Any sake drinkers?

FlaSoxxJim

I've always enjoyed sake, which despite often being referred to as "rice wine" actually has much more in common with beer (e.g., brewed from cereal ingredient and then fermented, not fermented from crushed, uncooked fruit). Despite my fondness for most of the sake I have tried and an admiration for the traditional production process (e.g, using managed cultures of Aspergillus oryzae mold to convert starch to fermentable sugar, analogous to the natural amylase activity in barley), I've only just begun to pick up on the nuances of the different sake styles.

So far, my hands-down favorite style is Nigori – roughly filtered to unfiltered so that it remains clouded with suspended moromi (fermentation mash), and pretty much the way all sake was made for 2000 years until ultrafiltration and pasteurization became the norm. It's sweeter and more full bodied than other sakes, meant to be served chilled, with a creamy mouthfeel not unlike Guinness. It's a perfect accompaniment to spicy Thai food.

The point of nigori is to preserves the brewery fresh flavor of the moromi, so if you like brewpub beer unfiltered right from the bright tanks you'll probably like this. Because nigori is more perishable compared to the filtered and pasteurized products, the freshest stuff is often American in origin rather than Japanese. AI've had products from Ozeki and Takara and they are both really good. Right now I'm drinking one from Gekkeikan that is from Japan and it has weathered the trip to the states well.

Anyway, I thought I'd share the discovery and see if there was anybody else out there that has any other styles they recommend.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

The only kind I have had is Nigori, and that is when i go to Domo 77 in Wheaton/Warrenville or Kobe in Lake Zurich. Nigori seems to be the preferred Sake at Japanese Steakhouses. I havent had any alternatives, but i do like nigori :)

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 10:01 AM)
The only kind I have had is Nigori, and that is when i go to Domo 77 in Wheaton/Warrenville or Kobe in Lake Zurich. Nigori seems to be the preferred Sake at Japanese Steakhouses. I havent had any alternatives, but i do like nigori :)

I'm jealous. Neither our Japanese steakhouses or our sushi bars sell nigori. Most stick with traditional dry junmai sake that can be served hot or cold. Occasionally they will offer a ginjo that uses more finely polished rice and can be more complex flavor-wise.

Actually, i just went and checked a bottle me and my wife had from our 1st anniversary, and we were served Sho Chiku Bai premium Ginjo Sake. So apparently i have had a different brand of sake.

unfortunately i cannot report on the taste of this brand, because that night I was overloaded on sake, rice wine, champaign, and japanese beer. :)

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 10:26 AM)
Actually, i just went and checked a bottle me and my wife had from our 1st anniversary, and we were served Sho Chiku Bai premium Ginjo Sake. So apparently i have had a different brand of sake.

unfortunately i cannot report on the taste of this brand, because that night I was overloaded on sake, rice wine, champaign, and japanese beer. :)

If that is from Takara USA I've had it and it's really nice. Takara USA's marketing line is that their water comes from Sierra Nevada Mountain snow melt and local Sacramento Valley rice. At first I naively though Japanese sake had to be better than American versions, but the Japanese parent company keeps Takara USA's quality standards high and I have not been disappointed by anything I've tried from them.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 09:40 AM)
If that is from Takara USA I've had it and it's really nice. Takara USA's marketing line is that their water comes from Sierra Nevada Mountain snow melt and local Sacramento Valley rice. At first I naively though Japanese sake had to be better than American versions, but the Japanese parent company keeps Takara USA's quality standards high and I have not been disappointed by anything I've tried from them.

Yep, bottled by Takara USA printed on the back.

There is just something about drinking this stuff hot. Its the only liquor I really like served above room temperature.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
Yep, bottled by Takara USA printed on the back.

There is just something about drinking this stuff hot. Its the only liquor I really like served above room temperature.

I like meads and honey-wines heated as well, and I'll enjoy hot mulled wine around the holidays, but for the most part I agree.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 10:52 PM)
Not familiar with sake but very very familiar with soju.

Cool. I've not had the Korean stuff, but I recently tried the Japanese equivalent, shochu, for the first time. I guess it is now at least as popular in Japan as sake but it's to strong to be an everyday drink for me.