Sox aiming for Eckstein...

EvilJester99

I'll speculate.

Eckstein will be playing 2nd. ARod will be at short.

2b Eckstein

Lf Fields

DH Thome

SS Arod

Rf Dye

1b Konerko

C AJ

3b Crede

Cf Owens

I'm trying to think like KW. Who could the Sox be trying to get that Buehrle would think would be a stretch? KW will try to make big moves. 1. He always does. 2. Doesn't want this pathetic season to erode the season ticket base. 3. KW rumored to be after ARod before.

Eckstein also has a good relationship with the Sox new manager, Tony LaRussa.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
Uribe is much better than Eckstein defensively, and SS is a defensive position.

Well, we're close to the worst offensive team in baseball, we need to do something to improve the offense if we're going to contend next season. Getting Crede back and playing Fields in LF will only do so much, even if we do sign a top flight CF. I think that getting rid of one of the worst offensive regulars in the majors would be pretty helpful.

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 02:39 AM)
Well, we're close to the worst offensive team in baseball, we need to do something to improve the offense if we're going to contend next season. Getting Crede back and playing Fields in LF will only do so much, even if we do sign a top flight CF. I think that getting rid of one of the worst offensive regulars in the majors would be pretty helpful.

Sweet....I can't wait to give up more outs bunting before a 3-4-5 that can hit 110 homers.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 06:54 PM)
I'll speculate.

Eckstein will be playing 2nd. ARod will be at short.

2b Eckstein

Lf Fields

DH Thome

SS Arod

Rf Dye

1b Konerko

C AJ

3b Crede

Cf Owens

I'm trying to think like KW. Who could the Sox be trying to get that Buehrle would think would be a stretch? KW will try to make big moves. 1. He always does. 2. Doesn't want this pathetic season to erode the season ticket base. 3. KW rumored to be after ARod before.

Eckstein also has a good relationship with the Sox new manager, Tony LaRussa.

I'll play along --

IF we're willing to spend over 20 million for Rodriguez, there are going to be quite a few changes within the rotation and lineup. Cheap alternatives need to be scattered around the diamond to offset Rodriguez' salary.

For one, I don't believe we'd sign Eckstein; Richar would be the option. It'd have to be almost necessary for Williams to acquire someone cheap AND talented for LF, because Fields would undoubtedly play 3B.

Contreras and Garland would be gone as well. Likely to be replaced by two of Floyd, Egbert, Gonzalez, Broadway.

Is a lineup of..

FA/Prospect in LF

Owens

Dye

Fields

Rodriguez

Richar

Konerko

Thome

Pierzynski

and rotation of

Buehrle

Danks

Gonzalez

Egbert

Vazquez

capable of reaching the playoffs? Depending upon the LFer, the progression of Richar and Fields, and whatever we receive from Egbert and Gonzalez, it'd atleast be an interesting ballclub. I doubt they'd reach the playoffs, but attention would certaintly be on the ballclub with Rodriguez. You'd just have to ignore Boras as his agent, or the likelihood New York retains him. Which are fairly important items and just about render the enter scenario unlikely.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 08:13 PM)
I'll play along --

IF we're willing to spend over 20 million for Rodriguez, there are going to be quite a few changes within the rotation and lineup. Cheap alternatives need to be scattered around the diamond to offset Rodriguez' salary.

For one, I don't believe we'd sign Eckstein; Richar would be the option. It'd have to be almost necessary for Williams to acquire someone cheap AND talented for LF, because Fields would undoubtedly play 3B.

Contreras and Garland would be gone as well. Likely to be replaced by two of Floyd, Egbert, Gonzalez, Broadway.

Is a lineup of..

FA/Prospect in LF

Owens

Dye

Fields

Rodriguez

Richar

Konerko

Thome

Pierzynski

and rotation of

Buehrle

Danks

Gonzalez

Egbert

Vazquez

capable of reaching the playoffs? Depending upon the LFer, the progression of Richar and Fields, and whatever we receive from Egbert and Gonzalez, it'd atleast be an interesting ballclub. I doubt they'd reach the playoffs, but attention would certaintly be on the ballclub with Rodriguez. You'd just have to ignore Boras as his agent, or the likelihood New York retains him. Which are fairly important items and just about render the enter scenario unlikely.

So, the things I'd say:

1. The key to getting ARod is finding someone to take on Jose's salary. I'm fully convinced Garland will be moved hthis offseason...if we could also move Jose, that covers the salary right there and even saves $5 million by getting rid of Uribe.

2. Don't just pencil in the 2 AA guys yet. I'm fully of the opinion that one of Floyd, Broadway, and Haeger will be in the starting rotation next April after Garland is moved...most likely Floyd IMO, esp. if he can give us one or two more quality starts.

3. Joe Crede will be back next year no matter what, as far as I can tell. So your OF will look like Fields, Owens, Dye. If you have ARod at SS, Dye in RF, Thome at Dh, and Konerko at 1b, then I for one could certainly tolerate Owens and Richar as our 1-2 hitters...esp. if Owens keeps developing (I think he's leading off for us next year anyway.)

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 10:13 PM)
I'll play along --

Is a lineup of..

FA/Prospect in LF

Owens

Dye

Fields

Rodriguez

Richar

Konerko

Thome

Pierzynski

and rotation of

Buehrle

Danks

Gonzalez

Egbert

Vazquez

That's probably not a good team.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 10:55 PM)
IMO, it's a hell of a lot better than you think...but then again, I'm the "Overrating our young guys" person and you're the "our young guys all suck" person.

Actually, I'm going off on the veterans more than the young players, but they won't be too good either.

Signing Eckstein would officially make us the laughing stock of baseball...

