All black boys to the front of the class!

Jenksismyhero

http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/site/new...12588&rfi=6

(1) I bet everyone who read the thread topic instantly thought "oh my! how racist!"

(2) If the principal/assistant super-intendent really didn't have a problem with it and agreed that young black men needed more attention from teachers, what was wrong with the email?

(3) I love the reaction at the end of the article:

Roberto Flores, League of United Latin American Citizens, said on the outset it seemed to forget other groups but that once he understood the goal was to encourage low-performing students it made sense.

"I think everything got lost in interpretation," Flores said, adding he understands how some students want to just skate by in school.

Why are they talking to a spokesperon for Latin Americans when the email had nothing to do with them? And what kind of reaction is that? "Ohhh, I understand the goal. It's cool, no biggie."

(4) Imagine the outrage if a white assistant principal, with the SAME well-reasoned intentions, had done this. Imus x 10 million.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

Just curious... if every time you posted something that was black-on-white or hispanic-on-white racism, someone else posted an example of the opposite direction... how would you react?

I fail to see the point of these. I'm pretty aware that racism in all directions and all forms still exists. Is that the point?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 07:20 PM)
Just curious... if every time you posted something that was black-on-white or hispanic-on-white racism, someone else posted an example of the opposite direction... how would you react?

I fail to see the point of these. I'm pretty aware that racism in all directions and all forms still exists. Is that the point?

I think I'd say "gee, that's proof that every race has as*holes so lets all stop with the whites are the only race that practices racist/discriminatory conduct Mr. Jackson and Mr. Sharpton."

The point of the post (as if there NEEDS to be a point on an online message board) was based on the reaction I first had after reading the headline. I thought this was some backwards-ass Texas town that did something horrible to embarass the black kids in class. Instead I opened the article and found out that it was a black asst principal who sent the email and she had a pretty solid reason for doing so.

And then I wanted to note the hypocrasy of the actions by the principal and super-intendent - who would find this email objectionable, especially if people knew it came from a black 'leader' of the school? - and that another minority group was at first offended by the fact that they weren't included in the 'racist' email, but later, after actually reading the email and understanding it's purpose, suddenly became ok with it.

And to top it off, yeah I thought it'd be interested to think of the reaction if people found out a white person had sent the email, with the same intentions of helping those students who statistically are failing at a high rate. They'd forget about the intentions (as did the principal, super-intendent and leader of the latin american group) and consider it blatant racism and everyone and their mother would be up in arms over it. Instead its a story that skated right on by, further proof of the hypocracy of the vast majority of racism that you hear about on the news.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 09:12 AM)
I thought this was some backwards-ass Texas town

At first I was going to insert some smart ass, sarcastic, and condescending comment, then I realized we did inflict our Governor now President Bush on this great country, so we probably deserve a shot now and again.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 12:26 PM)
At first I was going to insert some smart ass, sarcastic, and condescending comment, then I realized we did inflict our Governor now President Bush on this great country, so we probably deserve a shot now and again.

Yes, but you gave us Hank Hill too. So I think that might be like a cancel out type thing.

Uh...we talk about stuff like that all the time about how to get anybody -- red, white, blue, black, brown or green -- to get motivated and get their stuff together in class. We have free reign to set up the seating chart in any way that we want.

I'd be interested to see:

-the level of special ed numbers at the school

-the level of staff working with the special ed

-the level of communication between inclusionary (reg ed) and special ed teachers so both know what is happening in the inclusion classroom every day since most special ed kids will be in there with co-taught classes

-if it would be possible to try an alternative strategy during standardized testing. Instead of having them all test in their homerooms, etc., our school found increased test score numbers by having easily distracted students/some special ed students take their test in rooms with only two other students and a staff member. It lessened the amount of distractions and helped them to focus better on the examination. We ended up hitting our AYP benchmarks on testing scores in everything except for special ed subgroup which only missed by 1.2%. Not bad for a district that has 40%+ mobility and about 70% low income/free-reduced lunches.

This has more to do about educational strategy than "OMG TEH BLACK VERSEZ TEH WHITE!"