Broadway/Phillips Called up too

fathom

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 11:19 AM)
Neither of them is very good and they both are half the pitcher they were advertised as.

You know, I was thinking about this recently. Does KW think White Sox fans are stupid? Or are his scouts stupid? Was he lying us or just misinformed about Gavin Floyd being one of the top prospects in the game/being so electric? How about Masset? And it's not necessarily a "personal" thing with Floyd as I definitely think Masset represents it, but I just want to know if we were lied to deliberately or not.

We really need a "Tin Foil Hat" Club.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 11:19 AM)
Neither of them is very good and they both are half the pitcher they were advertised as.

I agree on Masset. But on Floyd, I think he is precisely as advertised. Plenty of talent and tools, but very inconsistent and a bit of a head case. High potential, but also a high risk of failure. In any case, getting him and Gio for Freddy was certainly worth it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 01:31 PM)
We really need a "Tin Foil Hat" Club.

There is nothing tinfoilish about it. It's very sarcastic but it's still a genuine question. Does he think we're stupid or are his scouts operating with broken radar guns? That offseason with Floyd/Masset = ridiculous talk about their stuff. Was it just bulls*** to make trades seem better or are our scouts that bad? It's a fair Q.

The Sox are behind the 8 ball now with these three pitchers they traded for, Aardsma and Floyd and Masset.

With 2007 being their last option year, it was a gamble they'd establish themselves as major leaguers and that did not happen.

Now they have to either hope the light has turned on for these guys, or that another team thinks they can get the lights to turn on. How much, though, are teams going to give up in trade for guys who are out of options in 2008 and havent established themselves yet. Not much.

I just cannot see them carrying all three of these guys in 2008 and carrying two might be a stretch. They are a bit backed into a corner. Add Phil Rogers buddy Heath Phillips to the list also.

My take is, they try to peddle one or more of these guys to teams that can carry them, maybe Pittsburgh or one of the other weaker NL teams.

Broadway debut, as seen from mlb.com gameday:

Broadway to Buscher:

92 fastball, called strike

92 fastball, ball

81 changeup, groundout to picher

Broadway to Heintz:

92 fastball, ball

93 fastball, called strike

85 changeup, ball

94 fastball, called strike

85 changeup, foul tip, (strikeout)

Was adrenaline for his first appearance a factor in his velocity? I'd say yes, based on what I've seen of him in his Charlotte starts I've watched, but still not bad.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 10:15 PM)
Broadway debut, as seen from mlb.com gameday:

Was adrenaline for his first appearance a factor in his velocity? I'd say yes, based on what I've seen of him in his Charlotte starts I've watched, but still not bad.

BTW, two of those "changeups" (the first and third) were curveballs.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 10:42 PM)
He was 2nd in AAA in walks.

And the man you predicted would be so awesome for us, David Aardsma, ended up with 17 saves for the mighty Knights. What's your point? It's triple a stats, they aren't exactly gospel.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 10:45 PM)
And the man you predicted would be so awesome for us, David Aardsma, ended up with 17 saves for the mighty Knights. What's your point? It's triple a stats, they aren't exactly gospel.

If AAA stats aren't gospel, why should I even care about him retiring Brian Bucher and Chris Heintz? Couldn't he have done that in Charlotte?