Good point. Unofficially we are the laughing stock of baseball right now.

Adding A-Rod to the team actually could vault us back to contention PROVIDED we kept everybody else. Getting rid of others like Paulie, Thome, AJP, Garland, Mark to afford A-Rod would not solve anything.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 04:47 PM)
Like Aramis Ramirez?

If you think he's a tool because he swears....heh, I don't even have a cute thing to say to that.

Did you not read what I wrote? I said it has nothing to do with his swearing. Go back and read what I said.

Chicago White Sox = Baltimore Orioles

This team is not one or two players away from contending. We've got last-place talent in Chicago, and the minors hold very little promise.

We have the fourth-highest payroll in baseball. Don't think failure is the result of not being aggressive in getting high priced veterans; we're not the Twins trying to decide which of our home-grown superstars we can afford to re-sign and which we'll have to let walk. No, our problem is that we've overpaid for players in their decline phase. This is a fact and adding Eckstein, Hunter, or Jones would be going down that same path of failure we've already seen from the Orioles and now the White Sox over the last two years.

What we need is young, cheap talent in our system. What we do not need is more declining veterans with eight-digit pricetags and multi-year demands.

I wouldn't mind Eckstein for 2B actually... he just doesn't have much of an arm to be our everyday SS. I wonder if KW is still going to pursue Tejada this offseason? Get those 2 guys and add Rowand, we would be right back into the thick of things.. the problem is with that, is we wouldn't have barely any speed at all.

Trade Contreras/Garland in a package for Tejada

Sign Eck and A-Row

Eckstein 2B

Rowand CF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

Tejada SS

Crede 3B

Pierzynski C

Fields LF

Thats a lot of POWER! Thats like a Yankee or Red Sox type lineup haha. I know, I know...it wont happen. I wonder what kind of names KW told Buerhle he is going after anyway?

Eckstein 2B

Rowand CF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

Tejada SS

Crede 3B

Pierzynski C

Fields LF

Thats a lot of POWER!

I doubt Crede hits twenty next year. Pierzynski is bound to decline significantly next year, and his power numbers here haven't been particularly helpful, IMO. Tejada isn't a particularly powerful guy anymore, at least as far as HR go. Dye might hit thirty. I doubt Thome hits thirty. Konerko can go anywhere from 30-40. I'm not pencilling Rowand in for a huge number. I doubt Eckstein even hits three. Fields has got good power, but he doesn't necessarily have to keep it up and he wouldn't be the first player with good power numbers to stop hitting for a variety of reasons.

It's just not a lineup that turns me on.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 31, 2007 -> 11:13 PM)
I'll play along --

Is a lineup of..

FA/Prospect in LF

Owens

Dye

Fields

Rodriguez

Richar

Konerko

Thome

Pierzynski

and rotation of

Buehrle

Danks

Gonzalez

Egbert

Vazquez

Well what if traded Garland for a sweet pitching prospect who could step in now? Or maybe KW deals for a stud OF with Garland? If we go with that plan that you have I expect some major prospects being able to step in immediately or very soon

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 09:55 AM)
I doubt Crede hits twenty next year. Pierzynski is bound to decline significantly next year, and his power numbers here haven't been particularly helpful, IMO. Tejada isn't a particularly powerful guy anymore, at least as far as HR go. Dye might hit thirty. I doubt Thome hits thirty. Konerko can go anywhere from 30-40. I'm not pencilling Rowand in for a huge number. I doubt Eckstein even hits three. Fields has got good power, but he doesn't necessarily have to keep it up and he wouldn't be the first player with good power numbers to stop hitting for a variety of reasons.

It's just not a lineup that turns me on.

This is already a pretty good power hitting team and putting someone who can hit for power in LF without losing much power elsewhere probably makes it an even better power hitting team. I think that lineup is much better because everyone looks as though they can flirt with a .330 OBP (maybe not Fields) which means we wouldn't be 29th in baseball in OBP anymore.

I just don't think that we can trade for Tejada while keeping that lineup in tact without gutting the pitching staff. Even if we completely cleaned out the minors (DLS, Egbert, and Gio), I'm not sure it'd be enough to land Tejada. Even if we could acquire Tejada, I don't think we'll have the budget to keep everyone else, add his large salary, and sign ARow for $12+ million a year on top of that.

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)
This is already a pretty good power hitting team and putting someone who can hit for power in LF without losing much power elsewhere probably makes it an even better power hitting team. I think that lineup is much better because everyone looks as though they can flirt with a .330 OBP (maybe not Fields) which means we wouldn't be 29th in baseball in OBP anymore.

I just don't think that we can trade for Tejada while keeping that lineup in tact without gutting the pitching staff. Even if we completely cleaned out the minors (DLS, Egbert, and Gio), I'm not sure it'd be enough to land Tejada. Even if we could acquire Tejada, I don't think we'll have the budget to keep everyone else, add his large salary, and sign ARow for $12+ million a year on top of that.

Where are we in terms of homeruns this year? Where do we rank?

I guess I am ready to see a team like this next year:

1. Eckstein, SS

2. Fields, LF

3. Thome, DH

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Dye, RF

6. Pierzynski, C

7. Crede, 3B

8. Rowand, CF

9. Richar, SS

BENCH: Jerry Owens & Andy Gonzalez - "dynamic bench duo!"; Lucy - C; Pablo Ozuna - INF; Alex Cintron - INF

ROTATION: Buehrle, Vazquez, Garland, Danks, Egbert/Floyd/Gio/Broadway

BULLPEN: Jenks, MacDougal, Thornton, Linebrink, Logan, Broadway/Floyd/Sisco/Aardsma

------

I don't want to see a team like that, but I am prepared to.