2008 White Sox

DBAHO

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 14, 2007 -> 03:32 PM)
Some good discussion in here.

Depending on the cost, Dunn is a guy I have thought about as well. Aside from Bailey(who all the sudden isn't a sure thing) I believe Cinny is thin in pitching. If you could get some nice prospects back for Thome, then turn Gio and someone else for Dunn, I would be all over it.

Dunn is still under Cinci's control next season. I'm not sure exactly how his contract works, but at least this year, if he was traded, he became a Free Agent at the end of this year. I have no idea how that translates next year, but he's certainly not a FA this offseason, and thus, would probably cost Gio + additional.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)
Dunn is still under Cinci's control next season. I'm not sure exactly how his contract works, but at least this year, if he was traded, he became a Free Agent at the end of this year. I have no idea how that translates next year, but he's certainly not a FA this offseason, and thus, would probably cost Gio + additional.

5.) Adam Dunn 28 '08 TO worth $13M or $500K BO (Option is eliminated if traded + $500K assignment bonus)

uribe is perhaps the worst offensive everyday player in baseball....jason kendall may be worse actually....

he hits an occasional home run, yes, but.....he doesn't hit for average...he doenst walk....he doesnt hit 2bs or 3bs.....he has 0 speed

his obp last year was .257....this year its .276....for the record carlos zambrano has a .262 obp this year....with a similar HR ratio might i add

uribe is a good defender, yes...but he has to go

he was listed as the worst offensive ss in the majors by our friend dayn perry

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7104348

These are the realistic moves i could see the sox making.

Garland to the dodgers for Furcal and Tony Abreu.

Furcal is having a down year and isn't worth 13mil maybe 7-9 tops.

Furcal fills the speedy lead off hitter and has great defense at SS, we bite the bullet on the contract, possibly even extend him around the ASB.

Abreu has worn out his welcome with the dodger FO seeing how his agent is none other than Boras. Abreu adds depth and talent incase Furcal leaves, or Richar doesn't pan out.

The Dodgers and Scott Boras, the agent for Tony Abreu, are reportedly at odds over the timing and extent of an abdominal injury that has kept the 22-year-old infielder out for nearly a month. Abreu hasn't started a game since July 6, when he felt a sharp pain in his side after lunging to field a bunt late in a game against the Florida Marlins. Fearing he might have appendicitis, the Dodgers took him to a hospital, but tests were negative. Abreu appeared in four more games -- entering as a pinch-hitter but also playing the field twice -- before being sent to triple A on July 18 to clear a roster spot for reliever Roberto Hernandez, but he hasn't played since. "He's on the inactive list at triple A. I'm not going to get into it," General Manager Ned Colletti said Sunday. "Last thing I saw, he was playing in the big leagues. The last time I saw Tony Abreu he was running first to third and playing in the big leagues." But an associate of Boras said it was apparent that Abreu was playing in pain and should have gone on the major league disabled list instead of being sent down. The difference is not insignificant. By being put on the disabled list Abreu would continue to draw a big league salary and accrue major league service time, becoming eligible for arbitration and free agency earlier. -- LA Times
that excerpt was taken from ladugout.com

Chin Lung-Hu is ready to step into SS next season and the dodgers have 2B depth with Young who formally played 2B and DeWitt aside from Kent activating his 2008 option; its guaranteed with 550 plate appearances in 2007.

QUOTE(beautox @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 03:33 AM)
These are the realistic moves i could see the sox making.

Garland to the dodgers for Furcal and Tony Abreu.

Furcal is having a down year and isn't worth 13mil maybe 7-9 tops.

Furcal fills the speedy lead off hitter and has great defense at SS, we bite the bullet on the contract, possibly even extend him around the ASB.

Abreu has worn out his welcome with the dodger FO seeing how his agent is none other than Boras. Abreu adds depth and talent incase Furcal leaves, or Richar doesn't pan out.

that excerpt was taken from ladugout.com

Chin Lung-Hu is ready to step into SS next season and the dodgers have 2B depth with Young who formally played 2B and DeWitt aside from Kent activating his 2008 option; its guaranteed with 550 plate appearances in 2007.

Errrr...remember this is the White Sox we are talking about. They don't deal with Boras. That leaves Abreu off the table. Unless it's someone like A-Rod, the Sox almost definitely won't deal with a Boras client.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 09:53 AM)
Errrr...remember this is the White Sox we are talking about. They don't deal with Boras. That leaves Abreu off the table. Unless it's someone like A-Rod, the Sox almost definitely won't deal with a Boras client.

Abreu is about 5 years away from free agency much like another Boras client the Sox traded for this past offseason, John Danks.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 09:56 AM)
Abreu is about 5 years away from free agency much like another Boras client the Sox traded for this past offseason, John Danks.

But, do you think they would have Crede (if resigned), Danks AND Abreu? I'm just not sure about that. And I think that Danks was a power play to get Jordan in the fold again (hopefully, if he's available when the Sox draft).

If, and this is a BIG IF, Danks and Abreu are breakout stars, you think the Sox are going to want to deal with them going to FA in 5 years? I don't.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 09:03 AM)
But, do you think they would have Crede (if resigned), Danks AND Abreu? I'm just not sure about that. And I think that Danks was a power play to get Jordan in the fold again (hopefully, if he's available when the Sox draft).

