White Sox Scouting and Scouts

29andPoplar

Article about the Phillies operation down there, from a couple years ago I believe. Ruben Amaro Sr. is mentioned and interviewed, he is a baseball lifer who is very well known in the Dominican. There is a Ruben Amaro who is the guy in charge of the White Sox Latin operation, not sure if it's the same guy. There is a Ruben Amaro Jr. who is with the Phillies, he is Asst. GM.

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/print_fr...ly.php?id=15234

Edited by 29andPoplar

Seemed like the proper thread to do this in, copied below is Flash Tizzle's response to my specific query about whether he'd be willing to compose a letter to White Sox personnel and ask for responses to the topic he brings up just about every day. That is, the amateur draft issues, dealing with Boras, finding players in Latin America, acquiring prospects etc. I think everyone knows the song by now. Here is the response -

(note: the other thread was a game thread and was closed and moved).

"Several times? I recall once, and that's several posts above.

I'm interested in improving our minor league system, don't get me wrong, but not to the extent where I'd physically take time composing an email/letter and address it to Hahn, Williams, Reinsdorf, Wilder, whomever else. I'm not interested in simple answers. It just doesn't seem worth the time. The real questions I'd ask, such as what exactly are our scouts in Latin American doing, or pleaing for them to quit the ridiculous opposition to Boras, probably wouldn't get true responses.

I'm interested in results. What we can see on the field. They can bulls*** me all they want about taking steps to improve international scouting and their philosophical approach to drafting, but until these changes are evident on the diamond, what does it matter?

I also understand it may take time for changes to be seen. However, if we're looking to contend for any division titles, these changes need to occur sooner rather than later. We can't have every prospect promoted struggling; which seems to happen nearly every time."

Ok Flash I get it, you're not interested in physically taking time composing an email/letter and address it to whomever, it isn't worth the time to you. But it is worth the time to you to post the same stuff over and over on a message board, hoping against hope that White Sox personnel will see your posts, scratch their heads, and say hey, we should change things, this guy on the message board is a genius.

Basically, it is easier to complain on a message board vs. getting specific answers to questions, because, well, it feels good to complain.

I tell you what, I will compose the letter(s), I will ask the tough questions, I will do my best to arrange an interview(s) with the appropriate White Sox personnel to get some answers. And I suspect some of the answers will surprise you, but those answers likely won't resonate with you because you have a propensity to think that whatever they say will be "BS".

From my view, I will take the steps necessary to get answers. Don't mention it, it's my pleasure. And by the way, this is nothing personal. I just thought since you spent so much time addressing these issues every day on this board, you might be interested in stepping up to the plate so others on this site can hear some answers from those who actually have influence.

And my apologes if you hadn't seen my 3 previous requests about this, they have always been in threads responding to your posts on this very topic but I do know threads get closed/moved etc. so I do understand if you didn't see my posts.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 08:37 PM)
Seemed like the proper thread to do this in, copied below is Flash Tizzle's response to my specific query about whether he'd be willing to compose a letter to White Sox personnel and ask for responses to the topic he brings up just about every day. That is, the amateur draft issues, dealing with Boras, finding players in Latin America, acquiring prospects etc. I think everyone knows the song by now. Here is the response -

I'm interested in improving our minor league system, don't get me wrong, but not to the extent where I'd physically take time composing an email/letter and address it to Hahn, Williams, Reinsdorf, Wilder, whomever else. I'm not interested in simple answers. It just doesn't seem worth the time. The real questions I'd ask, such as what exactly are our scouts in Latin American doing, or pleaing for them to quit the ridiculous opposition to Boras, probably wouldn't get true responses.

I'm interested in results. What we can see on the field. They can bulls*** me all they want about taking steps to improve international scouting and their philosophical approach to drafting, but until these changes are evident on the diamond, what does it matter?

I also understand it may take time for changes to be seen. However, if we're looking to contend for any division titles, these changes need to occur sooner rather than later. We can't have every prospect promoted struggling; which seems to happen nearly every time."

Ok Flash I get it, you're not interested in physically taking time composing an email/letter and address it to whomever, it isn't worth the time to you. But it is worth the time to you to post the same stuff over and over on a message board, hoping against hope that White Sox personnel will see your posts, scratch their heads, and say hey, we should change things, this guy on the message board is a genius.

Basically, it is easier to complain on a message board vs. getting specific answers to questions, because, well, it feels good to complain.

I tell you what, I will compose the letter(s), I will ask the tough questions, I will do my best to arrange an interview(s) with the appropriate White Sox personnel to get some answers. And I suspect some of the answers will surprise you, but those answers likely won't resonate with you because you have a propensity to think that whatever they say will be "BS".

