Fields To Start In Left

daa84

Fields in left, gonzalez at 3rd per espn 1000....ive been out of town, but i thought andy was sent down in favor of myers? on the sox site they have him listed on the 25 man, but no cintron...did i miss something?

edit: found put that cintron is on bereavement, when did that happen?

Edited by daa84

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 03:32 PM)
What the hell is this bulls***? Gonzalez at third? Have we sunk this low, that a scrub who should be in AA will be playing third base for us so that we might get a look at him for next year? For what?

Who else would we have play 3b? This is the smartest move they've done all year, as having Fields in LF is the best move they can make.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 10:32 AM)
What the hell is this bulls***? Gonzalez at third? Have we sunk this low, that a scrub who should be in AA will be playing third base for us so that we might get a look at him for next year? For what?

As much as a hate AGon, I want Fields to get time in left, as I suggested happen two years ago.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
Who else would we have play 3b? This is the smartest move they've done all year, as having Fields in LF is the best move they can make.

Yep. From what we've seen of Fields at third, Gonzalez has to be better there defensively. Both of them would probably be in the lineup today anyway, so let's see if Fields can play LF, while Gonzalez improves our defense at 3B.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)

Like this move!! My hope is Josh is our LF'er of the future and fill in 3Bman. Crede should stay in Chicago and be our 3B gold glover for years. Anyway with Pablo out and Cintron out who else can play 3B? I just hope Josh has been practicing out there.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
Kind of short sided Pratt. This move has 0 to do with Gonzalez. As others have said, this is the move they should have made months ago, and this moves gives us a little more of an idea of what to expect for next year. 1.Crede will be back. 2. Not a chance Fields is in AAA(I don't there was anyway he went back to AAA anyway) 3.Pods won't be back.

If thats the case, I am 90% positive that Jerry Owens will be the opening day leadoff hitter and CF next year... ugh.

Doesn't hurt to try anything this season but this is the first I've heard about concerns with Fields' defense at 3B. His metrics are good. His bat won't translate nearly as well to a corner outfield spot (though it will be an improvement on Pods).

Edited by Jeremy

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 11:03 AM)
Doesn't hurt to try anything this season but this is the first I've heard about concerns with Fields' defense at 3B. His metrics are good. His bat won't translate nearly as well to a corner outfield spot (though it will be an improvement on Pods).

How doesn't hit bat translate well enough. He is on pace to hit 20 to 30 homers over a full season. The last time we had that type of production in Left it was Carlos Lee.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 11:07 AM)
How doesn't hit bat translate well enough. He is on pace to hit 20 to 30 homers over a full season. The last time we had that type of production in Left it was Carlos Lee.

Just throwing this out there... over a full season he'd be on pace for 200+ K's.

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 11:03 AM)

What metrics?

My eyes say he's got WAY below average instincts/reaction at third. The only play he's above average at is charging on a bunt/slow roller. Everything else makes him look like a statue. I haven't seen him make a single play laterally that made me think he'll ever have above average range.

If he had enough innings to qualify, he'd have the lowest Zone Rating of any full-time 3rd baseman in baseball. Though Ryan Bruan, who's in the same boat, is actually worse...

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 11:23 AM)
What metrics?

My eyes say he's got WAY below average instincts/reaction at third. The only play he's above average at is charging on a bunt/slow roller. Everything else makes him look like a statue. I haven't seen him make a single play laterally that made me think he'll ever have above average range.

If he had enough innings to qualify, he'd have the lowest Zone Rating of any full-time 3rd baseman in baseball. Though Ryan Bruan, who's in the same boat, is actually worse...

Interesting. I was looking at Baseball Prospectus' ratings which have him at a strong 3 FRAA (fielding runs above average).

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 11:23 AM)
The offensive gap between your average 3B and corner OF is decreasing, something like ~15 OPS points. It's not like he's going from catcher to first base.

This year the gap between a 3B and RF is 56 points in the AL by my count, though 3B is actually as good as LF and in the NL, 3B has phenomenal bats. If you go back a few years though that's not at all the case so the strength of 3B right now is probably a bit of an aberration. My thinking was along the lines of Adam Dunn and Josh Fields is a lot better than Josh Fields and Joe Crede. Obviously, one pair costs you a lot more but at the same time, A-Rod/Fields, Zimmerman/Fields, and Cabrera/Fields probably aren't options.