Bristol Sox

BigEdWalsh

Bristol's season is over and there will be no playoffs for the Sox.

Nick Mahin lead the team in hitting at .298, followed by Jordan Cheatham (.287), Jose Martinez (.282), Kent Gerst (.281) and Logan Johnson (.280).

Po-Yu Lin lead the woeful pitching staff with a 6-5 record and 3.30 ERA. He whiffed 65 in 62.2 innings.

Nevin Griffith pitched in just 8 games, 8.2 inn. 5.19 ERA, .359 BA against.

Full team batting and pitching stats.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...ibp&cid=557

Most of the other affiliates have only 5-6 games left. Other than Great Falls, I don't think any will be in playoffs.

Lots of very raw players on the Bristol squad, several imports from the Dominican and teenagers just out of high school getting their first taste of pro ball. Many of these guys will go to instructional league mid Sept. and that's good, they need instruction.

Bobby Thigpen was manager and they never really got rolling there. I wonder if they will stay in Bristol next year, the Appalachian League is a bit wobbly and the White Sox may want to try something different.

On Nevin Griffith, he barely got his feet wet, he joined the team late and only got into a few games. I would not take too much out of his results one way or the other. In Bristol, they are almost always working with these guys on some basic stuff, possibly cleaning up their delivery or other things.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 11:10 AM)
Lots of very raw players on the Bristol squad, several imports from the Dominican and teenagers just out of high school getting their first taste of pro ball. Many of these guys will go to instructional league mid Sept. and that's good, they need instruction.

Bobby Thigpen was manager and they never really got rolling there. I wonder if they will stay in Bristol next year, the Appalachian League is a bit wobbly and the White Sox may want to try something different.

If they do move the club, I'd like to see them move to somewhere other than the southeast. If you look at the Sox' affiliates:

Charlotte

Birmingham

Winston-Salem

Kannapolis

Bristol

Great Falls

Other than GF, do you see a pattern? They are ALL in the southeast. I'd like to see the Sox try for more exposure in other regions of the country. For marketing purposes, I think that could be a positive.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 10:10 AM)

You're not kidding about wobbly, if you're referring to things from an attendance viewpoint. The Appalachian League attendance for all affiliates are annually amongst the lowest in all of minor league baseball. The Bristol Sox this year drew somewhere around 20,000 averaging 692 per game.

I go to games at Orem, UT in the Pioneer League and they regularly draw around 3000 and that's Rookie ball.

These attendance stats aren't final but they show just how wobbly the Appalchian League is.

http://www.ballparkdigest.com/news/2007/ju...attendance.html

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE(Markbilliards @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)
Too bad we don't have minor league team near chicago.

There is a school of thought that that is good. The Sox are a team who wants to try to establish fan bases away from home. Other teams (Cubs, Red Sox) prefer to have them closer to home. I can see it either way.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 11:47 AM)
There is a school of thought that that is good. The Sox are a team who wants to try to establish fan bases away from home. Other teams (Cubs, Red Sox) prefer to have them closer to home. I can see it either way.

Not to mention it's impossible to find a AA, high A, or rookie ball team close to the Chicago area.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 12:40 PM)
Not to mention it's impossible to find a AA, high A, or rookie ball team close to the Chicago area.

Hm... well, Kane County is Low A Athletics, right? What are the Schaumburg Flyers? And doesn't Waukegan or one of the far north burbs have a team?

ETA: Peoria Cubs are high A, yes?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 01:31 PM)
Hm... well, Kane County is Low A Athletics, right? What are the Schaumburg Flyers? And doesn't Waukegan or one of the far north burbs have a team?

ETA: Peoria Cubs are high A, yes?

Low A has the Midwest League which would make it easy to pick a team in the area. That's Kane County and Peoria. Schaumburg is independent and I don't know of this Waukegan team.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
You know what would be handy? If MILB.com had a map of the U.S., showing where all the various teams were. Something interactive, where you could pick what level to show (AAA, AA, etc.), or what league, or a close up on a region. It would be very easy to do using rastering.

