Fields To Start In Left

daa84

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 11:43 AM)
This year the gap between a 3B and RF is 56 points in the AL by my count, though 3B is actually as good as LF and in the NL, 3B has phenomenal bats. If you go back a few years though that's not at all the case so the strength of 3B right now is probably a bit of an aberration. My thinking was along the lines of Adam Dunn and Josh Fields is a lot better than Josh Fields and Joe Crede. Obviously, one pair costs you a lot more but at the same time, A-Rod/Fields, Zimmerman/Fields, and Cabrera/Fields probably aren't options.

I would love to have Dunn in LF, but that's not really the argument. I'm just saying the OPS difference in an average 3B and LF/RF now is not very far off. Your first post made it seem like a move to the outfield really diminishes his offensive value.

Edited by 3E8

Good move. This last month is just an audition for 2008 anyway - might as well get Fields used to LF.

Maybe they can bring up Bourgeouis to cover 3B - I'd like to see him at the ML level in September, to see what he can do.

And Pablo is not a horrible defensive 3B - plus it would be good for him to get some time on the field before the season is out.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 01:39 PM)
Fields in LF almost guarantees no Owens in CF next year. I like this move....well done Sox.

I'd say it almost guarantees no Owens unless/until Crede is traded or cannot play.

If Crede is traded next season, Fields moves back to 3B, and Owens takes over in LF. I'm guessing that's the plan.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 11:57 AM)
I would love to have Dunn in LF, but that's not really the argument. I'm just saying the OPS difference in an average 3B and LF/RF now is not very far off. Your first post made it seem like a move to the outfield really diminishes his offensive value.

Well, the numbers aren't that conclusive so I'm not sure we can say definitely either way. I meant to use Dunn more as an example than an argument. Crede's a lifetime .259/.305/.446 hitter and A-Rod is the only notable free agent third basemen so I think it's a good bet that we can plug a better hitter into a corner OF spot that into 3B. I guess whether or not that's cost effective is pretty speculative right now.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 10:41 AM)
Yep. From what we've seen of Fields at third, Gonzalez has to be better there defensively. Both of them would probably be in the lineup today anyway, so let's see if Fields can play LF, while Gonzalez improves our defense at 3B.

What do you mean. Josh has been solid at 3B.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 11:39 AM)
Fields in LF almost guarantees no Owens in CF next year. I like this move....well done Sox.

I still think we're going to see Fields/Owens/Dye on day one.

Presumably, of course, that means day 2 will be Podsednik, Erstad, Dye, because you know, they gotta get at bats.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 12:52 PM)
Definitely worth a shot, this should have happened a long time ago, imo.

If you expect Joe to come back, play here 1 year or less and be gone...then this is probably a good time. Get Fields some work in the MLB at 3rd, where he'll probably be long-term, but then also get him a month or so in the OF so that he's ready for the year Crede is still here.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 04:04 PM)
:lol:

If they were to scrap Fields in LF because on an error in the 9th, this organization is in a lot more trouble than I thought.

Well, they had Floyd on a one-bad-start leash. Not the same player, but still, that makes me wonder about the lack of patience.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 10:59 AM)
According to the Score Fields will be in LF for the rest of the season.

What I don't understand is why it takes management so long to make these decisions. They knew Crede was expected back next season since the surgery, and that Fields would have to play LF if Crede is still on the 2008 roster (which I would expect to be the case given his diminished trade value, and managable salary) so I have to wonder why it took them so long to make this move IF this is there expected course of action for next season.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 10:12 PM)
yes, and hes been much better than expected. Do YOU watch the games at all?

He was much better when he first started this year, even though people kept saying he was fielding badly. He's struggled over the last month defensively, but he's not a butcher, like Ryan Bruan, like people believe he is.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
Just throwing this out there... over a full season he'd be on pace for 200+ K's.

Fields still has a way to go at the plate. He has tremendous power, but he strikes out way too much, and is only in the upper .230's, lower .240's. Hopefully, he can cut down on those strikeouts, and get his batting average up some.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
Wait.....if Fields is in LF the rest of the season, I better not see Andy f***ing Gonzalez at third every goddamn game.

Why does it matter at this point ? Gonzalez isn't a long-term answer there, he'd only be keeping the spot warm for Crede, and Fields appears to be our LF answer for next season.