Cubs claim Podsednik; Pods still here (for now)

Linnwood

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 05:26 PM)
Oh for God's sake no...Especially considering he has a contract that pays him a ton of money if he stays with baseball that presumably the Sox would wind up having to pay.

Unless he had a weird contract, his entire deal was a bonus and the Cubs would be the team on the hook for it. That is at least typically how it works with draft picks. I know he had a convuluted deal that could pay him as much as 11mill or something (bonus).

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 08:11 PM)
Unless he had a weird contract, his entire deal was a bonus and the Cubs would be the team on the hook for it. That is at least typically how it works with draft picks. I know he had a convuluted deal that could pay him as much as 11mill or something (bonus).

He only got a $2.5M signing bonus, he's guaranteed $7.2M over the next 4 years, plus he takes up a spot on the 40 man roster while making twice the major league minimum pitching at AA.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 08:14 PM)
Ugh... is the title incorrect on this thread or what? Did the Cubs actually acquire Pods???

Claiming and acquiring are 2 totally different things. If you read the thread you'll learn all you need to know about the situation at hand and the waiver process.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 06:18 PM)
He only got a $2.5M signing bonus, he's guaranteed $7.2M over the next 4 years, plus he takes up a spot on the 40 man roster while making twice the major league minimum pitching at AA.

God those terms made a terrible signing that much worse. That is the type of contract that is flat out brutal.

ESPN Baseball Tonight had someone on who said that the Cubs actually got Pods. I'm pretty sure the guy was just jumping the gun and didn't understand the waiver claim, but I figure its worth mentioning just in case.

It really is too bad Matt Murton would make it through waivers to the Sox cause I would love to pencil him in left field.

As I type this another guy on Baseball Tonight claims Connor Jackson was very close to being traded to the White Sox prior to the deadline.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 11:27 PM)
God those terms made a terrible signing that much worse. That is the type of contract that is flat out brutal.

Plus they gave him a full no trade clause so even if they wanted to they can't dump that contract on someone without his permission.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 11:35 PM)
ESPN Baseball Tonight had someone on who said that the Cubs actually got Pods. I'm pretty sure the guy was just jumping the gun and didn't understand the waiver claim, but I figure its worth mentioning just in case.

It really is too bad Matt Murton would make it through waivers to the Sox cause I would love to pencil him in left field.

As I type this another guy on Baseball Tonight claims Connor Jackson was very close to being traded to the White Sox prior to the deadline.

Perhaps a deal will be revisited in the offseason :huh Any word on who we would have traded? Likely Garland.

Also, I'd love to see us get Jackson.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 11:35 PM)

They also continued to refer to Kerry Wood as Woods (perhaps he was watching too much of the PGA Championship this afternoon). This was like the Group 4 of the Baseball Tonight crew.

I was perusing through the Cubs farm system and Donald Veal is a guy I would love. I don't know if the Cubs have soured on him enough (he's got a bad era, but very good periphs) and the Sox really loved this guy (drafted him before, but he opted to go to college...tremendously talented lefty).

Problem is its Pods we are giving up. However, I still say Pods is a great fit for the Cubs and its not like Veal is a top 5 or 10 prospect (at least not right now....he has the ability to do so though).

I'd clearly take a Ronny Cedeno or Murton (neither will get through waivers...remember they have to clear all the NL teams first and there is no way there isn't a team in the NL to go after one of those guys). Or do you take a chance on a guy like Ryan Harvey (been horrid in the minors, but was talented enough to be the 6th overall draft pick 3 or 4 years ago...unfortunately he pretty much missed his first two seasons so he still hasn't gotten past A ball.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 11:56 PM)
I was perusing through the Cubs farm system and Donald Veal is a guy I would love. I don't know if the Cubs have soured on him enough (he's got a bad era, but very good periphs) and the Sox really loved this guy (drafted him before, but he opted to go to college...tremendously talented lefty).

Problem is its Pods we are giving up. However, I still say Pods is a great fit for the Cubs and its not like Veal is a top 5 or 10 prospect (at least not right now....he has the ability to do so though).

I'd clearly take a Ronny Cedeno or Murton (neither will get through waivers...remember they have to clear all the NL teams first and there is no way there isn't a team in the NL to go after one of those guys). Or do you take a chance on a guy like Ryan Harvey (been horrid in the minors, but was talented enough to be the 6th overall draft pick 3 or 4 years ago...unfortunately he pretty much missed his first two seasons so he still hasn't gotten past A ball.

I believe/thought/heard that Veal is one of the Cubs top pitching prospects, but i am not 100% sure on it. I think that that is a pretty steep price for 1/2 of Glass Brothers Inc. But i wouldn't have a problem with that trade at all.

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
yeah, no deal is gonna happen... is Kenny insane?

The remaining 800k he's owed might cripple the team financially.

If we're gonna give him away for nothing, might as well hold on to him then non tender him. Otherwise, try to get something out of the Cubs.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 05:05 PM)
The remaining 800k he's owed might cripple the team financially.

If we're gonna give him away for nothing, might as well hold on to him then non tender him. Otherwise, try to get something out of the Cubs.

yeah, but I just got this feeling that Pods would be tendered since KW thinks so highly of Podsednik that it would take a top prospect or whatever for the Cubs to get him.