I think this is pretty close.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 01:40 PM)
You know what would be handy? If MILB.com had a map of the U.S., showing where all the various teams were. Something interactive, where you could pick what level to show (AAA, AA, etc.), or what league, or a close up on a region. It would be very easy to do using rastering.

They have something similar

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 10:54 AM)
Bristol's season is over and there will be no playoffs for the Sox.

Nick Mahin lead the team in hitting at .298, followed by Jordan Cheatham (.287), Jose Martinez (.282), Kent Gerst (.281) and Logan Johnson (.280).

Po-Yu Lin lead the woeful pitching staff with a 6-5 record and 3.30 ERA. He whiffed 65 in 62.2 innings.

Nevin Griffith pitched in just 8 games, 8.2 inn. 5.19 ERA, .359 BA against.

Full team batting and pitching stats.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...ibp&cid=557

Most of the other affiliates have only 5-6 games left. Other than Great Falls, I don't think any will be in playoffs.

Pioneer league has 9 more games.

The reason they have all the teams close to one another is to make it easier for the instructional people to get from team to team and also to move players from team to team in emergency situations. Adam Ricks played two games in one day for two different farm teams.

The Great Falls team out in Montana is there because the White Sox for whatever reason like the competitiveness of the Pioneer League. I would not be surprised though to see the Sox move the rookie league team (Bristol) into the Gulf Coast League but we'll see.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)
I would not be surprised though to see the Sox move the rookie league team (Bristol) into the Gulf Coast League but we'll see.

Don't you need a Spring Training complex in the Grapefruit League to have a team in the Gulf Coast League?

Don't you need a Spring Training complex in the Grapefruit League to have a team in the Gulf Coast League?

Don't know, maybe. All I know is the Appy League is iffy, Toronto pulled out last yr. and they're down to a bare minimum of teams. Sox might be considering their options. Attendance at Bristol has been extremely low.

QUOTE(Markbilliards @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 11:09 AM)
Ugh,

Griffith joined Matt Long and Ricky Brooks in the club of unsuccessful 2nd round picks in the past few years for the Sox. At least he's young I guess, I hope he does better next year.

??? :huh: Matt Long is still a question mark and yeah Ricky Brooks was unsuccessful, but I don't see how you can say that about Griffith as he barely pitched and is still very raw, right out of high school.

QUOTE(Markbilliards @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 09:09 AM)
Ugh,

Griffith joined Matt Long and Ricky Brooks in the club of unsuccessful 2nd round picks in the past few years for the Sox. At least he's young I guess, I hope he does better next year.

I think based on how long Griffith sat out before signing the Sox just wanted to get his feet wet a little bit, but he'll start next year in Kannapolis and begin what will likely be a 4-5 year process (since he is a high school pitcher).

I think we'll find out a lot more about Griffith next year, but he definitely has a bevy of quality pitches and now its a matter of working on honing those pitches, turning one of those pitches into a plus pitch, and obviously really developing better command. He has the raw ability though to be a good middle of the rotation guy, but it is so early so we'll see what Griffith will do.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 01:07 PM)
The reason they have all the teams close to one another is to make it easier for the instructional people to get from team to team and also to move players from team to team in emergency situations. Adam Ricks played two games in one day for two different farm teams.

The Great Falls team out in Montana is there because the White Sox for whatever reason like the competitiveness of the Pioneer League. I would not be surprised though to see the Sox move the rookie league team (Bristol) into the Gulf Coast League but we'll see.

Yep, not only does it make it easier on guys like Champion (roving pitching coach) but it also makes it easier for guys like Wilder/Williams/Lauman and everyone else involved in the minor league development (Ken Williams really isn't involved too much, aside from 1-2 trips he'll make during the season and I don't know how much Dave travelled this year but i know in the past he was always traveling amongst the affiliates).

Plus all the affiliates are still within a close flight of Chicago (especially given that you gain an hour moving from Birmingham or Charlotte).