Rangers vs White Sox

Chisoxfn

Was that Kinsler that tripped over 1st base? The guy trips over first, goes flying and lands practically on his face, slips slightly while trying to GET UP, and still cruises into 2nd. That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and boy did I laugh, even in the midst of one of the most brutal games I've ever subjected myself to watching.

Edited by TheBigHurt

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 04:18 AM)
So on a line drive... Owens got set up. Got behind it. Then dove for the ball. Then got up, ready to unleash his cannon arm home. Only to drop the ball.

At least we know why Ozzie likes him. He played that ball about as well as Ozzie managed that game tonight.

In any other organization, Ozzie would have been fired by now.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 11:20 PM)
However, I'm still worried whether or not we'll be willing to sign a draft pick over slot recommendations. This depends heavily upon the expected value of fellow amateur players and their representation (ie, Boras).

Another factor is Jerry's relationship with Bud, which I think will work against your wishes

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 04:26 AM)
Another factor is Jerry's relationship with Bud, which I think will work against your wishes

Well, if it's the first pick in the draft, the slot will be pretty high. Also, in a worst-case scenario, if we didn't sign that person, the pick would rollover to the next year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 11:27 PM)
Well, if it's the first pick in the draft, the slot will be pretty high. Also, in a worst-case scenario, if we didn't sign that person, the pick would rollover to the next year.

Yeah but Flash wants a change in top management if we go anti-Boras. Boras clients will go above slot, and Jerry isn't gonna fire himself

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 11:20 PM)
In his first 45 AB he batted .178, he followed that up with a .249 return over the season the following year. So what ballpark are you talking about. Lets not act like Ventura came up and hit at all. You had Richar the first year, and a less powerful Josh Fields the next year.

Ventura was a Golden Spikes award winner with a record hitting streak in college and Sox knew he would hit, Richar just floating around in Arizona system and traded because Arizona had no place for him. What the hell has he done to deserve any optimism besides being a cheap option for KW at 2nd base in 2008?

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 11:26 PM)

Seriously, is there anything that doesn't work against my wishes?

I still would like to believe, even with evidence to the contrary, we'll select the best player available.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 11:32 PM)
Yeah but Flash wants a change in top management if we go anti-Boras. Boras clients will go above slot, and Jerry isn't gonna fire himself

I wouldn't suggest a change in management for that reason alone.

It's more a crusade of mine to convince Reinsdorf, even from a message board he's never heard of, to put aside his differences for the sake of the ballclub. Even at an absurd price, such as 7.5 million, that's more than worth it if the player reaches the majors and produces at the minimum for 5+ years.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 11:33 PM)
Venture was a golden spike award winner with a record hitting streak in college and Sox knew he would hit, Richar just floating around in Arizona system and traded because Arizona had no place for him. What the hell has he done to deserve any optimism besides being a cheap option for KW at 2nd base in 2008?

The golden spike awards translates to hitting at the major leagues? Someone should get into a time machine and remind Travis Lee and Mike Kelly about this as well. Maybe we can give a prospect 500 or so ABs before we toss him to the woodpile. You realize that Golden Spikes winner Alex Gordon, the overall top minor league guy last year struggled. Richie Weeks another Golden spikes winner struggled as well and was sent back to the minors earlier this year. This season is over, lets see if Richar or any of the others can learn on the job right now. Maybe he sucks, who knows. But lets see over a larger sample size.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 11:33 PM)
What the hell has he done to deserve any optimism besides being a cheap option for KW at 2nd base in 2008?

Had an .870 OPS through 98 AAA games this year. At second base.

Has 10 walks (one of the best things to see out of a young hitter) in his first 92 plate appearances.

Has played good defense. Is fast.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 11:43 PM)
The golden spike awards translates to hitting at the major leagues? Someone should get into a time machine and remind Travis Lee and Mike Kelly about this as well. Maybe we can give a prospect 500 or so ABs before we toss him to the woodpile. You realize that Golden Spikes winner Alex Gordon, the overall top minor league guy last year struggled. Richie Weeks another Golden spikes winner struggled as well and was sent back to the minors earlier this year. This season is over, lets see if Richar or any of the others can learn on the job right now. Maybe he sucks, who knows. But lets see over a larger sample size.

I agree season is over, so I guess he has rest of year to to shine or not!

