How about Fields for DH in 2008?

GreatScott82

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 11:20 AM)
so is the Fields to shortstop rumor completely dead? Because I'll be damned if Uribe is back. He continues to get worse and worse batting each year.

Fields to SS? Where did you hear that rumor? I would rather see Richar, Ozuna or any number of other people on the team at SS before Fields. That would be brutal. Fields has some great skills, but he isn't even an average third baseman.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 09:41 AM)
Fields to SS? Where did you hear that rumor? I would rather see Richar, Ozuna or any number of other people on the team at SS before Fields. That would be brutal. Fields has some great skills, but he isn't even an average third baseman.

Someone started a thread on it like a week or two ago here...not sure it was even anything worth classifying as a rumor.

Edited by Balta1701

I guess everyone else has already clarified this point, but Jim Thome has been an infinitely more productive hitter than Josh Fields this season. Comparing a .400 OBP player and a .300 OBP player is unthinkable.

The Sox have had a problem the last few years of creating huge holes in the offense because they've needed to bring in a lead off hitter (Pods as a corner outfielder). If we're truly going with Crede at 3B and Fields at LF, which I consider to be a pretty mediocre and very short term solution, then SS becomes our #1 priority. If we can get someone who can hit leadoff to play SS such as Furcal, that'd be ideal. If that doesn't happen though, we shouldn't expend more resources signing a CF to hit leadoff than to patch the massive hole at SS. This team needs fewer bad hitters period.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 10:50 PM)
One of the reasons we won the WS was our pitching and defense.

Fields is going to probably be the worst leftfielder in the league.

Then trade or non-tender Crede and spend most of our free agent money (plus the $5 million we save by dumping Crede) on LF.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 12:06 AM)
I did pull a Mariotti there. Him botching that pop up the other day concerned me I guess.

I just can see where the poster is coming from.

I like Thome but the LOVE for Thome sort of amazes me.

And he's injury prone big time at this stage of his career.

I think it's time to move on. Thome you have to admit is going to miss more and more games via injury as he continues to age.

Those are all valid concerns but what is the solution? I don't think trading our best hitter for peanuts or cutting him is going to improve the team, especially when he has a very reasonable salary.

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 12:16 PM)
I guess everyone else has already clarified this point, but Jim Thome has been an infinitely more productive hitter than Josh Fields this season.

It's interesting that some people have decided Thome is a problem. It's true he's not hitting well right now, but he's still the only player with real OBP on the team. And it's likely he'll still be able to get on base and pop 25 to 30 HRs next season as well. His unique skill on the Sox (OBP) makes him worth what he's getting paid this year and next. There's a lot more dead salary that is less productive: Erstad, Crede, Ozuna, Cintron, Pods and either Contreras and/or Garland are all players who could be replaced by cheaper players with less dropoff in production than moving Thome. And the money in those combined salasries is much bigger than what Thome makes.

You can argue Thome should be semi-platooned against LHP & that probably would be a good idea. Maybe Fields could pick up some at-bats at DH next season on those days...

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
That lineup is still so slllllooooowwwww.

I actually prefer richar batting #2.

The core of the team is already really slow; if also plan on bringing Crede and Pierzynski back, it gets just that much slower.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 01:19 PM)
I thought about it A lot last night at work, and if the Sox were able to get Furcal and Rowand this off-season, and only lose Contreras(along with some B- prospects,) this team can compete next season.

Furcal would be such an upgrade over what we have now, and his value to this team skyrockets as he would fill not only a hole at SS, but the huge hole at SS is also filled.

I'm not a huge Row fan boy, but I would still be suggesting the Sox sign Rowand even if he had never worn Black and White. We need a CF badly, he has had a fantastic season, and to top it off, we know there would be no problems in the clubhouse, and a hometown discount would probably be in order. Makes too much sense.

Furcal would be a huge coup and with only a year left on his deal and Hu waiting in the wings, it doesn't seem like a complete pipe dream. My biggest concern is how high the asking price will be. I realize we're committed to sticking with some variation of this team instead of tearing it down and rebuilding. However, if things don't work out next year and we do have to ultimately tear it down, it'll be nice not to have parted with guys like Charlie, Gio, Egbert, DLS, and Carter. At the same time, you're going to have to give up something and a package built around Broadway and Sweeney is probably wishful thinking.

Especially if we can land someone like Furcal to hit leadoff, I'd rather go with Owens/Sweeney/Anderson-Fields-Dunn than Rowand-Fields-Crede. We have to see how the market will shake out for those two free agents but Dunn's edge in hitting over Rowand more than makes up for the difference between Crede and whoever plays CF, particularly when you consider that Crede will likely only be around for one more year.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 12:35 PM)
That lineup is still so slllllooooowwwww.

I actually prefer richar batting #2.

I also like Richar in the 2 hole potentially, and I'd like to see him get some time there over the next month instead of Fields. Josh is a middle-of-order run producer (highest RBI to plate appearance ratio on team, by far, while batting 2nd primarily), and breaks up some of the slowness of the other sluggers.

I believe that Garland will be the trade bait that KW uses to try and get Furcal, Edgar Renteria (or is he a FA?), or possibly Lastings Milledge. It's wishful that prospects like Broadway/Sweeney could land one of these guys.

I'm also assuming we go after Hunter or Rowand big time.

Thome is TERRIBLE against lefties and should be platooned, even though I think his patience at the plate sets a good example for the others.

