Rogers: Basically, Ozzie is trying to get fired on purpose...

caulfield12

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Interesting theory, I guess.

You can only belabour the lack of production from SS, 2B, LF and CF so much...or the lack of "quality" from the replacement minor leaguers we've used in some of those positions.

It's really difficult for me to see any article about the 2007 season that doesn't make Contreras' slippage (or falling off a cliff, if you prefer that analogy) the #1 item on the agenda.

Even with McCarthy, Garcia, El Duque, Vizcaino, Thomas, Rowand and Chris Young....we're very much a .500 club, maybe 5 games above, or five games below. Somewhat like the Twins, I would guess. And I suppose that would be much better for Sox fans, but we would still probably be roughly an equal distance from contention...assuming that dealing a Vazquez or Garland could get us a comparable player to Young.

You know Rowand wouldn't be putting up the same numbers in the AL, nor would El Duque.

I know that's a HUGE assumption (that KW could find another Young), and requires more faith in KW than many currently have at the present time.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 12:46 AM)
Just blow the whole freaking thing up.

The problem is that holding onto our numerous $10 million plus salary players (so we don't drive off our season ticket base and completely alienate them), partly due to the 2005 season...is holding us back big-time.

Not unlike the patience of KW with the 2001-2002 teams leading to the possibility of a World Series in 2003 (with Valentin, Thomas, Lee, Ordonez)...we're in a much more difficult position than then, because these players are even older...early to mid 30's, not late 20's/early 30's.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 12:46 AM)
Just blow the whole freaking thing up.

We're too proud for that.

Williams is honestly setting himself up to be on the hot seat. What excuse is there next season when he's aggressive, perhaps making a few trades involving what's left of our minor leauge system, and the team still finishes fourth/fifth in the division? He'll have to do quite a lot to turn this team into a playoff contender. I just don't believe it's possible.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 06:01 AM)
We're too proud for that.

Williams is honestly setting himself up to be on the hot seat. What excuse is there next season when he's aggressive, perhaps making a few trades involving what's left of our minor leauge system, and the team still finishes fourth/fifth in the division? He'll have to do quite a lot to turn this team into a playoff contender. I just don't believe it's possible.

Let's hope he's not as scared to have a high pick in the draft as some of the people on this site seem to be. It's far and away the most exciting aspect of our season right now, and I'd guess you'd agree with that 100 pct.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 01:02 AM)
Let's hope he's not as scared to have a high pick in the draft as some of the people on this site seem to be. It's far and away the most exciting aspect of our season right now, and I'd guess you'd agree with that 100 pct.

I'm excited about the possibility of drafting high and selecting a franchise player, but I'm afraid of whether the opportunity will be wasted because of our obendiece to slot recommendations. Or an avoidance of Boras.

I hope it isn't an issue at all. It would be terrible knowing someone such as Alvarez was available, but because he's commanding two million more than we're willing to pay another less talented player is selected.

Alot is Williams fault, as far as the top 5 pick next year Sox will NOT spend top dollar on a big signing bonus and will draft the most signable guy period and cry about financial restraint!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 08:43 AM)
Alot is Williams fault, as far as the pick Sox will NOT spend top dollar and will draft the most signable guy period and cry about financial restraint!

Well, it can't be both ways. First, we have too many expensive players (Konerko, Thome, Dye, Buehrle, Garland, Contreras, Vazquez) and now we're too cheap? I guess we will get on KW for painting us into a corner with the lack of payroll flexibility, and the fact that the contract for Contreras will be almost impossible to get off the books over the next two seasons, barring a miraculous turnaround.

I don't even think that most of the issue with first rounders is KW's doing, it's more of a JR-philosophical thing.

The fact is, there are only about 6-8 teams in MLB that are currently what you would call free spenders...unfortunately, the Tigers are one of them...and the Indians SEEMINGLY are set up for a nice run the next 2-3 seasons as well...Minnesota will always be in the mix with Ryan as GM, and the Royals are looking better and better, not to mention Moustakas COULD be a stud to go along with Gordon.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 09:01 AM)
Well, it can't be both ways. First, we have too many expensive players (Konerko, Thome, Dye, Buehrle, Garland, Contreras, Vazquez) and now we're too cheap? I guess we will get on KW for painting us into a corner with the lack of payroll flexibility, and the fact that the contract for Contreras will be almost impossible to get off the books over the next two seasons, barring a miraculous turnaround.

I don't even think that most of the issue with first rounders is KW's doing, it's more of a JR-philosophical thing.

The fact is, there are only about 6-8 teams in MLB that are currently what you would call free spenders...unfortunately, the Tigers are one of them...and the Indians SEEMINGLY are set up for a nice run the next 2-3 seasons as well...Minnesota will always be in the mix with Ryan as GM, and the Royals are looking better and better, not to mention Moustakas COULD be a stud to go along with Gordon.

I mean cheap as far as paying a big signing bonus next year to a top draft pick in top 5 , I should of been more specific

So many problems, so few options.

Koneerko may have to go.

he's one of the few guys with value.

He's reached a point in his career where his numbers will probably decline.

You can find a stop gap first baseman for a lot less.

Who else can we trade that has value?

AJ? Not unless the Giants take another dumb pill.

Fields?

Our farm system is killing us.

I disagree with the AL Central outlook. I am not sold on the Indians at all. They have some nice pieces but they have holes, they also do not shell out cash. The Tigers are getting as old as the White Sox and although they are spending, I think they will slip a little next year. The White Sox are almost forced into a position that they need to make moves and big one's. I am not sure what that means but minor league pitching for positional players ala the Indians last season will be the M.O. and having pitching in the minors in this day and age is much better than positional players and I think this is the stength that Sox fans miss. The back end of the pen, core rotation and run producers are there, they need to fill in the pieces. Why Thome, Konerko, Buerhle and Garland are still hanging around is beyond me they should be kicking back for next season. Our September rotation should be Floyd, Haegar, Masset, Sisco and one anyone else that needs to be on the 40 man.

