Resident Racism

Gregory Pratt

The Resident Evil video game series is, in a nutshell, about zombies and killing them.

The newest, RE 5, is set in Africa. The zombies are, for the first time, black.

People are crying foul. "That's racist!" "Oh, how could they portray black people as savages?" wrote one blogger according to the paper this morning.

I ask, What is wrong with America when we are so sensitive? They're zombies. Get over yourselves.

/rant

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 04:50 AM)
I do not think one blogger speaks for America.

This story extends well beyond one blogger.

Also, RE4 was set in Spain and featured you kicking the crap out of the Spanish. I don't remember any claims of racism there. :huh

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 10:52 PM)
Also, RE4 was set in Spain and featured you kicking the crap out of the Spanish. I don't remember any claims of racism there. :huh

This would really take a long time to explain, so let me simplify it:

If it doesn't involve black people, it's not racist.

I kid, I kid. Sorta.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 10:39 AM)
This would really take a long time to explain, so let me simplify it:

If it doesn't involve black people, or brown people,it's not racist.

I kid, I kid. Sorta.

Fixed that for you.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 02:36 PM)
I know. White people are so oppressed. It's like everytime I go into a store there like "look at him, I bet he tries to steal some stuff".

Reverse discrimination is still discrimination.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source

dis·crim·i·na·tion (dĭ-skrĭm'ə-nā'shən) Pronunciation Key

n.

1. The act of discriminating.

2. The ability or power to see or make fine distinctions; discernment.

3. Treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit; partiality or prejudice: racial discrimination; discrimination against foreigners.

Nowhere in there does it say 'unless you are white'.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 09:19 AM)
Nothing against white people is ever racist.

Very little against black people is ever racist either, they just cry slavery and racism anytime something goes wrong. That's not cold either, it's a fact that I've talked about with my african-american friends, and they all agree with me. There is FAR more religious prejudice than racial in this country.

Although I do not agree with the people complaining, to clarify: part of the issue was that, unlike most zombies, the African ones in RE5 don't look particularly zombie-like. The protestors think that it looks like a white dude shooting up a bunch of angry black people.

Of course, the Spaniard zombies in RE4 were also fairly human-ish.

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 02:57 PM)
Although I do not agree with the people complaining, to clarify: part of the issue was that, unlike most zombies, the African ones in RE5 don't look particularly zombie-like. The protestors think that it looks like a white dude shooting up a bunch of angry black people.

Of course, the Spaniard zombies in RE4 were also fairly human-ish.

I've not played the game or seen any screenshots, but I was struck by the irony that the zombies of voodo folk tradition from which the horror and video game zombies are descended were black, largely from a Hatian bastardization of west African Vodoun traditions.

Just thought I'd toss out that observation.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim