Broadway/Phillips Called up too

fathom

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 09:56 AM)
Just thought I would throw this blurb in here about our top "reach" draft pick last year.

Aaron Poreda, LHP, Chicago White Sox (No. 25)

Aaron Poreda tagged his contract offer presented by the White Sox on June 16, and he has been untouchable ever since. A 6-foot-6, 240-pounder who pitches as big as his size, Poreda has posted an equally imposing 48:10 K to BB rate in his 46.1 frames of work. The University of San Francisco product features a blazing arsenal, which has yielded a 0.85 WHIP and .181 BAA. Pair those results with a stunning 68% groundball rate and Aaron Poreda has been just about as dominant a prospect as the 2007 class has produced to date.

Add Gallagher and Miranda to the 2007 draft picks who made very good showings this year too. Seems like we maybe got a few winners this time around.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 10:01 AM)
Add Gallagher and Miranda to the 2007 draft picks who made very good showings this year too. Seems like we maybe got a few winners this time around.

If the guy's name was Salvador Sanchez and he hailed from the Dominican Republic, people on here would be calling him Liriano 2.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 09:54 AM)
Have we figured out why the hell the Sox haven't called up Jason Bourgeois yet? I mean, I know we'd have to clear a player off the 40 man like the all-important Heath Phillips or -- even better -- Paulino Reynoso (who, for some reason, gets protected year after year after year for no apparent reason -- good thing we protected him instead of Fabio Castro!). It would be so like the Sox to go old, expensive and crappy on the bench with Ozuna and Cintron instead of going with the two (clearly) better, cheaper and younger options in Gonzalez and Bourgeois.

Also -- why aren't we seeing Oneli Perez? One would have to figure that now is the perfect time to break Oneli into the bigs. As of right now, I'd say there are three spots locked up (Jenks, Logan, Wassermann) with two more 'probable' locks (MacDougal and Thorton). Shouldn't September be an extended tryout for guys like Aardsma, Perez and Vasquez? Oh right, Broadway and Heath f***ing Phillips...

I tend to agree on Reynoso. He just gets worse each year - seems like a waste of space on the 40-man. Put him through the wire, and add Bourgeois or O Perez, at this point.

But I have said before, I think its obvious why Broadway and Phillips are here - they are getting shown off for use as trade bait. Some of the Sox' pitching prospects are good enough to not need that to be valuable - those two are marginal in value, but if they did OK in a few outings in the bigs, they may have some trade value. Guys like Egbert and Gio have value without it, and Haeger and Masset have already been up and pitched.

And I wouldn't call Ozuna crappy, for a bench player.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 10:24 AM)
I really can't understand why Cintron is still with the organization.

Well, to be quite fair, I've been saying the same thing about Erstad since about March, but stopped saying it because I figured people were getting tired of it.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 09:05 AM)
If Sweeney is indeed still healing, or if recalling him would somehow screw up his arb clock, then I can understand those reasons. I just didn't see indications that either was the case. Thanks for the info.

Sweeney shouldn't be up. Maybe not getting called up can motivate him to make himself better than a guy who can only hit for a .750 OPS in the minors whilst not having great speed, power, or play an elite defensive position.

Just to follow up on this situation.

Sweeney will play in the Arizona Fall League, which is no surprise. People who were clamoring for him to be recalled, again, there was a reason. He is being given some time off to get healthy and going to the Arizona Fall League will be good for him.

Also, Sisco is being given some time off and will play winter ball in Mexico as will Brian Anderson.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 07:39 AM)

Sweeney will play in the Arizona Fall League, which is no surprise. People who were clamoring for him to be recalled, again, there was a reason. He is being given some time off to get healthy and going to the Arizona Fall League will be good for him.

Also, Sisco is being given some time off and will play winter ball in Mexico as will Brian Anderson.

Are they sending Sisco down there as a starter again?

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 07:39 AM)

That makes sense. Glad to see Sweeney in the AFL. So that's 6 guys playing in AFL, and at least those 2 in Mexico. Do you know of any others playing in any other leagues?

Are they sending Sisco down there as a starter again?

Southsider2k5, they definitely want Sisco to start and he does have an option left so they are going to devote their resources into helping him become the best starter he can. What I heard, which should not be a surprise to anyone on this site who has followed Sisco, is they feel his mechanics can be better handled as a starter.

It is probably what they should have done this year, have him start in Charlotte, but hindsight is 20/20.

These winter ball assignments were in the Tribune today, and also they are sending Andy Gonzalez somewhere this winter but that is old news.

Their immediate concern is Masset. Here is a guy they scouted a great deal and definitely has a good arm but he fell far short of expectations. It happens, but Masset is out of options so time is of the essence. As for Aardsma, plenty of teams will take a chance on him and I believe he will be traded. He is more "fragile" than they'd like.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 09:13 AM)
Massett seems like he's another Gavin Floyd (a headcase), or am I reading into that wrong?

