Daily Herald / Scot Gregor Article

29andPoplar

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 10:08 PM)
But even beyond that, at this point in their careers Iguchi is a better player than Richar, how much better is of course a matter of opinion but I think we can agree that Iguchi is better. So what is the point? Iguchi is better, what does that have to do with anything? Who cares?

Oh I agree. But its the typical, former whitesox love. Can we just bring back player X. If we bring back player X we will be so much better, new player Y isnt as good as player X was.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 15, 2007 -> 11:31 AM)
Iguchi .... good.

Danny Richar ... so far, bad.

OK now post how great Richar is with his .200 batting average and how dare I criticize somebody so young.

Yes, I realize he's young. Yes I truly hope he becomes a good player.

Iguchi is much better right now and I'd bet probably will be for four more seasons.

Again, bless you Danny Richar and I hope you make it. You've had some nice hits, just not enough to get over .200.

4 more seasons?

But aren't young players meant to improve and older players decrease in worth as they get older?

That's like comparing Josh Fields and I don't know some 33 year old third baseman who has a better batting average? Will Fields still be a subpar player for another 4 seasons compared to this guy?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 15, 2007 -> 01:28 AM)
4 more seasons?

But aren't young players meant to improve and older players decrease in worth as they get older?

That's like comparing Josh Fields and I don't know some 33 year old third baseman who has a better batting average? Will Fields still be a subpar player for another 4 seasons compared to this guy?

Fields played a fine game last night, both at the bat and in left. I was very impressed with his throw to nail Vlad, another time he ran down a liner I'm sure Pods would not have reached. He was into the game at the plate, he actually got a bunt down. I think he looks much better in LF than he did at 3B.

Richar missed at least 3 plays. Two balls he didn't get to and one he didn't charge, almost getting Contreras run over. His bat may improve but the kid has not shown me he can play 2B in the majors.

Owens didn't cover as much ground as I've seen him in the past and showed me his weak arm isn't getting better. A player with his limited offense had better get a lot better in the field to stick with a big club.

Gonzalez made one good play and no mistakes on his other ones. Although he got a hit against Colon, Bootcheck made him look like a rookie league batter.

Among the kids, Fields is the only long term major leaguer in my eyes.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Sep 15, 2007 -> 06:51 AM)
Fields played a fine game last night, both at the bat and in left. I was very impressed with his throw to nail Vlad, another time he ran down a liner I'm sure Pods would not have reached. He was into the game at the plate, he actually got a bunt down. I think he looks much better in LF than he did at 3B.

Richar missed at least 3 plays. Two balls he didn't get to and one he didn't charge, almost getting Contreras run over. His bat may improve but the kid has not shown me he can play 2B in the majors.

Owens didn't cover as much ground as I've seen him in the past and showed me his weak arm isn't getting better. A player with his limited offense had better get a lot better in the field to stick with a big club.

Gonzalez made one good play and no mistakes on his other ones. Although he got a hit against Colon, Bootcheck made him look like a rookie league batter.

Among the kids, Fields is the only long term major leaguer in my eyes.

I was sitting behind the White Sox on deck circle last night. Fields did make the plays in LF, but he's shaky at best out there. Too bad they didn't start this earlier. I do think he's playing winter ball, so maybe he can get to adequate. One thing I did notice about him,when he's on deck and swinging, he does have a very short stroke. If he could ever take that stroke with him to the batter's box, his strikeouts would go down and his hit total would go up. That transition is easier said than done however.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 15, 2007 -> 01:28 AM)
Will Fields still be a subpar player for another 4 seasons compared to this guy?

I'm not interested in the next 4 seasons or what is a sensible baseball move by a GM. I'm interested in overreacting to any miscues in the field and bad at bats TODAY when the games don't count. But particularly, I'm interested in complaining, in hearing and seeing my complaints, and having others hear and see them as well.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 09:09 PM)
Oh I agree. But its the typical, former whitesox love.
Actually, it seems to me that many if not most Sox fans on message boards villify former Sox players, and applaud Kenny for getting rid of them. In the last four years I've liked a lot of his moves, and disliked some others. If Richar turns out to be a dud, and Iguchi thrives elsewhere for a few more years, the Sox have another big hole (actually crater) to fill. I already stated that I listed Richar as my favorite "prospect", but now despite the "small sample", I really don't expect much from him. For significant parts of this year Dye, Konerko, Pierzynski, Thome and yes Iguchi all struggled. You may add the injured Crede to that list. It looks to me, that as of the moment we have no better alternatives to any of those players, and to me that means trouble. It should be OK to argue the merits and demerits of cutting Iguchi loose. Especially now.