Assuming it's a shortstop that becomes our leadoff, I would like to see the lineup against righties as:

1. Furcal/Renteria - SS

2. Richar - also want to see if Jason Bourgeois can get it done, or platoon with Danny, as Richar may suck against lefties - if neither can get it done there's always another 2B available

3. Thome

4. Konerko

5. Dye

6. Rowand/Hunter

7. Fields - LF

8. AJ - (When will Ozzie learn he's NOT a run producer? - batting him 3rd or 5th is ridiculous)

9. Crede - 3B

One of the Sox main goals for the offseason should be fielding a more effective lineup against lefties, and I propose the following:

I would like to see if Fields can play RF as well as left (I know that's asking a lot for a guy learning new positions, but I think he has the arm for it as a former QB), which would allow easier platooning of Thome unless a righty 4th outfielder who can play RF is acquired. The lineup becomes:

Furcal

Ozuna -LF

Dye - DH - could help preserve his health, and I'd like see him fulltime DH in '09

Konerko

Fields - RF

Rowand/Hunter

Crede

AJ/Hall/other RH catcher

Bourgeois/Richar/other 2B

The lineup is little faster than the one vs. righties, with Pablo replacing JD in the OF and Thome in the lineup.

I just don't see Jerry Owens belonging on a MLB roster except as a pinch-runner, 25th man. Comments?

While, yeah, that's a slow team, how many AL teams don't have a slow 1B, C, DH, corner outfielder?

AJ has hit 3rd when Thome's out and 5th otherwise for the purpose of separating the lefty and righty hitters. This is why Fields is hitting second, rather than 6th which would otherwise be a better spot for him.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 08:36 PM)
I can think of a cheaper, younger version with a lot of power and better defense, he's already in our system. If you are looking for a power hitting backup OF who can play right field.

Craig Wilson?

QUOTE(Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 04:20 PM)
I believe that Garland will be the trade bait that KW uses to try and get Furcal, Edgar Renteria (or is he a FA?), or possibly Lastings Milledge. It's wishful that prospects like Broadway/Sweeney could land one of these guys.

I wouldn't lump Furcal and Renteria together like that. After exercising the Braves exercise their option, Renteria will have two seasons left at $20 million while Furcal has just one year left at $13 million. Also, Renteria (.336/.392/.487) will be coming off a far better season than Furcal (.283/.350/.374). Finally, the Dodgers have an elite SS prospect in AAA while the Braves have merely an above average one. I'd be shocked to see Renteria moved in the off season while I think Furcal should be available and there's even a slight chance that he could be had at a discount.

Edited by Jeremy

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 10:15 PM)
I wouldn't lump Furcal and Renteria together like that. After exercising the Braves exercise their option, Renteria will have two seasons left at $20 million while Furcal has just one year left at $13 million. Also, Renteria (.336/.392/.487) will be coming off a far better season than Furcal (.283/.350/.374). Finally, the Dodgers have an elite SS prospect in AAA while the Braves have merely an above average one. I'd be shocked to see Renteria moved in the off season while I think Furcal should be available and there's even a slight chance that he could be had at a discount.

The Braves have Yunel Escobar who's hit .326/.366/.419 at the majors....

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 11:00 PM)
The Braves have Yunel Escobar who's hit .326/.366/.419 at the majors....

Hmm. Yeah that shouldn't have escaped my radar. Still, I'd consider him good or very good and not elite like Hu. His minor league numbers are certainly good but not mind blowing so I'm not entirely sure he'll continue to hit like this.

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 12:33 AM)
Hmm. Yeah that shouldn't have escaped my radar. Still, I'd consider him good or very good and not elite like Hu. His minor league numbers are certainly good but not mind blowing so I'm not entirely sure he'll continue to hit like this.

He hit .400 in the AFL last year to prove he was fully recovered from a broken bone in his foot which hampered his '06. Aside from the second half of '06 when he hit about .140 because of the foot/ankle issue, he's been a .300+ hitter everywhere he's been.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 12:45 AM)
He hit .400 in the AFL last year to prove he was fully recovered from a broken bone in his foot which hampered his '06. Aside from the second half of '06 when he hit about .140 because of the foot/ankle issue, he's been a .300+ hitter everywhere he's been.

Yeah, he's certainly very good, I just like Hu a lot more because he's slugged over .500 at two levels this season. Escobar has always hit for good average but you expect a guy's batting average to fall off some initially when he reaches the majors, that's all I meant.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 08:32 AM)
I wonder if there is a package we could put together to net Michael Young from the rangers. That would fill a #1 hitter and a SS hole. Also would make alot of the go with the pitches lovers on this site.

I'm not so sure spending 6 years, $85M on a 31 year old close to league average hitter with little speed who's playing out of position at SS -- he's obviously better suited for 2B -- is the best plan of attack. $16M a year for a guy who has posted an .830+ OPS only twice in his career and hasn't reached that mark in 2 years doesn't sound like a good investment, it sounds an awful lot more like another situation where Tom Hicks decided to throw WAY too much money at one player.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 07:40 PM)
AJ has hit 3rd when Thome's out and 5th otherwise for the purpose of separating the lefty and righty hitters. This is why Fields is hitting second, rather than 6th which would otherwise be a better spot for him.

I understand why AJ his hit higher with Thome out, and to break up the righties, I just don't agree with it. His run production has never justified it.

I want to see the players in the positions they're going to be (or should eventually be) playing - that means Richar in 2 hole, Fields in the 5th or 6th.