Daily Herald / Scot Gregor Article

29andPoplar

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 04:08 PM)
The White Sox won't blow anyone out of the water for Alex Rodriguez and he probably won't be coming here. That's about the long and short of it.

We could afford him....If we traded Countreras and Konerko.

What if we unload Konerko for either a CF'er or a SS? Maybe even some prospects, he has alot of value. Would the team improve with AROD+a young SS or CF'er? I think it might.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 08:15 PM)
I wouldn't even say Santana. For most teams, $30M is at least a third of their payroll if not more. For this team, probably just under a third. Having one player be 30%+ of your payroll is inviting disaster - like putting your retirement funds in a single, volatile stock. So unless you have a $200M payroll, I don't think ANY player is worth $30M.

It's all relative - a player costing $30 million in salary can bring in let's say $50 million in revenue from shirts and what not...

Michael Jordan was well worth the $30 million he got one year, and that was way back when. I'm sure he blew out $50 million in returned revenue.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 08:43 PM)
Thats fine, but you have to look at from the view of Alex, not the White Sox.

Why would Rodriguez want to come to the White Sox? Alex has been slammed repeatedly in the media for not being a winner, and not being able to take the pressures of high intensity situations. How would the image of A-Rod look if he left NY, and signed with a last place team? The fans, and more importantly, the media, would never let him live it down. On top of it, if NY were to win the series this year, why would Rodriguez leave? He would be loved in NY, and I have to believe at that point George would pay just about anything to keep him around.

With the ego A-Rod seems to have(not a bad thing) I just can't see him ducking out of NY to sign with a last place team.

The Chicago media would let him live it down, and that's not a small market. Who cares what the NY media paints him as? He'd be an instant star player in Chicago, and even though you claimed he'd be knocked for it, it be great to play with less pressure and have more fun. That doesn't translate to losing, you can just play more relaxed. The Cell is a perfect place for him to hit his 4,326 homerun in. A last place team, but still a team that can contend with some moves, one he could be a real huge part of. Can't discount from a players view that the Sox still won a WS in recent memory. Despite Ozzie's comments about AROD a year or two ago, he's still a manager players like playing for. I think he too would like his environment. Also, I don't think the Chicago media will tail his every move and take pictures of him taking other women out.

And last but not least, the Yanks have been quite clear that if he opts out that he is done with them. Keep in mind, if he were to opt out, Texas would no longer owe the portion they agreed to pay to the Yanks.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 11:02 PM)
We could afford him....If we traded Countreras and Konerko.

What if we unload Konerko for either a CF'er or a SS? Maybe even some prospects, he has alot of value. Would the team improve with AROD+a young SS or CF'er? I think it might.

I think they can afford it without trading PK.

Can anyone name 1 thing the Sox can offer that the Cubs can not?

Toilets that flush and a DH.

EDIT: THought you were talking about what they can offer the fans.

I guess the Sox could offer A-Rod the third base position if he still wanted to play there.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 07:10 PM)
Toilets that flush and a DH.

EDIT: THought you were talking about what they can offer the fans.

I guess the Sox could offer A-Rod the third base position if he still wanted to play there.

Yes, unless the Cubs are sold I doubt that they will make that the current management will offer A-Rod that big of a contract. I really believe A-Rod would rather deal with the environment at U.S. Cellular.

I'm sure ARod would take no heat if he chose to sign with one of the 3 worst teams in baseball. Does anyone actually think JR would outspend owners like Moreno or the new Cubs owner for ARod, while dealing with Boras? The sad thing is there's so many other holes with the Sox, signing ARod might get us into a battle for 3rd place in the division.

Iguchi .... good.

Danny Richar ... so far, bad.

OK now post how great Richar is with his .200 batting average and how dare I criticize somebody so young.

Yes, I realize he's young. Yes I truly hope he becomes a good player.

Iguchi is much better right now and I'd bet probably will be for four more seasons.

Again, bless you Danny Richar and I hope you make it. You've had some nice hits, just not enough to get over .200.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
Point being?

Duh, you can so predict a players worth in less than 300ABs. If they havent hit .350 and hit 12 dongs in 150AB, they are junk. I love how he can project the 37 year old gooch as well at the end of his 4 years.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
Duh, you can so predict a players worth in less than 300ABs. If they havent hit .350 and hit 12 dongs in 150AB, they are junk. I love how he can project the 37 year old gooch as well at the end of his 4 years.

But even beyond that, at this point in their careers Iguchi is a better player than Richar, how much better is of course a matter of opinion but I think we can agree that Iguchi is better. So what is the point? Iguchi is better, what does that have to do with anything? Who cares?