Kanye West pulls race card out his ass again

juddling

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 04:29 PM)
As alluded to earlier in the thread, Kanye's got a pretty solid lead going. I will be shocked if 50 lives up to his word, if this remains the case.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/K/KAN...N=ENTERTAINMENT

He wont. He has an album due out about this time next year called Before I Self Destruct

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 04:34 PM)
But you will be very hard pressed to find people that are ACTUALLY immersed in the hip hop world to say that Kanye is the better rapper.

I've been a hardcore hip hop fan since 82/83 and I think Kanye is a much better rapper.

You should check out some samples of some early Pink Floyd and see if that gives a good representation of the actual track

Did you just seriously equate 50 Cent to Pink Floyd?

Cause there's a hell of a lot more innovation that went even into the most boring of Pink Floyd's work (read: The Division Bell) than ever went in 50 Cent's hip-pop.

Pink Floyd created to make music. 50 created to make money. Although both efforts might be fun to listen to, there is a huge difference between what each person did on a basic motivational level.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 04:40 PM)
Did you just seriously equate 50 Cent to Pink Floyd?

Cause there's a hell of a lot more innovation that went even into the most boring of Pink Floyd's work (read: The Division Bell) than ever went in 50 Cent's hip-pop.

Pink Floyd created to make music. 50 created to make money. Although both efforts might be fun to listen to, there is a huge difference between what each person did on a basic motivational level.

No, I was comparing samples vs whole tracks. Nice effort to try and discredit my post

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
And the Curtis review from the same website.

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/reviews/50-cent/curtis.htm

Its not as radio friendly, nor does it have the huge mainstream hit "Stronger." But I think its still good. Im sorry that people disagree with me. Some people on here probably say that kanye's albums have ALL been better than 50's. Of course there are 15 million people who disagree with that.

I could be biased as well. I also think G Units record was one of the best I own. FWIW I also love Talib, mos Def, Em, Sugar Hill, among others, so im not strickly a one artist.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)
Its not as radio friendly, nor does it have the huge mainstream hit "Stronger." But I think its still good. Im sorry that people disagree with me. Some people on here probably say that kanye's albums have ALL been better than 50's. Of course there are 15 million people who disagree with that.

I didn't realize selling millions of records equated to quality music. I guess I should go purchase the Brittany Spears boxed set.

No, I was comparing samples vs whole tracks. Nice effort to try and discredit my post

What were you talking about "early" pink floyd? The samples of the songs don't start at the beginning of the song. Listen to the samples at amazon.com and tell me what's different from when you actually listen to the full song. If it has a good melody, I'll give it a chance.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
Really now? Thats pretty funny. Kanye made most of his traction as a producer, because frankly, his flow isnt as good as other rappers.

On top of that, 50's first album sold 3 times as much as Kanye's His second album, more than 3 times that of Kanye. Kanye is a good artist for people who shy away from the brashness of an artist like 50 cent, and is brilliant in his own way. But you will be very hard pressed to find people that are ACTUALLY immersed in the hip hop world to say that Kanye is the better rapper. He is def the better producer, but that tracks are better when someone like Jay-Z does the track.

as far as flow, fifty edges kanye pretty hard. But as far as lyrics, Personally, i don't have a problem when lil wayne and kanye have heavy word play like apologin, i think its fun and no different than slang. BUt as far as what 50 raps about, he's boring. He's all bravado, he's not more hardcore, or anything like that, he just has nothing to say, anymore. I think someone was right when they say "got rich and stopped trying" i think he's relying on past performance too much. Kanye raps introspectively and has funny lines, and talks about family and life, which is obviously because he doesn't come from the projects or anything. But to me that's what makes kanye a better rapper than fifty, he has something to say. Jay had something to say. Clipse had something to say, which makes talking of pushin blow accessible to me, because it's just the aesthetic of the story, not the deep meaning. Kanye taking the lead for having the mainstream single is f***in right on, but its funny, because its FIDDY whose supposed to have the singles. Amusement park failed hardcore, his only single dragging weight this summer was Ayo technology, which is basically buying a hit, asking JT and Timbaland to produce. Just my 2¢

Music is interpreted so many different ways by so many different people. Rock isnt wrong for thinking Kanye's album isnt as good as 50 cent's album, he just has different taste. It isnt fair for people to be telling him he is wrong for thinking that way, it is all in the interpretation and appreciation of the music presented.

