It was bound to happen

juddling

Former Dodger and MLB All-Star Jose Offerman continued his hot hitting with the Long Island Ducks of the Independent Atlantic League last night, smashing a first-inning home run and the pitcher with his hot bat. After getting hit by a pitch in his second at-bat, Offerman charged the mound with bat in hand.

"He hit him with a cut fastball in the left calf," Bluefish manager Tommy John said. "And the next thing you know, Offerman's going to the mound with his bat over his head taking swings at [pitcher Matt] Beech. He took at least two, maybe even three [swings]."

Beech left the game with a broken finger. Catcher John Nathans, who tried to restrain Offerman, suffered concussion-like symptoms. And Offerman has a court date on August 23rd. Something about $10,000 bail and second-degree assault charges.

:chair :chair :jerry :jerry :chair :chair

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
You are kidding, right?

I didn't say that was a good thing, but don't you think that in the back of his mind that bat incident won't pop up every time he tries to hit a batter? Especially if he hit Jose on purpose, thnking he would get him back for hitting the home run. Every time he hits a batter, and that batter takes a step towards the plate, i bet he pees his pants. Especially if the batter hasn't dropped the bat yet.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 10:50 AM)
I didn't say that was a good thing, but don't you think that in the back of his mind that bat incident won't pop up every time he tries to hit a batter? Especially if he hit Jose on purpose, thnking he would get him back for hitting the home run. Every time he hits a batter, and that batter takes a step towards the plate, i bet he pees his pants. Especially if the batter hasn't dropped the bat yet.

I didn't mean to imply you thought it was a "good" thing.

From my end I don't see the justification of his actions for something that - whether right or wrong - has been part of baseball for ever. If it happens again I would guess he would think "come on and assult me... hope you enjoy your few hours at the police station". To be honest, I wish this would have happened to Roger when he threw the bat a few years ago.