It's more a crusade of mine to convince Reinsdorf, even from a message board he's never heard of, to put aside his differences for the sake of the ballclub.

You're wasting your time.

Do something productive, write him a letter, ask for a response, and post the response here. Typing the same thing over and over on a message board might make you feel better but it doesn't get anything to change.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 07:34 AM)
You're wasting your time.

Do something productive, write him a letter, ask for a response, and post the response here. Typing the same thing over and over on a message board might make you feel better but it doesn't get anything to change.

We're all wasting our time on this board, to be honest.

Suggesting changes over and over is more than an attempt to speak out to Reinsdorf himself, who by now has heard calls for his resignation longer than he cares to remember.

This issue for me, atleast, is presenting an opinion to which members/lurkers can say to themselves, "you know, that's a good question; why does it matter what happens with Boras?" I'm not acting like what I say is enough to change the world. I don't cary that much clout. However, I do believe these message boards (Soxtalk, WSI) are browsed through by people within the organization. Not for guidance, but a pulse of internet members who -- on average -- are more baseball savy than your typical fan. If more people are upset, and more people understand the issues relating to our draft defencies, perhaps more questions will be asked.

When Williams was quoted several months ago as saying people expect more out of draft picks and our consistently low position is no excuse, I have to ask myself, who exactly were the people suggesting this? I sure as hell didn't read anything out of the local papers. You may say I'm overstating Soxtalk's impact on the White Sox, but I say, someone is reading. Sports Illustrated proved that several years ago.

This issue for me, atleast, is presenting an opinion to which members/lurkers can say to themselves, "you know, that's a good question; why does it matter what happens with Boras?" I'm not acting like what I say is enough to change the world. I don't cary that much clout. However, I do believe these message boards (Soxtalk, WSI) are browsed through by people within the organization. Not for guidance, but a pulse of internet members who -- on average -- are more baseball savy than your typical fan. If more people are upset, and more people understand the issues relating to our draft defencies, perhaps more questions will be asked.

When Williams was quoted several months ago as saying people expect more out of draft picks and our consistently low position is no excuse, I have to ask myself, who exactly were the people suggesting this? I sure as hell didn't read anything out of the local papers. You may say I'm overstating Soxtalk's impact on the White Sox, but I say, someone is reading. Sports Illustrated proved that several years ago.

Sports Illustrated is a media piece that very often uses other media to get a quote or story.

As for the White Sox reading message boards and using that as a compass for their course of action ... no.

You are not going to start a revolution in the Sox front office by posting the same thing over and over. As for their statements about getting more out of draft picks, the Williams/Shaffer rub goes back long long ago.

I have gently suggested to you several times about writing a letter or getting an interview with someone who can and does have an impact, you haven't responded. I take that to mean you have no interest in doing something constructive on this topic and maybe getting this board some answers to the issue you bring up almost daily.

So let me ask you specifically, are you willing to step up and write a letter asking for an interview or two with the decision makers? Or otherwise contact them to set up an interview? If not, why not? I am willing to do it but you're the one constantly beating the drum, I would think you'd really want answers.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
I have gently suggested to you several times about writing a letter or getting an interview with someone who can and does have an impact, you haven't responded. I take that to mean you have no interest in doing something constructive on this topic and maybe getting this board some answers to the issue you bring up almost daily.

So let me ask you specifically, are you willing to step up and write a letter asking for an interview or two with the decision makers? Or otherwise contact them to set up an interview? If not, why not? I am willing to do it but you're the one constantly beating the drum, I would think you'd really want answers.

Several times? I recall once, and that's several posts above.

I'm interested in improving our minor league system, don't get me wrong, but not to the extent where I'd physically take time composing an email/letter and address it to Hahn, Williams, Reinsdorf, Wilder, whomever else. I'm not interested in simple answers. It just doesn't seem worth the time. The real questions I'd ask, such as what exactly are our scouts in Latin American doing, or pleaing for them to quit the ridiculous opposition to Boras, probably wouldn't get true responses.

I'm interested in results. What we can see on the field. They can bulls*** me all they want about taking steps to improve international scouting and their philosophical approach to drafting, but until these changes are evident on the diamond, what does it matter?

I also understand it may take time for changes to be seen. However, if we're looking to contend for any division titles, these changes need to occur sooner rather than later. We can't have every prospect promoted struggling; which seems to happen nearly every time.