From my view, I will take the steps necessary to get answers. Don't mention it, it's my pleasure. And by the way, this is nothing personal. I just thought since you spent so much time addressing these issues every day on this board, you might be interested in stepping up to the plate so others on this site can hear some answers from those who actually have influence.

And my apologes if you hadn't seen my 3 previous requests about this, they have always been in threads responding to your posts on this very topic but I do know threads get closed/moved etc. so I do understand if you didn't see my posts.

it's a message board. It's where we post opinions. I think if you are going to have a problem with that you might not have much fun here.

it's a message board. It's where we post opinions. I think if you are going to have a problem with that you might not have much fun here.

Really, thanks so much for the insight. I understand about opinions. Especially when the same one is posted day after day after day after day after day after day. My fun comes from getting answers to questions that people want to know about, not from complaining on a message board. I plan to try and get answers, stay tuned if you're interested.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)

That'd actually be really cool and really interesting to hear. If you are actually going to do that, I'd be very intrigued to hear the results.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
Poplar's a great guy. I think he's overly generous in his assessments sometimes but he's very smart and clever and has good info.

Him and I disagreed earlier on some things, but I really appreciate the insight and information he brings to this board. Sometimes I wonder if he has a lot more connections to the organization than we really know about (which is cool if true, and I respect if he wants to keep that quiet).

Blast from the past.... :ph34r:

Not sure what this means but for the record my name is Steven and I own a couple of three flats in Bridgeport in the 28th/29th street area and live in the west suburbs. My "connections" as it were are probably no better than anyone else on this board, I know a few people who work in administration for the White Sox, as do many who either live in Bridgeport or have business there. Because I'm involved in property management but mostly farm it out these days I have flexibility in terms of time and I do some other free lance things. I tend to listen more than I talk, especially around people whom I know are aware of what's going on.

Plus I have been a student of baseball for many years like many on this site. I started reading this board and WSI when they were referred to me by a fellow fan at the ballpark, don't remember his name or handle. Again I prefer to read and listen but I felt I could contribute to this board because frankly I felt there were quite a number of what I felt were misconceptions here about the way things are run with the White Sox.

Also I do everything I can to arrange my schedule to go to spring training because I prefer Arizona in March vs. Chicago, probably like most here. There is not a whole lot to do in Tucson so I do spend a lot of time on the back fields and have gotten to know some White Sox types. They are not friends or anything but if I remind them who I am they remember me. Last year I was lucky enough to spend 5 weeks roughly in Tucson and Phoenix, renting a condo in Tucson and bunking with my cousin who lives near Glendale for a few nights here and there.

One thing I will say is White Sox admin and management types are very forthcoming, within reason, if you are polite and catch them at the right time.

Hope this clarifies. I think it's important to share information and also to say how you obtained said information, I am not a fan of cloak and dagger stuff. If people ask you to keep something in confidence you do it but most of the time the White Sox types want the truth to get out there. It is ok if people are skeptical of what I may say, that is fine by me. I understand people will have different takes and different opinions.

You will forgive me for not divulging my last name as I don't think that is wise, after all this is the internet.

Thanks for having me and letting me contribute to your board.

That'd actually be really cool and really interesting to hear. If you are actually going to do that, I'd be very intrigued to hear the results.

I promise I will do my best. I will craft a letter to Alan Regier for starters and perhaps Dave Wilder and possibly they can refer me to Mr. Amaro who runs things in the Dominican. Yes I think it would be great info for the people who post here.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 07:20 PM)
I promise I will do my best. I will craft a letter to Alan Regier for starters and perhaps Dave Wilder and possibly they can refer me to Mr. Amaro who runs things in the Dominican. Yes I think it would be great info for the people who post here.

Your not the guy that talked about Hawaii I forget his name and that he and Reinsdorf were buds and that he was the only person other than Reinsdorf and Thomas who knew what the diminished skills clause were are you?

Your not the guy that talked about Hawaii I forget his name and that he and Reinsdorf were buds and that he was the only person other than Reinsdorf and Thomas who knew what the diminished skills clause were are you?

No. I posted my 411 above. I have met Mr. Reinsdorf but only in passing a few times, I do not know him per se and he certainly doesn't know me.

This sounds awesome. I'm really interested in learning a lot more about the Sox scouting approach. I've heard a couple things but am not as aware as I'd like to be in regards to the inside intracies of the Sox approach, especially with what they are doing internationally.