Will Paul Konerko pass Frank Thomas's Sox HR record?

southsider2k5

Thomas or Konerko?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Will PK pass up Big Frank as the Sox all time HR leader

• Yes
    • No
    • Close, but not quite

So I was looking at the numbers. Before the start of tonights game, Pauly has 261 homers with the Sox, while Frank Thomas had 448. Konerko still as the rest of this year, plus 4 more years on his contract. He currently trails by 187 homers, meaning if he can get to 30 or so this year, he would need to average 45 a year over the next 4 years to tie Frank, or average a little less, but get another contract extention to pass him.

So what are the chances that it happens?

Maybe. I could see it, but there are to many if's. He has never had any injury problems to speak of during major league career, but he is getting older and his hip isn't the greatest. Time will tell if he does stay healthy.

Secondly, I don't think he could do it in just 4 years, but if he signs another extension and stays with the white sox, then I could see it (if healthy!).

With that being said, I am rooting for him so I vote yes.

Lets say Konerko finishes of this season with 30 homers. That would be 7 more leaving him with 180 to go. Now, if he stays relatively healthy for the rest of his career and stays and plays with the white sox for 8 more season after this season, it will only take him an average of 22/23 homers a season to surpass Thomas.

It really isn't that much of a longshot.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 09:17 PM)
I don't see his hip allowing him to play 8 more seasons with the White Sox.

I do, but I don't see him being able to maintain his power. Paulie's a good enough hitter than he can hit .300 with no problem, but if/when his hip starts breaking down, he's probably going to struggle to hit 20 homers.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 08:45 PM)
So I was looking at the numbers. Before the start of tonights game, Pauly has 261 homers with the Sox, while Frank Thomas had 448. Konerko still as the rest of this year, plus 4 more years on his contract. He currently trails by 187 homers, meaning if he can get to 30 or so this year, he would need to average 45 a year over the next 4 years to tie Frank, or average a little less, but get another contract extention to pass him.

So what are the chances that it happens?

Konerko signed a 5 year deal following the '05 season....

By my count. he has 3 years (and six weeks) remaining on that contract.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 08:46 PM)
Konerko signed a 5 year deal following the '05 season....

By my count. he has 3 years (and six weeks) remaining on that contract.

Yep, and that's about 110-120 HRs. I don't foresee Paulie being around after his contract is up.

I don't really think his hip is much of an issue. The problems are that he's not someone who hits 45 home runs a year and even if he plays the rest of his career with the Sox, extremely few players have the durability to be hitting even 20 HRs a year at 40 years old.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 09:17 PM)
I don't see his hip (contract, trade likely) allowing him to play 8 more seasons with the White Sox.

I don't expect anyone to sign a second contract with the Sox, so a third would be amazing.

Edit: Then again, maybe with Bonds trainer he could do it in three years :ph34r: