Who would you like to see fired the most?

striker

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see fired the most?

• Ozzie Guillen
    • Kenny Williams
    • Don Cooper
    • Greg Walker

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 12:23 AM)
He was on a roll at the end of the season and finished with decent numbers. Of course it was a mirage, it reminded me of when Jim Abbott came back to the Sox after being released and went 5-0 at the end of the season throwing junk up to the plate. Milwaukee gave him some decent money that winter and wound up eating most of it as they released him fairly quickly. Not everyone thought it was a mirage. They were raving about his split.

Not that you are wrong about this, but are you EVER wrong? Just wondering.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(chisoxt @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 08:46 PM)
Exactly. It's one thing to have several 'projects' in the bullpen, but with this payroll it's downright cheap and foolish.

Obviously, as has been send 1,000 times, the bullpen is a crapshoot. Thornton was very good last year, this year, so-so at best.

I never thought Bukvich would be anything "close" to decent, and he has surprised me, same with Wasserman.

Did the Brewers miraculously get better with Linebrink? Has SD collapsed without arguably the best middle reliever in baseball (him or Shields) over the last 2-3 years?

Even if we had the 2005 bullpen, this team is, at best, a .500 proposition...maybe 5 games over.

Right now, we're below major league average at 3B, SS, 2B, LF (with Owens) and CF.

Our rotation, the most important part of any team....looks to be in good shape. SEEMINGLY. But that's what everyone wrote coming into 2006 and look what transpired.

Besides Fields and a healthy Crede, we still have no "in house" answers for SS, 2B and CF. Assuming Joe is healthy. Richar probably will disappear from the White Sox and show up 2 years later hitting .350 for the Braves!

Maybe we should just get Eckstein, Edmonds and bring back Aaron Miles. Just kidding. Although if we actually give Aaron Rowand anything approaching $10 million per season, I will officially think Williams has lost his mind.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 03:49 AM)
I'm wrong a lot. I'm also right a few times. Just like everyone else. What's the point, I'm not allowed to give an opinion?

It's just that once you get on something, you are pretty obsessive. Of course, so am I, so my glass house is broken, too. :D

For example, Fields sucks, Uribe is awesome, and nothing will change it.

Just an observation.

Sorry, shouldn't have said anything ... you add a lot but sometimes just push things beyond what I would expect. That's all.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 12:19 AM)
Did the Brewers miraculously get better with Linebrink? Has SD collapsed without arguably the best middle reliever in baseball (him or Shields) over the last 2-3 years?

And btw...for those who haven't paid attention.

Post all-star break...Scot Shields's numbers:

ERA 8.47. 16 ER, 18 runs in 17 innings. 12 walks, 26 hits...opponents hitting .351 off of him.

And btw...for those who haven't paid attention.

Post all-star break...Scot Shields's numbers:

ERA 8.47. 16 ER, 18 runs in 17 innings. 12 walks, 26 hits...opponents hitting .351 off of him.

Wow, thanks for posting those stats. That's really something and it goes to show the frustrating nature of bullpens from year to year. That has to be talent evaluators hardest job, do you stick with these bullpen guys who fluctuate so often, or do you get rid of them. White Sox have lots of decisions like that, namely Masset, Aardsma, MacDougal and possibly a few others.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 07:21 PM)
We were told it was the World Baseball Classic and playoffs that had Freddy's velocity at about Charlie Haeger level. We were lied to? I thought he had to be hurt. Freddy had stiffness in the spring when they checked him again, at least as thorough as they would have had him checked in any trade, and it came back clean. If Gillick is a fool what does that say about Ozzie, a guy who knows Freddy a lot better than any of us, and a guy who would know a lot better than any of us if something is not right? He said Freddy would win 20 games in 2007.

That he'd make a good politician. :huh :huh :huh

Seriously, you think Ozzie is going to bad mouth not only his son-in-law (or something), but a former player of his whom he liked? Get real; he's not going to say "I think Garcia is going to suck next year because he's lost a lot of velocity."

Jay Mariotti. Is there a meaner, more duplicitous back stabber in the world of sports? Has there ever been? Oh yeah, the Sox will still stink if he's forced to deliver papers instead of write for one, but it would be a big step in restoring my faith in truth, justice, and the American way.

Greg Walker, plain and simple. Whereas a part of me wouldn't mind seeing each and every one of 'em fired, Walker leads the way for me due to the fact that all the others have their good points.

With the Sox batting a mlb dead-last .243, next-to-last in runs scored, tied for last in OBP, etc., etc., the hitting coach has got to pay the price. With a 7th best HR total, how can we be 2 or 3 from the bottm in RBIs? Greg Walker, be gone!

QUOTE(drive like jehu @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 09:33 AM)
I'd still like to fire Jerry Reinsdorf....

if it were possible.

Well, I've seen everyone get blamed, I guess we might as well "fire" Jerry too. Because a guy who plows almost all the profits back into his payroll every year, brought us a World Championship and has constantly improved the ballpark sure is a loser.

QUOTE(drive like jehu @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
1) Money doesn't always buy championships, what have the Yankees won recently?

2) Jerry didn't win the championship... The players did.

3) If championships influence your thinkings, why doesn't 1994 factor into your opinion. It would have been nice to see our guys have a chance to win it that year.

4) Jerry wouldn't have had to fix the ballpark if he had done it the right way in the beginning.

1. The Yankees have won 9 straight division titles and made 3 World Series appearances in the 2000s, winning one of them.

2. Sweet...last I looked, Jerry and the owners employed everyone in the organization. So Jerry did win the championship.

3. Feed the family before you feed yourself...Jerry obviously felt negotiations on the new CBA were not going well, and that they wouldn't be babies about it.

4. He made a mistake and fixed it; quit whining.

QUOTE(drive like jehu @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)
My question was rhetorical. It was an attempt to display that both he and I are whiners and I think he tolerates his whining much more then mine....

I didn't view my post as whining, and the only part of your post I viewed as whining was the stadium part. You are making a big deal out of something that has been fixed. It's like b****ing that the team sucked in 2002 even though they won a World Series in 2005 - whining and manufacturing a reason to be pissed, when really you shouldn't be pissed off about it at all.

The physical wouldn't have shown anything. Freddy also was sore in spring training and had an MRI done, and that came back fine. Go back to the boards here when Freddy was on a roll at the end of the year and tell me how many people thought he was going to fall off a cliff? Ozzie Guillen who knows him better than anyone on this board and apparently a guy who always speaks the truth, said Freddy would win 20 in Philadelphia, so he must be a fool as well. I was one who didn't like Freddy's immediate future, and was criticized for it. I applauded KW for the trade. He couldn't lose. Even if Floyd and Gio are busts he saves money.

He blew it on crap. Remind me of all the players that were signed after the Garcia trade?

As I said in another thread, if I sold my magic beans to some sucker, I still wouldn't feel too good about myself if I used that money to buy some garbage.

He blew it on crap. Remind me of all the players that were signed after the Garcia trade?

As I said in another thread, if I sold my magic beans to some sucker, I still wouldn't feel too good about myself if I used that money to buy some garbage.

There were some raises for existing players factored in as well.

QUOTE(drive like jehu @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
2) Jerry didn't win the championship... The players did.

And in 2007 Jerry didn't finish with a crappy record and most likely in last place...The players did.

What I find irionic is the general consensus at the beginning the season that the Sox were after 2007 because Dye and Buehrle were going to bolt.

Well the Sox suck and Dye and Buehrle have been resigned. Most people didn't predict either scenario let alone both.

Did JR screw up by allowing KW the flexibility to bring both these guys back?

Bob

QUOTE(drive like jehu @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 07:48 AM)
Really?

That's funny because I didn't see MY post as whining either. Very strange. I hope you don't see yourself as one of those great dick-tators of the internets who has the power to discern what is and isn't whining over any and all other posters...

I do think your post did help me see our difference of opinion on the park. I think you believe (at the least) the Mauve Monster + renovations = Comiskey. I disagree. You could gold plate that park but it will never rival the Baseball Palace of the World. Please don't misinterpet my view of the renovations. I think the Mauve Monster is better for it. At least they are trying to make it LOOK like Comiskey. I just believe that Comiskey Park was more then just a color scheme.

Have you actually been to the new park in the last couple years? It doesn't seem you have, if you think that all they changed was the paint job.

And I am fairly certain that they are not at all trying to make it Comiskey - they are trying to make it a solid ballpark for both younger and family crowds, and they've done an excellent job of it.

QUOTE(drive like jehu @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 07:55 AM)
I agree, the 2007 record has no effect on my opinion of Reinsdorf just as the 2005 record has no effect on my opinion of Reinsdorf. It's his contribution to the transformation of baseball from the common man's past time of yester year into the elitist sport of today.

What are you talking about? Reinsdorf more than most owners has been pushing to try to keep salaries under control - its one of his mantras. Heck, the '94 strike was partially due to that. So af far as I can tell, he is one of the owners LEAST at fault for the higher salaries (and therefore higher ticket prices) that have made the game more "elitist".

I am sure one could find plenty of faults in JR, but encouraging the game to become more elitist is not among them.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 12:54 PM)
Have you actually been to the new park in the last couple years? It doesn't seem you have, if you think that all they changed was the paint job.

And I am fairly certain that they are not at all trying to make it Comiskey - they are trying to make it a solid ballpark for both younger and family crowds, and they've done an excellent job of it.

I'm still pissed off that we didn't get to go in after the softball game Memorial Day weekend. I really wanted to see the new improvements.

QUOTE(drive like jehu @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 06:48 AM)
Really?

That's funny because I didn't see MY post as whining either. Very strange. I hope you don't see yourself as one of those great dick-tators of the internets who has the power to discern what is and isn't whining over any and all other posters...

I do think your post did help me see our difference of opinion on the park. I think you believe (at the least) the Mauve Monster + renovations = Comiskey. I disagree. You could gold plate that park but it will never rival the Baseball Palace of the World. Please don't misinterpet my view of the renovations. I think the Mauve Monster is better for it. At least they are trying to make it LOOK like Comiskey. I just believe that Comiskey Park was more then just a color scheme.

Listen, if you're going to b**** and moan at least b**** and moan in the right direction. Jerry and the ownership group - because in case you were not aware Jerry does NOT "own" the Sox, not even CLOSE to a majority shareholder actually - gave several proposals to the state of Illinois for consideration when the new stadium was proposed. Since it was the State of Illinois who was making the financial decisions and who actually OWNS the park via public bonds, THEY were the ones to make the decision on the structure. Comiskey Park WAS more than a color scheme. However it's gone. In it's place have been 16 years of memories and a World Series title. What you choose to focus on speaks volumes.

QUOTE(drive like jehu @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 08:29 AM)
I can't remember the exact amount Albert "Fat Ass" Belle got after the strike but I believe it was one of the largest contracts ever (at the time).

It WAS the largest, and as unplesant as he was, did his job which is more than can be said for most of those on the team in '97 and '98.

QUOTE(drive like jehu @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 08:24 AM)
Thank you for your concern on how I b**** and moan. I can tell you sincerely care about me as a human being.

Love,

Jehu

Actually, I hope that your s*** stirring is stopped so the topic can get back on track, but we can't always get what we want.

Have a lovey day. I sincerely hope you get that stick out of your ass before it does any serious damage.

Regards,

Steff

My list of who I would like to see fired the most...

1. The Opera singing Hot Dog vendor in Detroit (I know he doesn't work for us, but I hate him so much)

2. Almost anyone in our bullpen who weighs under 270 pounds

3. Juan Uribe

4. Scott Podsednik's groin

5. Jose Contreras arm angles

6. The Flying Spaghetti Monster for raining out all of those games

7. Toby Hall's Labrum

8. Andy Gonzalez's agent

9. The Sox Pride Crew

10. Jim Thome's back