Frank Thomas

Hideaway Lights

QUOTE(rangercal @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 12:14 AM)
you pretty much showed how you feel when you said " I'll take it." I just could not agree, that's all.

How isn't he earning his money? I didn't think I had to justify those numbers coming from a hitter who's guaranteed only $21.5M over 3 years from the Sox. Good luck finding a better bargain from a player with at least 6 years of service time.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 12:42 AM)
How isn't he earning his money? I didn't think I had to justify those numbers coming from a hitter who's guaranteed only $21.5M over 3 years from the Sox. Good luck finding a better bargain from a player with at least 6 years of service time.

No, no, no...the official line is that Thome is unclutch, the Sox didn't need another slow power hitter, and the Sox lost the attitude and chemistry that propelled them to a World Series when they traded Rowand. If you have trouble remembering that don't worry, someone will post it again sometime soon.

No, no, no...the official line is that Thome is unclutch, the Sox didn't need another slow power hitter, and the Sox lost the attitude and chemistry that propelled them to a World Series when they traded Rowand. If you have trouble remembering that don't worry, someone will post it again sometime soon.

Complete bulls***.

Prove that Thome is unclutch

Prove that the 2005 White Sox won the World Series and the 2006 didn't because of chemistry, not because of pitching.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 12:42 AM)

He is a bargain for that price. But you can't act as if he were a free agent pickup. The sox paid an arm and a leg extra, just to get him at a fair salary.

BTW, who ever said he isn't clutch, has no idea what they are talking about.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)
He is a bargain for that price. But you can't act as if he were a free agent pickup. The sox paid an arm and a leg extra, just to get him at a fair salary.

I was one of the first to get on him for not being clutch, but I didn't mean in the 7th or 8th inning. Rather, my whole thing has been that he has done next to nothing since being on the Sox in the 9th inning in a tied game or when the Sox are down a run or two (with a man on).

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 04:22 AM)
Complete bulls***.

Prove that the 2005 White Sox won the World Series and the 2006 didn't because of chemistry, not because of pitching.

Everyone knows the only reason we didn't repeat was because Aaron wasn't on the team. :rolleyes

QUOTE(rangercal @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 10:13 AM)

Aaron Rowand is not an arm and a leg, it was made to look worse by the failure of Anderson but Rowand is hardly a finger.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 10:54 AM)
is that based on fact?

Well, we're dealing with hypothetical body parts here and much of this is based on personal feelings. I suppose you could make a case that it's opinion, though I'm not sure why anyone would ever consider Aaron Rowand to be "an arm and a leg." Especially when you're getting one of the best power hitting lefties in the game in return.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 04:36 PM)
Well, we're dealing with hypothetical body parts here and much of this is based on personal feelings. I suppose you could make a case that it's opinion, though I'm not sure why anyone would ever consider Aaron Rowand to be "an arm and a leg." Especially when you're getting one of the best power hitting lefties in the game in return.

lol great answer :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 10:20 AM)
As a late contributor to this thread... Frank Thomas > Jim Thome, Frank Thomas less $$ Jim Thome, Frank Thomas older than Jim Thome, Frank Thomas more Soxy than Jim Thome.

:lol:

^^ :notworthy ^^

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 10:22 AM)
Complete bulls***.

Wow, apparently that one went completely over your head.

"Swing and a miss..."

What's funny is people think Frank is having a good year, but Thome who has 6 more homers in 90 less ABs than Frank is "losing" power. He's also walked 12 more times.

Even funnier is how Thome should be a platoon DH:

Thome's splits:

vs. RHP: .314/.456/.624 in 314 PA's

vs. LHP: .192/.307/.331 in 150 PA's

Thomas' splits:

vs. RHP: .245/.348/.407 in 425 PA's

vs. LHP: .333/.438/.611 in 129 PA's

If Thome is considered a "platoon" DH, than Frank should be considered as the other, lesser part of that platoon.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)
What's funny is people think Frank is having a good year, but Thome who has 6 more homers in 90 less ABs than Frank is "losing" power. He's also walked 12 more times.

Let's see how Thome is when he's 39.5 years old... two years makes a big difference when you get in your upper 30's.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 01:29 PM)
Let's see how Thome is when he's 39.5 years old... two years makes a big difference when you get in your upper 30's.

Then why are they even being compared in the first place? If the difference in age makes them impossible to compare then why are these comparisons being made? Maybe it's about time they end.