Terry Ryan out of Minny

RockRaines

QUOTE(OfficerKarkovice @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)
Nothing against Terry Ryan because he has been a great GM for the Twins but...

KW would have been absolutely KILLED on this board if his biggest moves in the last two years were adding Tony Batista, Rondell White, Sidney Ponson and Ramon Ortiz.

Ryan was slaughted for making those moves except for Ortiz on most of the Twins blogs (Some thought Ortiz was an OK signing, not much money for maybe a servaceable player)

from the press conference, Ryan sounded like he was burned out on administrative stuff. So he is going to be a player evaluator and this Bill Smith guy sounds like more of an administrator.

At least Ryan left with parts in place. Things were terrible in the late 90's, and Ryan should get credit for making the Twins a small/mid market powerhouse (but just not enough oomph to win in the playoffs)

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
Would anyone trade the last ten years of Sox results with the Twin's results? I wouldn't. We see what he did in the free agent market the last two seasons. I'm not that impressed. So multiply those acquisitions ten fold with more money. Meh. I'm not saying KW is better, just saying I don't think he's the second coming where an organization should dump everything and follow. Perhaps if he had put together a team that won it all, then maybe . . .

Obiously winning it all once trumps winning it all zero times. You do have to give the guy credit for having his team in position to win often. He did play with a shoestring budget, but money doesn't always make you even better GM, ask KW. Who knows, if the Twins spent more, maybe they draft Prior instead of Mauer. Maybe they hang on to AJP and don't get Nathan, Bonzer and Liriano. He did built it the right way, through the minor leagues. It took him a few seasons to get it going, but it was a good run after that.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 04:40 AM)
2 teams traded for and 3 teams released Carlos Pena.

I still can't get over the fact that Carlos is slugging .612.

1. Alex Rodriguez .667

2. Ryan Braun .641

3. Prince Fielder .613

4. Carlos Pena .612

5. David Ortiz .599

Sure, you could see that he had 100+ walk potential and pretty good power when he was with the Tigers, but he was also hitting like .240. He's currently at .280, which is quite an accomplishment considering that he's 29 years of age with a lifetime .250 average in over 2000 ABs. I won't go so far as to call this season a fluke, but I definitely want to see if he can do it again in 2008.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 11:54 PM)
I still can't get over the fact that Carlos is slugging .612.

1. Alex Rodriguez .667

2. Ryan Braun .641

3. Prince Fielder .613

4. Carlos Pena .612

5. David Ortiz .599

Sure, you could see that he had 100+ walk potential and pretty good power when he was with the Tigers, but he was also hitting like .240. He's currently at .280, which is quite an accomplishment considering that he's 29 years of age with a lifetime .250 average in over 2000 ABs. I won't go so far as to call this season a fluke, but I definitely want to see if he can do it again in 2008.

I think he's legit; maybe more blind hope than anything else really, but the last two late 20s lefty sluggers to develop both came from the Red Sox organization via some other organization - David Ortiz and Carlos Pena, who was signed by the Red Sox on August 17th of last year. That lineup with Pena in it would be absolutely ridiculous. It also speaks volumes about their coaching staff.

At the least, I expect him to be back at about .260/.380/.520, but that'd still be a monstrous dropoff in power...perhaps even .260/.380/.560 is more realistic. I really don't know. I just know he's having an absolutely monstrous year in Tampa, and I wanted him in the offseason.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 16, 2007 -> 08:04 AM)
He was technically non-tendered. The Twins have the cheapest owner in sports, when you don't mention Bill Wirtz.

Just so there is a discussion, the cheapest owner (or worst) in sports title should be retired with Dollar Bill Worst. It should always be assumed you mean the second cheapest or second worst . . .