On that note, all 80's Glam-rock sucks ;)

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 08:01 PM)
Music is interpreted so many different ways by so many different people. Rock isnt wrong for thinking Kanye's album isnt as good as 50 cent's album, he just has different taste. It isnt fair for people to be telling him he is wrong for thinking that way, it is all in the interpretation and appreciation of the music presented.

On that note, all 80's Glam-rock sucks ;)

Would it matter if I said my favorite band is Heart?

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 08:36 PM)
as far as flow, fifty edges kanye pretty hard. But as far as lyrics, Personally, i don't have a problem when lil wayne and kanye have heavy word play like apologin, i think its fun and no different than slang. BUt as far as what 50 raps about, he's boring. He's all bravado, he's not more hardcore, or anything like that, he just has nothing to say, anymore. I think someone was right when they say "got rich and stopped trying" i think he's relying on past performance too much. Kanye raps introspectively and has funny lines, and talks about family and life, which is obviously because he doesn't come from the projects or anything. But to me that's what makes kanye a better rapper than fifty, he has something to say. Jay had something to say. Clipse had something to say, which makes talking of pushin blow accessible to me, because it's just the aesthetic of the story, not the deep meaning. Kanye taking the lead for having the mainstream single is f***in right on, but its funny, because its FIDDY whose supposed to have the singles. Amusement park failed hardcore, his only single dragging weight this summer was Ayo technology, which is basically buying a hit, asking JT and Timbaland to produce. Just my 2¢

Fifty's also become exactly what he was knocking when he became mainstream--the Rap/R&B stuff. His music is no different than the stuff he jumped all over Ja Rule, etc. for.

I don't want to compare these dudes anymore and ima just say my 2 cents so I can get this off my chest. I can't believe anyone can call 50's music "Hip-Hop." It isn't Hip-Hop at all (hell, Common, Rakim, Chamillionare, etc... said it best, Hip-Hop is dead.) Kayne is one of the few people still out there who doesn't talk about b****es, money, guns, etc... etc... etc....

He has more to offer than just a catchy beat that little kids can dance to. Kanye is hip-hop and 50 is a sell-out who has nothing better to talk about than the money that he has. (not to mention his album "Curtis" was an imfamous diss to his name from Cam'ron) If you’re a true hip-hop fan you know Kanye is WAY better when it comes to making music. Now I'll say this, buisness wise, 50 is ALOT more clever/genius. 50 has his club bangers, but no talent outside of nice beats and good hooks. Kanye is an ill producer. But other than that, he does have his flaws (sampling beats, Rhymefest writing some of his songs, etc..)

It’s a repetitive album. IMO, I can listen to “Graduation” from start to finish, (I will get the album this weekend) and then I can see myself listening to it again. I can’t with “Curtis” cuz there’s no substance under the surface. (I've already listened to 50's album and after 2 songs I couldn't stand it) I don’t have an idea who will win the little "sell battle", because 50 has massive popularity to back him up, and kanye has a truer talent and something to really rap about. The only thing I want to get off is Hip-Hop is still there but fading.

Just my 2 cents.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 04:35 PM)
He wont. He has an album due out about this time next year called Before I Self Destruct

IIRC, it'll be a greatest hits of sorts.

The one thing I'll give 50 is that he knows how to make an album, and knows how to make singles. Thats why i'll always respect 50's hustle.

Another news tidbit on Kanye:

In other West news, the Chicago star, who had a bit of a tantrum after the MTV Video Music Awards this week, will make an appearance at the Emmys on Sunday. West, who hopefully won't be upset about not getting an Emmy because he is not nominated for one, will perform a musical number, the Emmys people have confirmed, according to E! Online. "The Office" co-star Rainn Wilson will perform with West, E! said.

But you will be very hard pressed to find people that are ACTUALLY immersed in the hip hop world to say that Kanye is the better rapper.

False.

Even the 106 and park crowd in new york was chanting Kanye's name when both him and 50 cent were on the set sitting together.

And 50 uses the same argument of his first 2 albums having sold more than Kanye's, but he should know that it's "what have you done for me lately."

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
False.

Even the 106 and park crowd in new york was chanting Kanye's name when both him and 50 cent were on the set sitting together.

And 50 uses the same argument of his first 2 albums having sold more than Kanye's, but he should know that it's "what have you done for me lately."

i think your talking about songs though, we're talking about technique.