Freddy Garcia has surgery

bkmoney

Just not paying Garcia this year makes this trade a win, I don't care who we got in the deal.

Really? Even if that money that was "freed" up was spent on Crede, Pods, Erstad, and Hall (they were not signed at the time of the Garcia trade,) really?

If I sold some magic beans and used the money to buy some rotten tomatoes, I wouldn't be doing backflips over it.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 09:21 PM)
Really? Even if that money that was "freed" up was spent on Crede, Pods, Erstad, and Hall (they were not signed at the time of the Garcia trade,) really?

If I sold some magic beans and used the money to buy some rotten tomatoes, I wouldn't be doing backflips over it.

Hey if you think pissing $10 million dollars away on a guy who needed shoulder surgery for a year, yet alone getting a couple of arms for him, is a good move, far be it from me to try to change your mind.

Kerry Wood and Mark Prior are available this off season, I am guessing I will see them at the top of your "To Do" list?

I'm not saying spending $10 million on Freddy to rehab is a good move (even if it was insured,) I'm saying the money that was "saved" was spent on garbage so it wasn't a good move. We also paid a higher price to get Gio back when his value was lower than when we first traded him.

Mark Prior and Kerry Wood have more injury history than Freddy did before 2006, but they will be cheaper due to their current contracts, so if they were available this offseason I would have interest in them (more so in Prior.)

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2007 -> 09:29 PM)
Hey if you think pissing $10 million dollars away on a guy who needed shoulder surgery for a year, yet alone getting a couple of arms for him, is a good move, far be it from me to try to change your mind.

Kerry Wood and Mark Prior are available this off season, I am guessing I will see them at the top of your "To Do" list?

The point was that the Sox ended up breaking even because they spent the money on other injured players.

The fact we were unable to unload him before his arm fell off and the fact that Garcia and Gavin Floyd have the same amount wins this year is a victory in itself.

That and getting Gio Gonzalez, who may or may not amount to much more than hype.

So Freddy Garcia had labrum surgery and some rotator cuff clean up done August '07. I am not Dr. Andrews but in between healing and rehab work I am guessing that most or all of 2008 is lost to Garcia.

Anyone have a hunch he will end up back with the White Sox for 2009? White Sox certainly wouldn't sign him this offseason and lose any draft picks but I bet they'd take a flier on him if he was a freebie in terms of compensation.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 03:57 PM)
So Freddy Garcia had labrum surgery and some rotator cuff clean up done August '07. I am not Dr. Andrews but in between healing and rehab work I am guessing that most or all of 2008 is lost to Garcia.

Anyone have a hunch he will end up back with the White Sox for 2009? White Sox certainly wouldn't sign him this offseason and lose any draft picks but I bet they'd take a flier on him if he was a freebie in terms of compensation.

Will the Phillies even off him arbitration? I highly doubt it seeing as how anything more than $1M in '08 is too damn much for Garcia and he'd get 10x that in arb. I could definitely see the Sox bringing in Freddy on a 2 year deal worth like $4M guaranteed and include plenty of incentives for both '08 and especially '09.

Will the Phillies even off him arbitration? I highly doubt it seeing as how anything more than $1M in '08 is too damn much for Garcia and he'd get 10x that in arb. I could definitely see the Sox bringing in Freddy on a 2 year deal worth like $4M guaranteed and include plenty of incentives for both '08 and especially '09.

They are going to cut ties with him for sure. Not sure if they even can offer him arbitration but I agree, if they can they won't. Too much financial risk for the Phillies.

Yes I completely agree the White Sox could do a small guarantee with big incentives but I think they'd wait until late in the offseason to do it. They should have a clearer picture on his rehab by January as Freddy will be 5 months in by then.

Yankees do this a lot, they did it with Dotel and in a way they're doing it with their draft pick Brackman albeit under different circumstances.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 03:57 PM)

From personal experience... labrum repair (assuming a smallish tear), and cleanup of any capsular damge... surgery lays you up in a sling and other implements for a week or two, followed by the beginnings of PT that takes about 4 to 6 months to regain full range of motion. But even at 4 months with 90% range, your muscles have weakened a lot. Assuming an intense regimen to get the strength back, AND assuming Garcia's body is capable of putting the same strength back on (not a given), I'd say that's another 4 to 6 months. So that's 8 months to a year.

Yeah, I'd say he's not ready for spring training in any case.