has improved, I'd rather give him the gig than exhaust our limited resources bringing in someone who would do a similar job.

Contreras is/was available for nothing except the balance of his contract. Nobody bit. The only way the Sox get rid of him is if they take on an equally unappealing contract or pick up most of whats left on Contreras' deal. If its the latter, they are much better off keeping him.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 10:04 AM)
I honestly am close to buying into Jerry Owens. He's showed glimpses of power I didn't know he had (especially the opposite field gapper he hit the other day), he's taking pitches well, he obviously can steal bases, and he can bunt. He's played a solid center field. Obviously I would have preferred Brian to be the one to be our future at CF because of his considerable defensive skills, but he isn't going to get that chance. Given what Owens has shown us and how he has improved, I'd rather give him the gig than exhaust our limited resources bringing in someone who would do a similar job.

Whether people here like it or not, if all Owens does is hit .270 or above the rest of this season, he's shown enough to be a starting OF next year for the Sox.

He still has a lot he can work on, and hopefully he doesn't screw around this offseason and plays some winterball to work on bunting and stolen base technique to make himself even more of a threat. If all he can do is turn himself into a healthy version of what Podsednik was, then he helps this team tremendously.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 05:07 PM)
Contreras is/was available for nothing except the balance of his contract. Nobody bit. The only way the Sox get rid of him is if they take on an equally unappealing contract or pick up most of whats left on Contreras' deal. If its the latter, they are much better off keeping him.

to get anyone to take contreras he's going to need to show something the rest of the way. i'm not sure that's possible, but it's not like we haven't seen him go from real bad to real good in a short stretch of time before.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 10:14 AM)
to get anyone to take contreras he's going to need to show something the rest of the way. i'm not sure that's possible, but it's not like we haven't seen him go from real bad to real good in a short stretch of time before.

Even if Jose was good the rest of the way, I still don't think anyone would take a chance on him without us picking up a good portion of his contract. And if he was good enough for someone to be interested ,there's no way the Sox would deal him for the bottom-dollar price we'd have to accept back in terms of talent.

Our only hope on Jose is that he figures things out before next season. End of story.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
Whether people here like it or not, if all Owens does is hit .270 or above the rest of this season, he's shown enough to be a starting OF next year for the Sox.

He still has a lot he can work on, and hopefully he doesn't screw around this offseason and plays some winterball to work on bunting and stolen base technique to make himself even more of a threat. If all he can do is turn himself into a healthy version of what Podsednik was, then he helps this team tremendously.

He'll never be as good as a healthy Podsednik. Never.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 05:17 PM)
Even if Jose was good the rest of the way, I still don't think anyone would take a chance on him without us picking up a good portion of his contract. And if he was good enough for someone to be interested ,there's no way the Sox would deal him for the bottom-dollar price we'd have to accept back in terms of talent.

Our only hope on Jose is that he figures things out before next season. End of story.

well, then we're pretty much screwed aren't we?

:P

QUOTE(iamshack @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 12:04 PM)
(especially the opposite field gapper he hit the other day)

Is the word "especially" really necessary? That's only the second double he's had over his last 175 PAs. He hasn't shown any signs of power or an ability to work the gaps, he's shown that he might be able to eek a few singles through the infield and beat out weak grounders to the SS. The 2 BBs he's drawn over his last 71 PAs have been spectacular though. I wonder what Alex Sanchez is up to these days, think he'd be interested in a body double job for Jerry Owens? Oh wait he knew how to work a gap now and then.

Just my opinion but I do not see Jerry Owens as a starting OF on a White Sox team that plans to contend. My hunch is, Williams and Guillen are aiming higher. Not sure how much Owens has to prove in AAA though. Lots can happen with personnel moves though so who knows. Sox need a leadoff hitter badly and there aren't that many out there.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 10:04 AM)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 10:10 AM)

+1

He may not be a long-term solution, but I could stand Owens as a stop-gap in CF next year. Especially considering the bolded point about our needs elsewhere.