White Sox Winner

witesoxfan

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
The real problem with that rainout was the fact it was sunny and clear by 7:30 that night and the conditions didn't change for the rest of the evening, while in the meantime Chicago had one of it's worst storm in decades last Thursday and they waited over 2 hours to try and start that game. And the logic can't be tickets sold, we sold over 37,000 tickets for todays game according to the box score, which is probably about the same as Thursday.

Tell me about it. I literally live across the street from the field so the weather is the same. I was mad about it on 5/26 and dumbfounded on 8/23. Oh well, Sox WIN :gosox1: and I CANNOT GO! :crying

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
I think it depends on the conditions. Like that game that started at 11 or whatever it was the other night... that was a MLB decision not the team or the umps.

I also think comparing a game cancelled in May and one cancelled in August is a stretch.

Normally the decision to play or not is in the hands of the home team up until the game starts, then it is turned over to the umpires. In the case of the other night, Comcast reported that since it was Boston's only trip to Chicago this season, the decision was being made by MLB rather than the home team.

Damn I had tickets to the original game but couldn't go b/c I started paramedic school. I live on 24th too so it sucked ass to not go. The day the game was canceled it cleared up about 1/2 hour from the delay. total BS. I wish they would let me goto anther game or something. That money went down the tubes.

:hawk:

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)
Normally the decision to play or not is in the hands of the home team up until the game starts, then it is turned over to the umpires. In the case of the other night, Comcast reported that since it was Boston's only trip to Chicago this season, the decision was being made by MLB rather than the home team.

I am aware, however I was not referring to the Sox game. That game never started.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 08:06 PM)
I'm probably in the lesser, but I woulda prefered a L.

Well that's just absolutely the dumbest thing I've heard all day...you must not have watched the game then. It was a fun win...b2b2b with a go ahead 2 run homer...I am actually happy about the Sox effort today and enjoyed a game I got to watch.

And Richar is fun to watch

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 08:21 PM)
Well that's just absolutely the dumbest thing I've heard all day...you must not have watched the game then. It was a fun win...b2b2b with a go ahead 2 run homer...I am actually happy about the Sox effort today and enjoyed a game I got to watch.

And Richar is fun to watch

I agree. Never hoping for a loss, I want to see people playing hard, even if they are 160 games out.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)
17 homers in 75 games is a sick total for Josh - I know it's probably too early to project a full season but basically he's shaping up to put up Adam Dunn like numbers - 40 HR, .245-.250 AVG for a season - with a hell of a lot more upside than Dunn. I'm pretty excited to see his 2008.

Uhh I see the comparison, but the bolded is silly. He has the ability to put up similar home run, rbi, average, and strikeout numbers as Dunn while playing a similar (mediocre) LF on defense, but Dunn walks A LOT more, WAY WAY more, and is still pretty young, thus has a lot more value as an offensive player.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
Uhh I see the comparison, but the bolded is silly. He has the ability to put up similar home run, rbi, average, and strikeout numbers as Dunn while playing a similar (mediocre) LF on defense, but Dunn walks A LOT more, WAY WAY more, and is still pretty young, thus has a lot more value as an offensive player.

From Fields' history though it seems he has a lot higher ceiling batting average wise compared to Dunn. Too lazy to look up Dunn's minor league batting averages but i'm assuming it wasn't close to .300.

I'm really hoping Fields' k:walk ratio improves the next couple seasons.

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 11:40 PM)
From Fields' history though it seems he has a lot higher ceiling batting average wise compared to Dunn. Too lazy to look up Dunn's minor league batting averages but i'm assuming it wasn't close to .300.

I'm really hoping Fields' k:walk ratio improves the next couple seasons.

Um, you lose. Adam Dunn

.334 between AA and AAA in 2001, to go along with an OPS just slightly over 1.100. Add to it that Josh Fields struck out at a higher rate than Dunn as well in the minors as well.

Fields is a better athlete, but to suggest he has a higher upside than Adam Dunn is a bit loony. Perhaps in his all-around game Fields has more potential, because I really don't see Dunn hitting .300 anytime soon, and I don't see him ever becoming a league average defender in LF, but never at the plate. Adam Dunn is one of the best home run hitters in the game. If he's not taking a walk, or striking out, he's probably putting a ball in the stands. If Josh Fields gets anywhere near that, I'll be shocked.