Gio Gonzalez...classiest player in the organization

JPN366

He comes up to YOU and shakes YOUR hand and asks YOU how YOU are, he helps people who's car has broken down, he tips his cap to the fans, he'll sign a million autographs, he's extremely polite and friendly, he has no ego whatsoever, he's the only bright spot for the Birmingham Barons all year. If you ever get the chance to meet him, you'll see what I mean. He deserves all the success in the world. Class act is not strong enough description.

QUOTE(JPN366 @ Aug 25, 2007 -> 02:31 AM)
He comes up to YOU and shakes YOUR hand and asks YOU how YOU are, he helps people who's car has broken down, he tips his cap to the fans, he'll sign a million autographs, he's extremely polite and friendly, he has no ego whatsoever, he's the only bright spot for the Birmingham Barons all year. If you ever get the chance to meet him, you'll see what I mean. He deserves all the success in the world. Class act is not strong enough description.

Gio... :headbang

My fav prospect since he was drafted.

i suppose this is why you dont make assumptions, but i guess i assumed he had attitude problems after he got into the fight with his high school coach about his brothers playing time....i know that is what caused him to slip to the supplemental....but sounds like that was probably an isolated incident and he sounds like a good kid

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Aug 25, 2007 -> 02:31 AM)
Haven't Egbert and Getz been bright spots as well?

Egbert, on the field, yes. Getz has missed 60+ games with a knee contusion.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE(Markbilliards @ Aug 25, 2007 -> 04:23 PM)
JPB366, did you just meet him or something?

I'm a Barons season ticket holder. On pace to see 60 out of 70 home games. I'm at 55 currently with five games left against Huntsville. I talk to Gio fairly regularly.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 25, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
i suppose this is why you dont make assumptions, but i guess i assumed he had attitude problems after he got into the fight with his high school coach about his brothers playing time....i know that is what caused him to slip to the supplemental....but sounds like that was probably an isolated incident and he sounds like a good kid

That was his mom, not him.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 05:56 PM)
He actually interviewed Jack and Gio for us. He always replies to us as well. The Sox have some really good media guys in the system.

Not at AAA.

Edited by NorthSideSox72
Removed identifying information

I think any serious worries about Gio's maturity, whether or not they were warranted before, have been put to bed in the two seasons since he was last in the organization. Gotta remember, this is still just a 21-year old kid, and I don't know about everyone else but I did a lot of growing up between 19 and 21, and I had college to help me.

Seems like he's grown up nicely.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 25, 2007 -> 03:01 PM)

I should point out that Gio was never involved in that fight. It was between Gio's mom and the coach over Gio's brothers playing time and his mom basically used Gio as his bargaining cheap (which was out of Gio's hands) and because of it people assumed negative things about Gio (things that aren't true as the guy is total class).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 03:27 PM)
I should point out that Gio was never involved in that fight. It was between Gio's mom and the coach over Gio's brothers playing time and his mom basically used Gio as his bargaining cheap (which was out of Gio's hands) and because of it people assumed negative things about Gio (things that aren't true as the guy is total class).

I am hearing Egbert is heading to the AFL. Any word about Gio? I'm hoping he somehow gets a few starts with the big club before season's end...