Lockdown

Jake

So shortly after another dreaded day of school began, it suddenly became more dreadful. Just 5-10 minutes after pledging allegiance and listening to morning announcements, our principal came on the loudspeaker once again. He says we are in a Code Red situation, and we all groan about how we hate Code Red drills. Lights out, door locked, we all huddle against the wall. My teacher complains that they didn't even warn her about this drill.

After about 45 minutes in near silence as we are told, the principal again comes on the loud speaker telling us that this is not a drill, and emphasizes that we are not to answer the door under any circumstances and to follow all other code red rules. He repeats this message periodically, and we start to realize that maybe there is a Code Red. Most speculate that somebody phoned in a threat. Now, the principal speaks again, saying that we need not panic and that we are all completely safe.

After a nap, and lots of Spanish review, we are let out of our rooms and led to our auditorium 4 hours after the initial announcement. Hungry and starting to get worried, we listen as the buzz gets around that maybe something more serious than a phone call has happened. I notice that students are missing from the auditorium, I hope they were just the P.E. students outside and were ushered into the neighboring Junior High.

Our superintendent finally steps up and announces that we will be leaving early from school today. He then introduces our Chief of Police. He says that there was indeed a very serious situation today, although our safety wasn't compromised. He then holds up a pistol and tells us that six of these were found today and 3 students have been arrested. A student saw/heard about the supposed plot and told the school resource officer.

We leave school sans bookbags and all, the administration wants everyone to leave as soon as possible. We are greeted by what reporters called 120 parents who heard through various media sources that the school was locked down. Looking for my mom (who I did find) I was fighting off reporters and TV cameras, not to mention concerned parents.

By word of mouth, I have gathered the names of 2 of the 3 arrested kids. (Won't be spreading that here or anywhere) as well as the student who somehow foiled the plan. I wasn't familiar with the names I heard, other than after I looked at a yearbook I identified one as a busboy at a local restaurant. Also by rumor, I have gathered that they planned to take out a particular person at lunch and then continue the assault on the rest of the student body. Incidentally, that was also my lunch period. Kind of makes me wonder what could have been.

Fox Chicago Video

Pantagraph

Chicago Tribune

Edited by Jake

QUOTE(Markbilliards @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 01:44 AM)
Thank goodness for the person who reported that. It's so easy to just shrug certain talk off as a joke so much of the time, its good to know that a student took it seriously.

That's the first thing I thought of too. This student should be applauded and be used as an example for all students.

Jake, I'm glad you and the rest of your school are ok today.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
That's the first thing I thought of too. This student should be applauded and be used as an example for all students.

Jake, I'm glad you and the rest of your school are ok today.

But will this student be treated accordingly by his peers? or will he/she be labeled a rat?

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
I don't think anyone would pick on a kid that may have saved their lives.

it was a question, not my opinion, but thanks for answering. I agree. The kid did the right thing and should be honored for a smart, quick response.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
it was a question, not my opinion, but thanks for answering. I agree. The kid did the right thing and should be honored for a smart, quick response.

That is the general feeling around school.

As an update, the police are trying the main two involved as adults, and the other as a juvenile. 12 counts of weapons charges apiece, and one has a charge for cocaine possession. What the police are saying now is that the guns were brought to school to be sold by one to sell to the other, for money and possibly the cocaine that was found. The buyer was late to school however and the exchange was never made. Rumors are that it is gang-related, but that could be totally made up. The main talk around school now is why the TV cameras seemed to find the parents with the fewest teeth. :P

QUOTE(Jake @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 06:44 PM)
That is the general feeling around school.

As an update, the police are trying the main two involved as adults, and the other as a juvenile. 12 counts of weapons charges apiece, and one has a charge for cocaine possession. What the police are saying now is that the guns were brought to school to be sold by one to sell to the other, for money and possibly the cocaine that was found. The buyer was late to school however and the exchange was never made. Rumors are that it is gang-related, but that could be totally made up. The main talk around school now is why the TV cameras seemed to find the parents with the fewest teeth. :P

Guns and people without teeth. There's more than that in Pontiac?

/teaches in a town in the same conference