Willow Creek Leadership Summit

sox4lifeinPA

Please hold your "Jesus" skepticism for a moment...I had to.

This event is literally geared to pick the brains of some of the greatest leaders in the world to help close the gap of church leadership and cutting edge leadership skills and development. Colin Powell, Jimmy Carter, Michael Porter, Marcus Buckingham, Carly Fiorina...yeah. "Church" leadership conference on crack.

The Website

I attended this thursday and friday and I wouldn't dare do the speakers injustice by summarizing their words...especially because my head is still spinning. Just look at the names on that list.

my favorite: Michael E Porter

Anyone else attend?

my goal will be to blog my summaries of the speaker's and my experience over the next week. stay tuned.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 10:41 AM)
That actually sounds like a pretty cool initiative. On the whole, church leadership can do with some pointers.

Do me a favor though, if you're listening to a speaker you really disagree with, give him the slow jerk. :lol:

omg....

I'm waiting on customers and trying to hold back the tears...

It was a simulcast from Chicago. Where's South Barrington in comparison to where people are at?

It's an amazing initiative because I'm not a huge Bill Hybels fan. You can't argue with his passion, however. Church leaders need to get a clue. Jim, are you familiar with Michael Porter?

Carly Fiorina is a scary, scary woman. And not in any good way. She was in many ways the worst stereotypes of a big corporate CEO gone mad on power. How she could be looked upon as a church leader is beyond me.

But other than that, I have to say, hearing those names speak about faith would probably be very interesting.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 11:18 AM)
Jim, are you familiar with Michael Porter?

No, other than he's some sort of corporate economist or other.

I could see Gordon Gecko speaking in that line-up:

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that God, for lack of a better word, is good. God is right, God works. God clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. God, in all of its forms; God for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And God, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you very much.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)
Carly Fiorina is a scary, scary woman. And not in any good way. She was in many ways the worst stereotypes of a big corporate CEO gone mad on power. How she could be looked upon as a church leader is beyond me.

But other than that, I have to say, hearing those names speak about faith would probably be very interesting.

I was impressed with Carly, but not without reservation. I wasn't sympathetic with why she was fired, except that she apparently didn't get much more than a note from a secretary, but it's not about touching feely emotions in the high powered corporate world.

She reminded me of my mom. I, of course, shuddered.

A few more reflections on the past two days:

*We (as Christians) need be the first in a social setting to reach across the racial divide.

*What is truly difficult is to do "good" and be effective.

*We are in a mind set of Charity and Philanthropy which places emphasis on the giver their "good feelings" and not the recipiant and their well being.

*Most organizations suffer from "Not invented here" syndrome rather than support existing organizations that may in fact do the things you're passionate better in the first place.

*Focus on a "Solution Model"; Heal the wound, not simply stop the bleeding

*Us and not the government must make things happen. We cannot depend upon the government to get these things done. (my favorite from Michael Porter)