He GAWN. Alberto Gonzales

kapkomet

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)
Well... better late than never. Underqualified, underskilled, weak in principle and overmatched for the job. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Are you describing Abu G. or Chertoff?

The degree of blatant cronyism in the placement of political hacks into positions of importance is dumbfounding. Even so, Chertoff may have a hard time obstructing justice as completely as Gonzo, and this will probably make DOJ at least marginally funstional. I hope.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 08:49 AM)
There's no real reason for joy.

People made that mistake about Ashcroft. And then we got Gonzales.

The only saving grace to that is that Gonzales might have ended up on the supreme court if he hadn't been made AG.

Gonzales a Supreme. There is a scary thought. That guy was overmatched as AG - on the Supreme Court he would have looked like an imbecile.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 05:56 AM)
Oh cripes. I just read that its likely to be Chertoff taking that post.

Are you kidding me? We go from an AG who is more interested in making his master happy than obeying the law to a guy who thought that more bureaucracy would be good for Homeland Security?!

Well...if the Dems in the Senate cave on approval of Chertoff...we may as well find a 3rd party to support.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)
Well...if the Dems in the Senate cave on approval of Chertoff...we may as well find a 3rd party to support.
I wish there was a viable third alternative. Both parties are brain dead. As of this moment, I support Ron Paul.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 09:15 AM)
Two words.

Recess Appointment.

Are recess appointments even allowed for that position?

Anyway, supposedly Harry Reid already did a 2-step move to prevent those. He threatened to simply recall the Senate into session briefly every week or two or something like that, thus preventing Bush from offering up any recess appointments. The Administration backed off, since they had no choice, but managed to convince Reid to be nice and bring a couple people up for a vote in return.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)
You are saying Madeline Albright was a hack? You have to be joking. You may not have liked her stands, but she was eminently qualified and did a pretty solid job with the policies she was given.

No, I am not joking, she was a political hack who was overmatched in the affairs of foreign policy. She did a horrible job.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)
No, I am not joking, she was a political hack who was overmatched in the affairs of foreign policy. She did a horrible job.

I really have to disagree. She was a far sight better than anyone in BushCo's cabinet has been at foreign affairs, with the exception of Colin Powell.

I think you are confusing policy with execution. I didn't like a lot of Clinton's foreign policy either, but I didn't see Albright's delivery as a problem.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
I didn't like a lot of Clinton's foreign policy either, but I didn't see Albright's delivery as a problem.

She agreed with many of those policies and carried them out with enthusiasm. She was also duped by just about every authoritarian dictator in the world and was gullible enough to pay them off financially, with tax payer money, to follow treaties. Of course, they ignored her.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 08:36 PM)
I really have to disagree. She was a far sight better than anyone in BushCo's cabinet has been at foreign affairs, with the exception of Colin Powell.

I think you are confusing policy with execution. I didn't like a lot of Clinton's foreign policy either, but I didn't see Albright's delivery as a problem.

Wow. You have to be joking to say Aldimbulb isn't (wasn't) a political hack. She was just about the worst one in Mrs. Clinton's cabinent.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 03:45 PM)
Wow. You have to be joking to say Aldimbulb isn't (wasn't) a political hack. She was just about the worst one in Mrs. Clinton's cabinent.

Weird. I don't see it that way. There were dumber ones in that cabinet, and worse ones. Dumb she ain't. And again, I think maybe folks are confusing policy with execution.

15 years of Clinton and Dubya foreign policy have screwed up our global position something fierce (though in very different ways). Bush I was the last Prez who I think had an overall positive foreign policy record.