Pods Hurt Again

TLAK

RotoWorld

Scott Podsednik-OF- White Sox Aug. 21 - 11:07 pm et

Scott Podsednik left Tuesday's game in the sixth inning due to a strained right rib cage.

It was a strain to the other side that put him on the disabled list last month. If this turns out to be Podsednik's third major injury of the year, the White Sox will likely resume playing Darin Erstad regularly.

MLB.Com Alex Gyr

Scott Podsednik was removed from the ballgame in the top of the sixth inning. He strained a right rib cage muscle while hitting in the fourth inning.

Podsednik has been on the disabled list twice this season, including one stint due to a strained left rib cage muscle. Guillen reported that, for now, his left fielder is day-to-day.

"Those injuries are pretty hard to heal right away," Guillen said. "I just feel bad for him. This guy wants to stay in the game. It is frustrating for him because he can't play the way he wants to play all year because of injury."

This just shows why we need more platoon lineups. In 2008 we could platoon Erstad / BA in CF, Pods / Ozuna in LF, Sweeney / Terrero in RF and Dye / Thome at DH, Richar / Gonzalez at 2B, A.J. / Hall at C, Uribe / Cintron at SS and Konerko / Rogowski at 1B.

Our only real problem for next year is needing a lefthanded hitting thirdbaseman to platoon with Fields. Ozzie clearly needs to use more platoons but any way you look at it we can't afford to lose a valuable platoon player like Podsednik.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 07:09 AM)
This just shows why we need more platoon lineups. In 2008 we could platoon Erstad / BA in CF, Pods / Ozuna in LF, Sweeney / Terrero in RF and Dye / Thome at DH, Richar / Gonzalez at 2B, A.J. / Hall at C, Uribe / Cintron at SS and Konerko / Rogowski at 1B.

Our only real problem for next year is needing a lefthanded hitting thirdbaseman to platoon with Fields. Ozzie clearly needs to use more platoons but any way you look at it we can't afford to lose a valuable platoon player like Podsednik.

In light of Pods 3rd injury this year, and his 6th or 7th since he joined the Sox in 2005, why in the heck would you want Pods on the team next year?

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 12:09 PM)

Please, no Erstad or Pods in '08. As for the rest of the platoon lineup, .500 is about the only thing a Sox fan can hope for with those projections :P

You do realize Rogo is hitting .236 in Charlotte right? I can't even imagine what that would translate to up here.

Platoon line ups? I am just hoping that we have a healthy group in 2008 and this was just a bad dream this year. If Pods is healthy, if Erstad is healthy, if Thome is healthy, if Contreras is healthy, if our relievers are healthy, etc, etc, the Sox can win games and be a contender in 2008.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 07:34 AM)
You do realize Rogo is hitting .236 in Charlotte right? I can't even imagine what that would translate to up here.

Casey has been playing alot of LF this year, but yeah, his average is .236 mostly from a terrible 1st half.

I sure wish the Cubs would have taken Pods :lolhitting

As much as I hate to see injuries, this may be a blessing in disguise because I think it officially puts the end to the Sox ever considering Pods an option for the outfield next season. I thank Scotty for 05 and wish him the best of luck with some other team next year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 01:10 PM)
As much as I hate to see injuries, this may be a blessing in disguise because I think it officially puts the end to the Sox ever considering Pods an option for the outfield next season. I thank Scotty for 05 and wish him the best of luck with some other team next year.

Pods was great for us in 2005 but that has been it. Pods need not to come back at all. We should try out Sweeney in CF or Anderson. Let them play the way we are letting Richar, Owens and Fields play regularly.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 01:10 PM)

Pods was great for us in 2005 but that has been it. Pods need not to come back at all. We should try out Sweeney in CF or Anderson. Let them play the way we are letting Richar, Owens and Fields play regularly.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
Pods pinch ran today so the injury can't be or shouldn't be that serious. Just a few days off is all.

Rib Cage injuries dont impede you from pinch running. Its swinging that piece of wood real hard that is the issue. The last time he did this he was on the DL for a while.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
Rib Cage injuries dont impede you from pinch running. Its swinging that piece of wood real hard that is the issue. The last time he did this he was on the DL for a while.

You are assuming he could swing that piece of wood real hard in the first place.

I think we need more starting caliber players, not more platoons. Besides, why the hell would you want to take AB's away from Dye to play Sweeney and Terrero? If we aren't going to bring a CF in and still keep Crede, start an OF of Fields-Anderson/Sweeney-Dye. I could see platooning Anderson and Sweeney in CF, but I'd end the platoons right there. Hopefully over the offseason Pods and Erstad take a cruise to the Bermuda Triangle together and disappear.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 22, 2007 -> 02:38 PM)
Hopefully he's had his final AB in a White Sox uniform.

I think he has.

Podsednik through for the season?

A DL stint could end his career with Sox

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

August 23, 2007

Carrying 13 pitchers gives White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen a chance to make evaluations now for 2008.

But Scott Podsednik's latest rib-cage injury could force the White Sox to make a roster move. Podsednik's playing days with the Sox could be over if he isn't ready to play as soon as Thursday because Andy Gonzalez is currently the only healthy position player besides backup catcher Toby Hall.

"[if] it gets to the point that we put him on the [disabled list], then he could be done for the season because it's 15 days plus rehab with the minor-league season going to be over pretty soon," Guillen said. "We'll try to stay away from that."

Guillen had to use Podsednik as a pinch-runner for Jim Thome as the potential tying run in the ninth inning of Wednesday's 7-6 loss to Kansas City.

Podsednik declined to talk about his injury, suffered Tuesday while swinging the bat. He missed more than two months because of a right adductor strain, and missed three weeks in July because of a left rib-cage strain. The left rib-cage injury enabled rookie Jerry Owens to move into the leadoff spot for the rest of the season.

"I know [Podsednik] feels bad because he couldn't help us or himself," Guillen said. "Unfortunately, it's one of those years you have to deal with. He's not the only one hurt. A lot of guys are hurt. He was playing well, and when Pods was in the lineup, he made a difference. It's a shame he's got to go through the year he's going through right now."

Guillen, who once described Podsednik as "unreliable" because of his injuries, wouldn't say if this latest injury sealed Podsednik's departure after this season. The Sox will address several areas during the off-season, particularly center field with Minnesota free agent Torii Hunter as a target.

Podsednik, however, is unlikely to return at the $2.9 million salary he's receiving this season.