Oz blows his cork...

Wanne

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 10:15 AM)
Yeah, because when I think of a team that firey, that has balls, that tries hard to win every game and plays sound baseball...the first one to come to mind is baltimore.

Do I need the green?

I didnt say acquire the baltimore orioles, I said tejada. Maybe you need to re-read what I posted. He is a notoriously high energy guy and is very competitive.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not even close.

Agree. He is not the guy that fills the need. Pierzynski is intense but his extreme level of sarcasm doesn't play well. Not that he isn't an intense competitor. It's hard to put into words but he isn't the right fit for that role. It needs to be a veteran and the right kind of veteran.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 11:27 AM)
Agree. He is not the guy that fills the need. Pierzynski is intense but his extreme level of sarcasm doesn't play well. Not that he isn't an intense competitor. It's hard to put into words but he isn't the right fit for that role. It needs to be a veteran and the right kind of veteran.

This team needs Ross Gload back. :headbang

Kidding. Sort of.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 04:35 PM)
I'll take anger during a really bad season over Jerry Manuel's "ho-hum" attitude during a mediocre season. Hopefully they'll have this same chip on their shoulder in April.

And May and June and July and August and September, which would mean and October as well.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 10:27 AM)

And for whatever reason, guys don't respond to him well. Don't misconstrue that as me saying they don't like him. But when Carl spoke in the clubhouse, others listened. If he said jump, they didn't ask how high, they just jumped. AJ will never get that. I honestly don't know if there is anyone out there that would. I've long said they should bring Bo in as a "clubhouse liason". He's got an edge that I think would work. Belle also would fit nicely in that role. Someone who knows how to shut out all the bulls*** and prepare for a game properly, IMO.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 10:35 AM)
I'll take anger during a really bad season over Jerry Manuel's "ho-hum" attitude during a mediocre season. Hopefully they'll have this same chip on their shoulder in April.

JMO, but for those with a ring... the attitude is long gone and not coming back any time soon.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 09:21 AM)
I didnt say acquire the baltimore orioles, I said tejada. Maybe you need to re-read what I posted. He is a notoriously high energy guy and is very competitive.

At least to my eyes...it seems like it's been a long time since Tejada fit that billing.

Let me clarify: I love PK and Thome and they "lead" through their class and their skills. But as far as dugout firebrands who fire up the team and spit piss n' vinegar, they're flatliners. Nothing wrong with that, but it's just true. I can't imagine either one overturning the card tables after a loss or calling out a teammate for lollygagging or telling the guys in the dugout when they're behind not to give up.

And I think that's what's missing on this team. Sure Ozzie WAS like that, but when he's the only guy, he's probably sick of trying at this point, as he strongly suggests.

Who on the team fits that bill, besides Buehrle?

PK: no

Richar: rookie

Uribe: hell no

Fields: rookie (Crede? no)

Pods: MIA, although he seemed to have that when he was back. For two weeks.

Owens: rookie

Dye: hell no

Vaz: no

Garland: LOL

Jose: LOL really LOL again

Danks: rookie

Erstadt: maaaaybe, but I'd say no

Pablo: plays with fire, not sure if he's a fiery personality though

A.J.: as noted, more of an internal competitiveness (although he did yell at Owens for botching that bloop single throw into home during Boston series)

A bunch of flatliners, we got us.

Yer gonna hate me for this but here goes: the few glimpses of Cubs games I see, you got guys doing the "jump n' bump" after an inning over, Big Z always looking psychotic, lots of energy and high-fiving in the dugout... you can SEE it. They also have a manager who basically did Ozzie's rant back in June.

We look like a bunch of old men who would rather be somewhere else.

If this is what 2008 holds for us, I say: gut it. Gut it all. I'd rather see AA guys try and fail then emotionless "pros" who phone it in.

Thank you!

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 11:39 AM)
And for whatever reason, guys don't respond to him well. Don't misconstrue that as me saying they don't like him. But when Carl spoke in the clubhouse, others listened. If he said jump, they didn't ask how high, they just jumped. AJ will never get that. I honestly don't know if there is anyone out there that would. I've long said they should bring Bo in as a "clubhouse liason". He's got an edge that I think would work. Belle also would fit nicely in that role. Someone who knows how to shut out all the bulls*** and prepare for a game properly, IMO.

fisk.jpg

"Someone called?"

Mark a fireball who "fires up the team and spits piss n' vinegar" :huh:

Honestly that is the first time I have ever heard anyone use anything like that to describe Mark. Mark is very quiet, reserved and focused. The tarp sliding is about all the piss n' vinegar you'd get out of him. He's way more a big kid than a big stern adult. Very unconfrontational.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 11:00 AM)
Won't happen. Ever.

Unless something in his life drastically changed, that's exactly what he said - for the 8,031st time. :lolhitting

He's way to happy being out of the limelight.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 12:01 PM)
Unless something in his life drastically changed, that's exactly what he said - for the 8,031st time. :lolhitting

He's way to happy being out of the limelight.

People could just refer back to this simple flow chart for their answer in the future.

Q. Would Carlton Fisk work for the Chicago White Sox

--->Does Jerry Reisndorf still run the team?

-------->If Yes, then, answer= "f@#$ no!"

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 11:59 AM)
Mark a fireball who "fires up the team and spits piss n' vinegar" :huh:

Honestly that is the first time I have ever heard anyone use anything like that to describe Mark. Mark is very quiet, reserved and focused. The tarp sliding is about all the piss n' vinegar you'd get out of him. He's way more a big kid than a big stern adult. Very unconfrontational.

Bad writing on my part, I was unclear.

I meant that Buehrle is definitely a cheerleader, seems to always be watching the game, always pattin guys on the back, having a laugh when it's due--I love the play last weekend where Big Poppy just walked into the dugout after Buehrle fielded his comebacker and they both just cracked up.

In other words: some EMOTION. Some joy. Some measurable excitement (granted on the mound he is a cool customer).

You're right about the big kid analogy: he still has a childlike enthusiasm for the game. I remember when we won in '05 him bounding out of the dugout.

And that's just as valuable, IMO, as the "piss n' vinegar" types.

Edited by LVSoxFan

Oh man, I would so love to see Pudge back in some way. Too bad its not happening.

Thing is, I'd bet it isn't JUST the way things ended. If he wanted back in pretty badly, he'd be somewhere in the Red Sox organization by now. I think maybe what Steff said makes sense - he like staying out of the limelight.

Well, except for those horrible gray hair commercials, which I like to pretend don't exist.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 12:11 PM)
Like a new manager?

Last year on CSN they showed Ozzie teaching the young kids how to bunt and he was getting everything down perfectly. I recently YouTubed for Ozzie and found a clip of him dropping a perfect bunt in the 1999 World Series for the Braves and he makes it to first base though the throw was a bit bad. It was still a perfect bunt and if he were faster and younger and healthier, he'd have for sure made it. It's kind of funny, then, when I saw him bunting perfect that one day. Erstad could teach people a thing or two about bunting, too.

This team needs more than just "energy" and "spark." It needs new players. Not someone to come in and say, 'Hey, guys, let's go!" No no no no. That's not the answer. More "grinders" and "motivators" aren't it.