If, and this is a BIG IF, Danks and Abreu are breakout stars, you think the Sox are going to want to deal with them going to FA in 5 years? I don't.

You think the Sox plan 5 years in advance? I don't. And based on their history with Crede, it appears Boras isn't an issue for them in the early years.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 08:11 AM)
what about Edgar Renteria in the offseason? Braves will be looking to unload him and his salary and to make room for Yunel.

Well, it depends on the price. At the trading deadline, the price they were talking about for ERent-a-player was Garland. And at least to my eyes, a SS with 1 year on his contract at $10 mil a year (assuming the Braves keep Boston's money) has a much lower value than a similarly priced quality starting pitcher.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 10:06 AM)
You think the Sox plan 5 years in advance? I don't. And based on their history with Crede, it appears Boras isn't an issue for them in the early years.

I really don't think they care about what might happen 5 years down the line.

I do...I think they cringe every time they hear his name. I understand what both of you are saying, but I think they would like to minimize the Boras contact, even with Rich Hahn doing most of the communicating with the Boras camp. I think dealing with him once is tolerable, twice is doable for the greater good, but 3+ is probably pushing it.

UNLESS, they are trying to change their ways.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 09:32 AM)
I do...I think they cringe every time they hear his name. I understand what both of you are saying, but I think they would like to minimize the Boras contact, even with Rich Hahn doing most of the communicating with the Boras camp. I think dealing with him once is tolerable, twice is doable for the greater good, but 3+ is probably pushing it.

UNLESS, they are trying to change their ways.

Their way for the past 6+ years has been to not worry about dealing with Boras until it becomes an issue. I suspect they will continue that path as you suggest. Which means they don't care about 5 years from now today.

In regards to the SS hole, what about Cabrera from LAA? I know that the Angels have tried to move him in the past and probably wouldn't ask for too much if the Sox were willing to pay all/most of his remaining contract. I think he would work perfect in the #2 hole and could possible leadoff if needed. He is usually good for a .270-.280 average(.306 this year), he has decent gap power(.400 SLG), he has solid plate discipline(doesn't draw many walks but has never SO more than 64 times in a season), he runs well(usually good for about 20SB at an 80% clip), and he is still above average defensively. Renteria is another option and would be an upgrade over Cabrera, but would cost more in a trade. I would be willing to take a chance on Greene(if the asking price isn't too high) and hope that a move to a great hitters park would really benefit him(based on his home/away splits that would be the case). If the Sox could get a .270/20-25/75-85 .330/.470/.800 stat line from Greene, than I would be happy. Although that would mean the Sox would have to fill the leadoff spot from one of the outfield positions(possible Owens if he can continue to hit .280+ and draw a few more walks).

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
In regards to the SS hole, what about Cabrera from LAA? I know that the Angels have tried to move him in the past and probably wouldn't ask for too much if the Sox were willing to pay all/most of his remaining contract. I think he would work perfect in the #2 hole and could possible leadoff if needed. He is usually good for a .270-.280 average(.306 this year), he has decent gap power(.400 SLG), he has solid plate discipline(doesn't draw many walks but has never SO more than 64 times in a season), he runs well(usually good for about 20SB at an 80% clip), and he is still above average defensively. Renteria is another option and would be an upgrade over Cabrera, but would cost more in a trade. I would be willing to take a chance on Greene(if the asking price isn't too high) and hope that a move to a great hitters park would really benefit him(based on his home/away splits that would be the case). If the Sox could get a .270/20-25/75-85 .330/.470/.800 stat line from Greene, than I would be happy. Although that would mean the Sox would have to fill the leadoff spot from one of the outfield positions(possible Owens if he can continue to hit .280+ and draw a few more walks).

Anthrax???

I don't mind keeping Richar has the opening day 2nd basemen next season. I'd like to see Crede back at 3rd, Fields in left, and Dye in right next year. For shortstop I don't really want Greene on this team, I wouldn't want to give up Garland for him at least, plus his hair creeps me out a bit. As far as Rowand, I'm finally on the bandwagon to get him back. I'd love to see him back in center field and if Rowand is back in center field, that would mean we'd need a shortstop that could be a leadoff hitter.

1.) Owens, Jerry - CF - L

2.) Eckstein, David - SS - R

3.) Thome, Jim - DH - L

4.) Konerko, Paul - 1B - R

5.) Dye, Jermaine - RF - R

6.) Pierzynski, AJ - C - L

7.) Fields, Josh - LF - R

8.) Richar, Danny - 2B - L

9.) Crede, Joe - 3B - R

Just thought I'd jot this down so it is on record.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 01:50 PM)
There's no way I'd make a prediction right now with Rowand not on the Sox.

1.) Eckstein, David - SS - R

2.) Rowand, Aaron - CF - R

3.) Thome, Jim - DH - L

8.) Crede, Joe - 3B - R

9.) Richar, Danny - 2B - L

Eh, that's a little righty heavy.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 17, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
1.) Owens, Jerry - CF - L

2.) Eckstein, David - SS - R

3.) Thome, Jim - DH - L

8.) Richar, Danny - 2B - L

9.) Crede, Joe - 3B - R

Just thought I'd jot this down so it is on record.

That's hideous.