Network Router Ideas

Texsox

I will be setting up a new home network and started reviewing routers. I am leaning towards a Wireless-N and noticed that they are offering ones that will allow a USB hard drive to hook in. Nothing I am planning on using now. I also am looking at a wire less print sharing hookup.

Basically it will be in a 1,000 sq foot duplex with two laptops and possibly a Linux based desktop. The two desktops are running VISTA and XP. The internet link will most likely be via cable, but possibly DSL.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
I will be setting up a new home network and started reviewing routers. I am leaning towards a Wireless-N and noticed that they are offering ones that will allow a USB hard drive to hook in. Nothing I am planning on using now. I also am looking at a wire less print sharing hookup.

Basically it will be in a 1,000 sq foot duplex with two laptops and possibly a Linux based desktop. The two desktops are running VISTA and XP. The internet link will most likely be via cable, but possibly DSL.

The only thing you have to worry about with N right now is interoperability. N is not a set standard like A/B/G. It should be a standard soon. Now the good news, is that most of the Pre-N products are software upgradeable and follow the proposed standard for most of the way. With the MIMO technology you should get better penetration with your wireless signal as well as greater speed.

DLink, Apple, and Linksys are all pretty good bets from the Pre-N router standpoint.

One thing that I have deployed at my house, is powerline ethernet. Using the power backbone of my house as a conduit for LAN traffic. I have a Cisco switch in my attic that feeds my 2nd floor network runs, and the trunk feeds off of a powerline ethernet feed. As long as they are behind the same electrical meter you can communicate.