The CTA Doomsday Plan

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 10:01 AM)
Saying he will "re-commit" resources is no better than saying keep the status quo.

I know, but you have to figure whoever is actually responding to policy emails for the campaign is going to take their material from their issues page as a start for anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Blago has called the Illinois General Assembly into special session again this time for the transit blockage. He did actually make a new suggestion, that I like in a vacuum sort of way - that gas taxes should be redirected to transit. The question is... what then to cut? Because I am sure that money was going to something else before. So as usual, Blago comes up with just enough of part of a plan to sound like the underpants gnomes from South Park, then tells the General Assembly to magically make that change without interrupting other funding or creating new taxes. He has no suggestions of what to cut, if that's what he wants.

And around and around we go...

Step 1... Collect underpants!

Step 2... ... *pause*

Step 3... Profit!

• 2 weeks later...

Update, as interpereted by me...

Blago: Yo Assembly, pass a transit bill

Madigan: OK, here you go, a transit bill

Blago: Hell no. No new taxes.

Madigan: OK... what do you suggest?

Blago: Put the gas tax all-in towards transit

Madigan: Sounds good. We can get that through committee. But what about the part of that money that had been paying for downstate roads projects?

Blago: Don't worry about that now, just pass the transit bill.

Madigan: OK, but the full House is downstate-heavy and won't pass it...

*bill passes house assembly

Assembly: f*** you.

*bill fails in Assembly

Madigan: Told you.

Blago: You all suck.

If you'd like a more detailed description, see this article.

Dumbasses.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
Why does this state's government seem like its run by jnior college drop-outs?

Because any time any politician tells the truth about taxes in any state, (CA certainly included) they get thrown out of office. The truth like, "You can't just make money appear out of thin air" or "if you guys want these things done someone is going to have to pay for it." It's far more fun to get elected, cut taxes by $4 billion a year, then take out a $15 billion bond issue to balance the budget (And take out another bond issue of course when you realize you're in the hole for another $7 billion a year in bills from the tax cut and the $3 billion a year you're paying on the bond issue). Of course, I just conflated 2 states, but as far as I'm concerned its the same problem.

• 1 month later...

Dubya is in town today. Among his stops are meetings with Daley, and with the leaders of the effort to get the 2016 Olympics. If you read the Trib, it seems clear that when Bush asks the magic question ("What can we do to help?"), Daley's response will be "we need mass transit funding". He is also touting No Child Left Behind while in town.

So after a dozen or more different proposals were put to the Governor's desk to fund mass transit, but officially and in negotiations... and after he rejected nearly every one of them because he refused to budge on them... and just as the State Congress finally passes a transit bill... Blago announces a plan to allow senior citizens to ride for free.

So let me get this straight. Mass Transit continues to languish and fall apart because you won't sign a transit bill because they cost too much, and you want to add a program that would take tens of millions of dollars OUT of the system?

Worst. Governor. Ever.

Has there ever been a serious proposal to privatize mass transit? Daley seems to like to sell off city assets, maybe he can work with the state and just sell them mass transit. While there may be examples of good goverment management in action, the CTA sure isn't it.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 07:17 PM)
Has there ever been a serious proposal to privatize mass transit? Daley seems to like to sell off city assets, maybe he can work with the state and just sell them mass transit. While there may be examples of good goverment management in action, the CTA sure isn't it.

Well, the one problem with that idea is competition. Specifically, it's competition for riders against a heavily, heavily subsidized industry; driving. If the government is picking up the cost of the roads, while a mass transit organization has to lay the tracks and buy all the trains to run their system, then most people are going to wind up choosing the driving route because that is cheaper to them due to the cost required to get a mass transit system working

That said...a lot of mass transit systems in this country are getting themselves into sort of a political death spiral, where their budget gets cut, the quality of the system drops significantly (where's our TGV?), the low quality drives away potential passengers, and the lack of passengers encourages the governments to cut their budgets further and put the money into roads. If someone had a valid business plan to turn one of these programs around, I'd listen.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 10:17 PM)

NYC Public Transit was mostly private up until the mid 50's. Both private companies running their subway systems failed and got bailed out by the city.

The South Shore used to be a purely private entity. If I recall, it came within 24 hours of shutting down in the 1980s.

Metra was a conglomeration of commuter railroads. They all failed.

The private ferry commuter system in New York City area needs bailout after bailout. And a few routes have been taken over by area governments I believe.

Because these efforts fill a definite public need, there is a need for support from the governments who are supposed to provide for them.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)
NYC Public Transit was mostly private up until the mid 50's. Both private companies running their subway systems failed and got bailed out by the city.

The South Shore used to be a purely private entity. If I recall, it came within 24 hours of shutting down in the 1980s.

Metra was a conglomeration of commuter railroads. They all failed.

The private ferry commuter system in New York City area needs bailout after bailout. And a few routes have been taken over by area governments I believe.

Because these efforts fill a definite public need, there is a need for support from the governments who are supposed to provide for them.

I know the South Shore is about 50% government funded. They would have to run at about 150% capacity just to break even.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 09:58 AM)
I know the South Shore is about 50% government funded. They would have to run at about 150% capacity just to break even.

Most transit systems are heavily government funded, at least for capital improvement. Some (like Metra) make enough in fares to cover operating costs. Which to me, is the fair bargain. Why, you might ask? Compare that to the bargain that roads get. There are very few toll roads in this country. I'd bet 95% of the cost of roads is supported by government funding, with the other 5% being private funding or tolls/fees. This always sort of bothered me about the discussion of funding for mass transit - people get in a fit about funding transit at 50%, but they don't say a word about funding 95% of the roads, and at a much higher gross cost level.

If we are to be serious about cutting energy use and pollution, not to mention just better dealing with an increasing population and reducing traffic deaths and traffic in general... then mass transit needs a better deal. More funding for it, not just in improvements but in upkeep, and meanwhile, more use-base taxes and fees on the roads. Gas taxes are sort of like a use tax, and that is good - but I don't think they cover more than a fraction of the total work on roads that goes on.