How about Fields for DH in 2008?

GreatScott82

I think its safe to say that Thome just isn't the same hitter he once was. Fields came up in June and has almost passed Thome in homeruns already. With that in mind, is there any way we can deal Thome this offseason? A healthy Crede and Fields surpasses any missing production we would recieve from Thome. You may say "what about left field"? Well there is where you put Jerry Owens.. Don't we need a leadoff hitter still? And if Fields plays LF and Rowand/Hunter plays center, who would leadoff? Richar doesn't have enough experience to leadoff yet. I know many would say that if we let Fields DH for a season, it would effect is game at 3b.. Well wouldn't putting him at LF effect his game at 3B anyway? I say its time to move on without Thome.. the first half of 2006 was damn exciting but he just hasn't been the same since. So you heard it here... im pushing for Fields to be our DH in 2008. Call me crazy, and i know most of you guys think so, but this just maybe a very, very smart move.

Thoughts?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't think its the farthest out idea ever, but... to say that a healthy Crede/Fields is better than Thome is kind of ridiculous. Its not even close. Thome is still twice the hitter either of those two are. And if we look at the LF-3B-DH combo you mention (Owens-Crede-Fields), I think I'd far rather take Fields-Crede-Thome.

I wouldn't be opposed to dealing Thome. But, of course, he has a nearly full NTC. It probably ain't happening. And if they did that, I'd rather see more talent put in the OF and put Dye at DH.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 01:42 AM)
Point 1. Jim Thome continues to have a full no-trade clause, and there have been no rumors that he's interested in changing that situation.

Point 2. If the White Sox need a DH next year not named Thome somehow...his name is Jermaine Dye.

So pretty much Thome has the White Sox handcuffed? Thats ridiculous.. Dye has another season or 2 left in RF easily. A year with Fields at DH makes a lot of sense to me... If Thome is the DH and Fields plays LF than who leads off? Owens will not be our starting CF next year, and if he is KW deserves to be fired.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 01:47 AM)
But it's ok if he is our LF?

if it means signing Rowand or Hunter (the 2 names we will likely be after) hell yea than its okay for him to play LF. By saying that, i wasn't dissing Owens, after all he is doing a decent job being a leadoff hitter and we do need a leadoff hitter going into next season don't we?

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 08:49 PM)
if it means signing Rowand or Hunter (the 2 names we will likely be after) hell yea than its okay for him to play LF. By saying that, i wasn't dissing Owens, after all he is doing a decent job being a leadoff hitter and we do need a leadoff hitter going into next season don't we?

Josh Fields will put up close to equal or better offensive numbers next year than both Hunter and Rowand and for less than 1/36 the price of Torii and 1/24 the price of Rowand. You can hold me to it.

Owens is not doing a decent job at leadoff, he's doing an incredibly mediocre one. And under no circumstances should be be the leadoff man for the 2008 White Sox.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 01:59 AM)
Josh Fields will put up close to equal or better offensive numbers next year than both Hunter and Rowand and for less than 1/36 the price of Torii and 1/24 the price of Rowand. You can hold me to it.

Owens is not doing a decent job at leadoff, he's doing an incredibly mediocre one. And under no circumstances should be be the leadoff man for the 2008 White Sox.

Than who should be the leadoff man? ANd what possition will it come by?

And whats the difference between mediocre and decent? So if someone is playing mediocre they are not decent?

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
Than who should be the leadoff man? ANd what possition will it come by?

And whats the difference between mediocre and decent? So if someone is playing mediocre they are not decent?

I like the idea of Rafael Furcal, personally. Hell, I'd almost rather have Eckstein at the top of the lineup and I can't stand him. We'll see what sort of options pop up once we hit the offseason, players will be made available via trade. One things for certain however, I will NOT embrace Owens simply because he's the only speedy slap hitter currently with the ballclub.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 09:20 PM)
I really should have gone with "putrid" like I had originally planned.
I think that Richar or a future new shortstop will be are 2008 lead off. Fields can only get better hitting (maybe less strikeouts) he may be able to play an adequate left field 3rd maybe to give Joe a day off. He definately is showing he belongs and will do big things. As far as Thome you can't beat his on base percentage. Problem next year is that there is a large clog in the line up presently and next year won't be much better. Konerko,Thome, Dye are 3, 4 and 5 are slow. Down the lineup we"ll have Crede and Aj who aren't fast. If Thome was ever moved it would still be wise to replace him with a speedy left hand hitting position player that could hit for average. Also, woudn't hurt if we had a left-handed lead off man that had a decent on base percentage, steal bases and not be satisfied with weakly hit balls that barely fall onto the outfield grass.

Fields at 24 year of age being a DH and not Thome is crazy. I admit it. Fields in LF and Jim Thome is the DH.

One of the reasons we won the WS was our pitching and defense.

Fields is going to probably be the worst leftfielder in the league.

2008 DH=Thome

2009 DH=Dye

I thought that was pretty clear and obvious here, plus it's WAY too early to give up on the Josh in LF idea, especially since he might end up at 3B again if Crede re-hurts himself in 2008. And yes, we won in 2005 with defense, but Pods was by far, no doubt, inarguably our worst fielder on that team, and I see no reason why Fields can't be that mediocre in the field in 2008 while hitting 30 plus homers and driving in near 100.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 11:13 PM)
Greg must of missed when El Caballo moved to LF.

Or Pods for the last 2+ years and I'm not counting Dunn or Manny and many others considering I saw him put "the league."

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 08:59 PM)

Mediocre? Before Monday's game, he had batted .183/.213/.192 when leading off an inning. He's hit .197/.228/.221 with nobody out, and .208/.250/.226 in his first at-bat of the game against a starter.

Now why is that Greg? Because of the two games you have seen him play in LF? Fields, IMO is athletic enough to pick up LF and play fairly decent defense....

I did pull a Mariotti there. Him botching that pop up the other day concerned me I guess.

I just can see where the poster is coming from.

I like Thome but the LOVE for Thome sort of amazes me.

And he's injury prone big time at this stage of his career.

I think it's time to move on. Thome you have to admit is going to miss more and more games via injury as he continues to age.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 11:52 PM)
Mediocre? Before Monday's game, he had batted .183/.213/.192 when leading off an inning. He's hit .197/.228/.221 with nobody out, and .208/.250/.226 in his first at-bat of the game against a starter.

I want Timo back

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 11:52 PM)

I realized my mistake almost as soon as I typed it. Horrific, putrid and dreadful would probably suit him better.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 12:06 AM)
I did pull a Mariotti there. Him botching that pop up the other day concerned me I guess.

I just can see where the poster is coming from.

I like Thome but the LOVE for Thome sort of amazes me.

And he's injury prone big time at this stage of his career.

I think it's time to move on. Thome you have to admit is going to miss more and more games via injury as he continues to age.

Anyone remember the fly ball to left that Aaron Rowand had to catch in straight away left field on a late, sunny Sunday afternoon in August because the left fielder could not see it? Not making excuses but the verdict can not even be addressed as to the abiltiy of Fields in left. I find it funny that Gonzalez can adjust nicely to the OF but Ozuna looks scary out there. I think with his speed and arm he could turn into an asset out there.

A bad defensive left fielder is fine if you have a good centerfielder. I believe the centerfielder will be Rowand

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 09:04 PM)
Now why is that Greg? Because of the two games you have seen him play in LF? Fields, IMO is athletic enough to pick up LF and play fairly decent defense....

Agreed. I mean, come on, Carlos Lee can play LF with some degree of competence. I don't think that Fields, who is faster and way more athletic, will have a problem picking it up.