Trouble with the iPod...

Whitewashed in '05

I just recently went out of town and forgot my charger for the iPod so I bought another usb cable to connect it to my computer, a cheap ass off brand one. It's a 30 gig video (5th gen) I think it is.

I charged it and safely removed it. Then it gave me some error about transferring files through a firewire cable?? I was using a USB cable. Now ever since that error came up when I disconnected it, my ipod won't turn off. I play a song and press pause and just stays on. I even pause the song then turn the hold switch on. I try to hold pause...nothing. I tried reseting it by holding the menu and button in the middle still nothing. I updated to the newest iTunes and updated it to the latest firmware. Then after backing up all my music because I renamed a ton of stuff for hours, I completely restored it. Latest firmware, wiped it clean... still won't turn off.

The only way it will turn off is if the battery runs out and that still didn't help last night before I did all of the above.

I will continue to research to fix it, but if anyone knows how to fix it that would save me a headache.

Also want to add that after restoring it I saw that dumb firewire message again really quick then went away. I've only seen it 3 times.