Andy Sisco

DBAHO

Little snippet;

Left-hander Andrew Sisco, who was a reliever to start the season, is 1-0 with a 1.73 ERA over five starts at Charlotte.

Now my question is, do we hang onto him? Is he going to get a chance to compete as a 5th starter next season? Or do you use him as bait to try and get a young SS who can contribute now?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 08:20 AM)
Little snippet;

Now my question is, do we hang onto him? Is he going to get a chance to compete as a 5th starter next season? Or do you use him as bait to try and get a young SS who can contribute now?

tough to say....i would doubt that the market for him would be that high after only 5 starts at AAA.....but staying fair to sisco he was a guy who was rushed and never got to dominate at the upper minors...and never got to start....i say we hold on for a bit longer...i dont think his stock is high enough yet to "sell high" for something now.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 10:38 AM)
tough to say....i would doubt that the market for him would be that high after only 5 starts at AAA.....but staying fair to sisco he was a guy who was rushed and never got to dominate at the upper minors...and never got to start....i say we hold on for a bit longer...i dont think his stock is high enough yet to "sell high" for something now.

And if he does make many starts in the minors and lives up to the hype, I would find room in the rotation for him.

A rotation of 3 lefties would mess with a lot of teams.

Bob

Good thread here.

They picked him up for a reason but miscalculated greatly on his ability to contribute to a big league bullpen.

Even when the Royals had him, their long term plan was to convert him to a starter. They carried him for a year as a Rule 5, by necessity he was in the bullpen and ended up being surprisingly effective for such an inexperienced guy. So they left him in the bullpen for the next year and he fell apart. The league has a knack for adjusting to young players and Sisco didn't have the experience to readjust.

Sisco has a really good strong arm but needs experience, confidence, and innings. I don't think the White Sox will give up on him, especially with these very good recent starts in Charlotte.

Obviously you can't keep everyone, and the White Sox do have some desireable young pitching. But they are very encouraged with his progress as a starter.

I'd trade broadway before sisco 10outa10 times. LHP > RHP. Sisco has a higher upside than lance and i believe hes younger by a bit.

Ideally we can package lance and jose and a bit of Cash for a decent SS and live BP arm.

Sisco is gonna be more expendable, especially because he's out of options and that in itself hampers what he could do with the Sox. I think they are going to at least look at what type of position prospects they could get for a guy like Sisco (whether an outfielder or a middle infielder).

However, I see no problem with Andy eventually sliding back to the pen but I have my doubts on him ever sticking as a starter (however I think moving him to the rotation in AAA was brilliant as it allowed him to improve his secondary stuff and improve his delivery).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 10:42 PM)
Sisco is gonna be more expendable, especially because he's out of options and that in itself hampers what he could do with the Sox. I think they are going to at least look at what type of position prospects they could get for a guy like Sisco (whether an outfielder or a middle infielder).

However, I see no problem with Andy eventually sliding back to the pen but I have my doubts on him ever sticking as a starter (however I think moving him to the rotation in AAA was brilliant as it allowed him to improve his secondary stuff and improve his delivery).

I'm pretty sure Sisco's not out of options. He wasn't on the Cubs 40-man in '05, which is why he was a rule 5 pick, which meant that he had to stay in the majors all year unless injured, which means he didn't burn an option that year, which means he's only burned options in the last two seasons, and thus has one remaining.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 09:10 PM)
I'm pretty sure Sisco's not out of options. He wasn't on the Cubs 40-man in '05, which is why he was a rule 5 pick, which meant that he had to stay in the majors all year unless injured, which means he didn't burn an option that year, which means he's only burned options in the last two seasons, and thus has one remaining.

That would be sweet (I thought I read where he was out, but I should know better than trust the papers as they can be off on that type of stuff).

In that case the Sox can play around with him a bit next year and it makes Masset the guy to watch this off-season (They are going to have to be pretty confident in him to keep him, especially considering the other 5th starter options, and the fact that with a good finish to AAA he could still have decent trade value).

I say this because I think the pen is almost finished (Wasserman, Logan, Jenks, Thornton, MacDougall, Bukvick all seem likely to stick). The two guys that could change are obviously Wasserman/Bukvick (if they struggle in the last month that could open up another spot, but again that spot could be filled by a number of Masset/Sisco/Floyd or someone else). As bad as our pen is, I kind of expect a lot of the same pieces to be back in the pen next year (the key is MacDougall and Thornton will have to step up there game again).

And no, I'm not saying that will necessarily be a good pen but I still feel some of those guys are more than likely to have much better seasons in 2008.

