Karl Rove to resign

kapkomet

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 01:51 PM)
Oh, it's ok. Obama is the Second Coming.

Seriously. Do you not want to have a serious debate? Or do you just want to make sure that threads descend into snark? Because if it's the latter good job, keep going.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 06:02 PM)
Seriously. Do you not want to have a serious debate? Or do you just want to make sure that threads descend into snark? Because if it's the latter good job, keep going.

Oh, I'd say a little of both, simply because it's about all I get on the other side of things. I'm a glutton for punishment and snark.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
The world might hate him, but he is a master at what he does.

And that may be the sadest commentary of all. He was arguably one of the ten most powerful men in the world. His control over President Bush seemed absolute.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)
And that may be the sadest commentary of all. He was arguably one of the ten most powerful men in the world. His control over President Bush seemed absolute.

OOOOOOOOOKaaay... that's taking it a little too far.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 04:47 PM)
How so? How much influence do you think he had on President Bush?

I'd suggest that Bush had less control than most Presidents do over his own policy - and amazingly, I think that was by his choice. But, I think Rove was only one of a number of strong actors around him that influenced most of his moves pretty heavily.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
I'd suggest that Bush had less control than most Presidents do over his own policy - and amazingly, I think that was by his choice. But, I think Rove was only one of a number of strong actors around him that influenced most of his moves pretty heavily.

Exactly. You're giving Rove way too much credit. They actually pretty much do run things by committee, I think. That's why it seems like it is so "exclusive" to so many people... they run a very tight ship, and most don't like that.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 02:55 PM)
Exactly. You're giving Rove way too much credit. They actually pretty much do run things by committee, I think. That's why it seems like it is so "exclusive" to so many people... they run a very tight ship, and most don't like that.

Well, the best argument that Rove was in control over an awful lot of things is all of the statements and evidence we have of politicization of everything within the administration. And Mr. Rove was the guy in charge of that specific thing. The director of the faith based initiative program saying everything was being politicized, the statement about marketing the Iraq war that "you dont' introduce a new product in August", the use of the RNC email accounts for all sorts of official government business, the "how do we use this department to help the Republican party" briefings held at seemingly every cabinet department, the politicization of the Justice department and the attempts to use the control of the Attorneys to help win elections, and on and on and on.