You do what has to be done to resurrect this-the hell with financial flexibility. Otherwise I agree, blow the whole thing up

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 08:50 AM)

Koneerko may have to go.

Fields?

Ever since I noticed the names in the 1B department hitting free agency this offseason, I've wanted to trade Konerko. The best FA 1B this offseason is Shea Hillenbrand. Someone would pay a lot for Pauly.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 09:53 AM)
I disagree with the AL Central outlook. I am not sold on the Indians at all. They have some nice pieces but they have holes, they also do not shell out cash. The Tigers are getting as old as the White Sox and although they are spending, I think they will slip a little next year. The White Sox are almost forced into a position that they need to make moves and big one's. I am not sure what that means but minor league pitching for positional players ala the Indians last season will be the M.O. and having pitching in the minors in this day and age is much better than positional players and I think this is the stength that Sox fans miss. The back end of the pen, core rotation and run producers are there, they need to fill in the pieces. Why Thome, Konerko, Buerhle and Garland are still hanging around is beyond me they should be kicking back for next season. Our September rotation should be Floyd, Haegar, Masset, Sisco and one anyone else that needs to be on the 40 man.

The problem is which of our pitchers have any value to other teams?

Gonzalez and De Los Santos would be the highest rated I would guess. Russell? Egbert?

Which leaves Broadway, Floyd, McCullough, Philllips, Haeger, Sisco, Masset.

This is starting to remind me of the LH reliever tryouts going into the 2006 season...sure, we have a LOT of young pitchers. But can any of them actually pitch and be anything more than a fifth starter or long reliever?

Egbert, Philllips and Haeger have so many detractors out there. Floyd is a headcase. McCullough and Broadway just don't have the stuff.

Russell is headed for the bullpen apparently with his secondary pitches not quite crisp enough...probably the same situation with Sisco.

Which leaves Masset, Egbert or Gio Gonzalez? Maybe FDLS if you REALLY push him developmentally.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 10:26 AM)
Ever since I noticed the names in the 1B department hitting free agency this offseason, I've wanted to trade Konerko. The best FA 1B this offseason is Shea Hillenbrand. Someone would pay a lot for Pauly.

And you would move Crede, Fields or Dye to 1B?

Maybe Eddie Pearson or Liefer are still available...

The guy in the Sun-Times today also mentioned the previously unthinkable: Konerko going. He pointed out (HELLO! Thank you, thank you) that PK may lead by example, but he's not a clubhouse "leader" by any stretch of the imagination. No, this was not Mariotti FYI.

He also pointed out that the problem is in no small part due to certain players being fat n' happy from the '05 WS victory (How now brown cow! How now brown cow!).

And after hearing that over and over from very reliable sources, at this point I say: yeah. Blow it up. Blow it all up. This team is beyond embarassing. I care more than they do, and that's unacceptable.

Somebody else in the Sun-Times said this--pause, light fuse:

Fire Ozzie. Hire Tony LaRussa next season.

//dives for cover

Me neither, but there are those out there who think that Ozzie is indeed the whole problem. It's hard for me to say because I'm biased--I like Ozzie, and I was thrilled when they got him.

But you gotta wonder. Houston didn't waste any time saying "See ya" to their manager/GM after only 22 months since the WS.

I'm kinda shocked that a team has become this embarassing yet no branches are being shaken. And the more this misery goes on, like with the Cubs-no-Boston-no-Oakland-no-Seattle-no-Texas, the more I cringe when Kenny Wannestadt gives his latest "All the pieces are in place" speech.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 09:50 AM)

Koneerko may have to go.

Fields?

Which, in part, is why it's infuriating to even think about the possibility of putting a cost to improving our farm system. We should take every advantage of our poor record. If additional funds are necessary to sign players next June, fine; take away from potential FA's.

This is so important for our future, I can't even imagine the outrage on Soxtalk if they blow it.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 10:47 AM)
Which, in part, is why it's infuriating to even think about the possibility of putting a cost to improving our farm system. We should take every advantage of our poor record. If additional funds are necessary to sign players next June, fine; take away from potential FA's.

This is so important for our future, I can't even imagine the outrage on Soxtalk if they blow it.

Our farm system is killing us. But I have zero faith in KW or anyone else in the orginazation in rebuilding it. Even if we get the top pick in next years draft, they will screw it up somehow. They will not deal with any Boras clients because of signabilty. So that means we will sign some kid that will never turn out to be anything special. But he was signable and didn't want a big signing bonus so, that's all that matters.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 08:36 AM)
I'm not sure I could watch Sox games anymore if that sleazy prick LaRussa were running the club. He's the last guy I'd like to see take over for Ozzie.

he is a prick, i'll give you that. But he's a great manager, there's just no two ways about it. I'd love to see him back in a Sox uniform.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 01:31 PM)
he is a prick, i'll give you that. But he's a great manager, there's just no two ways about it. I'd love to see him back in a Sox uniform.

In the last year, He's been caught for DUI and one of his team's players killed himself doing the same thing. That's reason enough for me to not want him running our clubhouse right now.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 03:53 PM)
In the last year, He's been caught for DUI and one of his team's players killed himself doing the same thing. That's reason enough for me to not want him running our clubhouse right now.

And when reporters started asking questions about the circumstances surrounding Hancock's death, LaRussa threatened to beat them with his fungo bat if they dare dig any deeper into the story. It was sickening.