At least from what I saw, I think Floyd at least comes up there with better stuff. If Masset was throwing mid 90's as advertised, I'd change that, but they're roughly the same on velocity and Floyd seemed to have much better off speed stuff.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 04:15 PM)
At least from what I saw, I think Floyd at least comes up there with better stuff. If Masset was throwing mid 90's as advertised, I'd change that, but they're roughly the same on velocity and Floyd seemed to have much better off speed stuff.

Wow, then I think I've been incorrect on my interpretations of Massett. Interesting.

Neither of them is very good and they both are half the pitcher they were advertised as.

You know, I was thinking about this recently. Does KW think White Sox fans are stupid? Or are his scouts stupid? Was he lying to us or just misinformed about Gavin Floyd being one of the top prospects in the game/being so electric? How about Masset? And it's not necessarily a "personal" thing with Floyd as I definitely think Masset represents it, but I just want to know if we were lied to deliberately or not.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 11:20 AM)
THE ENTIRE WORLD IS CONSPIRACY! SPORTS, POLITICS, FAMILY, EVERYTHING!

/carry on.

:D

yeah, I'm not amused. I know you're trying to be funny, but no, especially since I'm not a conspiracy theorist. There are serious questions about our scouts that need to be answered. Was whoever it was that told KW Brian Anderson would be suitable as a replacement for Rowand/Young fired? Are they still advising him? Did KW KNOW that Masset wasn't "a tick" beneath Jenks and that Floyd's fastball loses x MPH in the stretch? That he has no control? It's all very disturbing stuff. Do we need new radar guns? Is that the problem? Why do all our pitchers lose velocity after a year or two here? What does Cooper get paid for? What is Kenny seeing and hearing from the scouts?

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 04:22 PM)
yeah, I'm not amused. I know you're trying to be funny, but no, especially since I'm not a conspiracy theorist. There are serious questions about our scouts that need to be answered. Was whoever it was that told KW Brian Anderson would be suitable as a replacement for Rowand/Young fired? Are they still advising him? Did KW KNOW that Masset wasn't "a tick" beneath Jenks and that Floyd's fastball loses x MPH in the stretch? That he has no control? It's all very disturbing stuff. Do we need new radar guns? Is that the problem? Why do all our pitchers lose velocity after a year or two here? What does Cooper get paid for? What is Kenny seeing and hearing from the scouts?

GP, it's a little over the top to say "how many ways have we been LIED to"... and that starts getting into the conspiracy stuff. And frankly, it gets beyond old. It's so kewl to sit here and rag on this team, because frankly, they suck. But to sit there and say that they are deliberately trying to hide crap from the fans, media, etc. is juuuuust a little misguided, to put it nicely. They were wrong on some things. Fine. But I certainly don't think it was "delibrate".

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
GP, it's a little over the top to say "how many ways have we been LIED to"... and that starts getting into the conspiracy stuff. And frankly, it gets beyond old. It's so kewl to sit here and rag on this team, because frankly, they suck. But to sit there and say that they are deliberately trying to hide crap from the fans, media, etc. is juuuuust a little misguided, to put it nicely. They were wrong on some things. Fine. But I certainly don't think it was "delibrate".

I didn't say it was. I asked, Was it? Or are we that bad at scouting?

Neither answer is pretty!

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 10:44 AM)
Southsider2k5, they definitely want Sisco to start and he does have an option left so they are going to devote their resources into helping him become the best starter he can. What I heard, which should not be a surprise to anyone on this site who has followed Sisco, is they feel his mechanics can be better handled as a starter.

It is probably what they should have done this year, have him start in Charlotte, but hindsight is 20/20.

These winter ball assignments were in the Tribune today, and also they are sending Andy Gonzalez somewhere this winter but that is old news.

Their immediate concern is Masset. Here is a guy they scouted a great deal and definitely has a good arm but he fell far short of expectations. It happens, but Masset is out of options so time is of the essence. As for Aardsma, plenty of teams will take a chance on him and I believe he will be traded. He is more "fragile" than they'd like.

Glad to hear that about Sisco. I was really verbal in hoping that they wouldn't break camp with Andy on the big team and that they would send him to Charlotte as a starter. I know he had been in the bigs a while, but he still has a lot of developing to do. As big as he is, and as funky as that delivery is, he is not going to be a guy who becomes consistant very quickly. He needs innings and reps, plus a pitching coach attached to his hip. I really believe he has the highest ceiling of anyone in our organization, but he might also have the shortest time to get there, and the longest way to go. Heck looking at a guy like Randy Johnson as a guy who had a similar build and arm angle, he didn't make his ML debut until he was 25, Andy Sisco still isn't 25 years old, and he already has two and a half years of ML service time.

I think Massett falls into the same category as Sisco. He needs his innings, he needs time to develop.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)

Massett also has more problems repeating his delivery at this point. He still walks too many guys. Floyd just throws scared way too often.