It will be interesting to see what the deal is with Sisco. Is he a guy who can't relieve, or is he a guy who just never developed because he never got to pitch enough? The way he has rounded into form, I think I am leaning towards #2. The way he has looked as a starter, I bring him into camp as a starting pitcher and give him a chance to win the #5 spot. (one of Vaz, Garland, or Contreras will be dealt in the offseason, I think) If Andy can't win the job as a starter, send him back to Charlotte as the closer and see if he can do that. If he still can't relieve down there, you know he will have to be a starter.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 09:14 PM)
It will be interesting to see what the deal is with Sisco. Is he a guy who can't relieve, or is he a guy who just never developed because he never got to pitch enough? The way he has rounded into form, I think I am leaning towards #2. The way he has looked as a starter, I bring him into camp as a starting pitcher and give him a chance to win the #5 spot. (one of Vaz, Garland, or Contreras will be dealt in the offseason, I think) If Andy can't win the job as a starter, send him back to Charlotte as the closer and see if he can do that. If he still can't relieve down there, you know he will have to be a starter.

His development was really cut short when he was selected in the rule V. Lucky for him he caught fire and pitched very well for a good chunk of the time with the Royals but the reality is this is a kid that really never got time to work and really develop into a good major league pitcher (he does have a major league arm though).

I really hope he's worked on his strides as Sisco was a guy who would always finish his stride (as part of his delivery) in a new place every pitch and that in itself is going to make it awfully freaking tough to throw strikes consistently.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 02:13 PM)
That would be sweet (I thought I read where he was out, but I should know better than trust the papers as they can be off on that type of stuff).

In that case the Sox can play around with him a bit next year and it makes Masset the guy to watch this off-season (They are going to have to be pretty confident in him to keep him, especially considering the other 5th starter options, and the fact that with a good finish to AAA he could still have decent trade value).

I say this because I think the pen is almost finished (Wasserman, Logan, Jenks, Thornton, MacDougall, Bukvick all seem likely to stick). The two guys that could change are obviously Wasserman/Bukvick (if they struggle in the last month that could open up another spot, but again that spot could be filled by a number of Masset/Sisco/Floyd or someone else). As bad as our pen is, I kind of expect a lot of the same pieces to be back in the pen next year (the key is MacDougall and Thornton will have to step up there game again).

And no, I'm not saying that will necessarily be a good pen but I still feel some of those guys are more than likely to have much better seasons in 2008.

What we do with the pen is going to be one of the more interesting parts of the off-season. I think there's a good chance Thornton could be dealt if he doesn't pick it up (which he really hasn't all season), considering there was good interest from the Yanks in him at the deadline. Of course the only way we would trade him is if we could find a suitable lefty replacement. That guy could be Sisco, or a FA.

Sisco was only able to net Ross Gload last season. After his major league performance this year, I really doubt you would be looking at anything better than that. He has a lot more upside than that so the Sox should hang on to him unless they throw him into a bigger deal to sweeten the pot.

A few thoughts:

*Sisco, along with Masset or Aardsma [both of whom are out of options] could very well be part of a larger deal that help the sox net a solid contributor--either a vet for the bullpen or a position player prospect.

*If the sox are convinced he's turned the corner, and could compete for the 5th starters' spot in 2008, they should hold onto him.

*Broadway, IMO, has more value to the sox. He could land in the rotation or in the bullpen. Sisco is likely only a SP for the sox at this point.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 10:20 PM)
A few thoughts:

*Sisco, along with Masset or Aardsma [both of whom are out of options] could very well be part of a larger deal that help the sox net a solid contributor--either a vet for the bullpen or a position player prospect.

No reason we need a vet in the pen. The pen is doing better lately + this team isn't that good. We need more than some setup guy to take this team to the next level. We need a plethora of new talent.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 03:19 AM)
No reason we need a vet in the pen. The pen is doing better lately + this team isn't that good. We need more than some setup guy to take this team to the next level. We need a plethora of new talent.

Mark my words, the sox will add a proven, solid vet to the bullpen this offseason. And the most likely route is via trade as free agency doesn't have "that" guy. MacDougal is too big an injury risk and the others are inexperienced. The bullpen is on a nice run. Yet for Kenny to stand pat and not add to the current mix, would be a huge mistake.

A team like TB or Pitt. could take on Sisco + Aardsma for example and trade one of their high priced relievers like Wheeler [TB] or Torres [Pitt.].

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)
His development was really cut short when he was selected in the rule V. Lucky for him he caught fire and pitched very well for a good chunk of the time with the Royals but the reality is this is a kid that really never got time to work and really develop into a good major league pitcher (he does have a major league arm though).

I really hope he's worked on his strides as Sisco was a guy who would always finish his stride (as part of his delivery) in a new place every pitch and that in itself is going to make it awfully freaking tough to throw strikes consistently.

I could really understand Andy's problems being a result of stunted developement, especially when you start to look at the funky delivery he has, and how physically big he is. That is a lot of body to have in the right place, at the right time. Plus if he never got his innings, not only has he not learned his mechanics, but he probably never had a grip on staying in his arm slot consistantly, and mastery of his secondary pitches. All of that is stuff is why I wanted to see Andy pitch as a starter all year in Charlotte, but it just didn't happen. Even if he doesn't make it with us, I could see Sisco being a late bloomer somewhere.