Not to be a hypocrit on the environment

Texsox

Taking Al Gore's message to heart I've

Taken a position where I work from home 80% of the time.

Purchased wind energy for my home.

Moved close to school so I can walk or ride my bike

Set my thermostat at 80

So can I talk about environmental issues without being a hypocrit?

:P

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 04:51 PM)
Taking Al Gore's message to heart I've

Taken a position where I work from home 80% of the time.

Purchased wind energy for my home.

Moved close to school so I can walk or ride my bike

Set my thermostat at 80

So can I talk about environmental issues without being a hypocrit?

:P

yes :headbang

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 10:45 PM)
OH BOY, so can I then... because I have my thermostat set on 80 every day, AND I work 5 minutes from home.

I love following the Goracle! :P

No. If you REALLY want to be like the "Goracle" then you'll go everywhere in a private jet that swallows more fuel in a 2 or 3 trips than my Cherokee does in a full year.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 10:49 PM)
No. If you REALLY want to be like the "Goracle" then you'll go everywhere in a private jet that swallows more fuel in a 2 or 3 trips than my Cherokee does in a full year.

pfft, mere details and facts. the Goracle raises awareness of global warming and tells the rest of us what to do. he is a great man.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 08:57 AM)
I would actually be really curious as to what, if anything, folks here have done in recent years to be more environmentally conscious in their choices. I'd be happy to list mine, if this is of interest to anyone else.

Please do. IIRC we also have someone here who put in a solar system, I forgot who.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 08:57 AM)
I would actually be really curious as to what, if anything, folks here have done in recent years to be more environmentally conscious in their choices. I'd be happy to list mine, if this is of interest to anyone else.

I set my themostat to 79 in the summer

I put in the new energy effienct lightbulbs

I cut my lawn only every couple of weeks, the deck is set low on my mower

I don't flush when I pee sometimes

rarely use the air in the car

ride the train to work, never use cabs or buses, walking instead in downtown.

The GOP is going to fire me :crying

OK. Here are some highlights...

--As you know, Tex, I (and a few friends) run a small not-for-profit that runs wilderness treks and promotes environmental education. We have taken a lot of people, over the years, out to the backcountry, where most of them had never been. This does may positive things for them, but on the environmental front, we give people a real look at wilderness areas and green spaces, their protection, and their importance. We are now also beginning a program in cooperation with the US government (BLM) to work with local youth groups along the Continental Divide Trail - teaching them about the amazing natural resources out their back doors, learning about what the communities need, and helping preserve land along the corridor. Ultimately, this will help create generations of people who are invested in better protecting their local natural resources.

--We (Middle of Somewhere and my wife and I as individuals) donate to a few environmental groups, chosen very specifically. The Nature Conservancy and the Audobon Society, for example, are great models - they aren't just complainers and lobbyists like Sierra Club. They actually get things done. They make sure green spaces are protected, and expanded.

--We drive as little as possible, taking the train or buses or walking/biking for most things we do (except the wife's commute, where mass transit simply doesn't work). We have just one car, and it gets reasonable gas mileage.

--At home, we tried to emphasize things that are both more green AND save us money. Little things like putting in a programmable thermostat, so that we are only cranking the heat or A/C to comfort levels when we are home. Running the A/C less and using open windows more. None of these things are huge, but a few little things like this from everyone would make a huge difference.

--A few months ago, replaced pretty much every single lightbulb we had with a CFL. Electric bill went down noticeably, and I figure they will pay for themselves sometime this year, then save us money next year and forward, as well as decrease energy use.

--We've planted a number of trees around the property, even along the alley (which is technically not our land, but no one complained).

--We use cleaning chemicals that are made from natural ingredients that are easily biodegradable, putting less strain on the water treatment system.

Things we plan to do next year:

--Using ComEd's new energy choice program, and buying exclusively renewable energy sources. It will cost a little more, but this to me is worth a few bucks.

--Using the city's new recycling system (since the blue bag thing didn't really work).

--We are looking at buying a hybrid or light hybrid car.

Reading my list, we could be doing a lot more. And we will, as time goes on. When we actually move into a house (we're in a condo right now), we will be employing a number of things - solar panels, rainwater catch for watering, energy star-rated appliances - that we can't do right now.

I'd bet there are people here who have done more than we have. I'd like to hear what other things have been done. Someone put in solar panels?

-I just replaced most of our lightbulbs. I need to find some that I can put over our sinks in the bathrooms to replace those annoying lights... that are in there now - then all my lights would be CFL's.

-Programmable thermotats - 82 in the day, 78 at night.

-Living in Dallas, it's virtually impossible to cut down in driving. Everything here is soooooooo spread out, and it's a lot different then Chicago in that aspect. However, I did land a job 5 minutes from the house. :)

-We don't have a choice in electricity, even though we're supposed to - because we live in a co-op area.

-I told the guy off at TXU during an interview, because he was a prick. And I basically decided then and there I would never work for a manipulative company like that - ever. My interview there (it was for the division that was going to put in the coal-fired power plants all over Texas) told me all I ever needed to know about people like that. I actually walked out. Did it change anything? No (although they're not putting in all the plants like they said they would).

-We try to conserve water, but that's not easy either, living in Texas.

-I'm all for the hiking bit. :)

I'm pretty limited on what I can do (we don't have any alternative energy stuff here). But here's my little list:

I don't use airconditioning. I have window fans that I use.

During the winter, I set my thermostat at 65 in the night and at 40 during the day

I buy locally grown produce whenever possible.

I only allow myself a half a tank a gas per week, and limit my travel to account for that.

I've replaced all of my upstairs windows with energy efficient ones (downstairs will get replaced as soon as I get the moolah).

I have re-insulated my attic.

I (my dad) replaced my basement windows and we resealed all of the cracks in the basement.

I turn on the minimum amount of lights.

I take short showers and wash my hair everyother day to cut down on water.

I'd like to start composting--but my yard is very small and I'm not sure my neighbors would appreciate it. . .

Composting, if done correctly, will make you popular with your neighbors as you offer them some great fertilizer. No smells, etc. You may have to buy a more esthetically pleasing container than what I used (old pallets).

An interesting fact with my electricty provider, at the time I signed up, the wind generated was actually lower than the alternatives. I had to commit for a longer term, and agree if demand outstripped supply I would accept the higher conventional sources (What? or go dark??)

I car pool two days a week to work with a co-worker (other volunteering stuff makes it impossible the other 3 days).

I buy most of my groceries at the local organic co-op.

I try to use my windows as often as possible (but it is a safety issue to leave my windows open overnight since I live on the 1st floor of my building).

I drive when necessary and walk to a lot of places unless I've got too much to carry there (i.e. boxes of books to a B2P meeting)

I helped our school to work towards getting more energy efficient windows for our building which the district is in the process of doing.

I stopped recyling all together. I really should recycle my aluminum cans, but I don't care about not getting back my $.05 deposit.

Recycling anything but aluminum is bad for the planet. There is more energy consumption in recycling a plastic bottle than just burying it and making a new one from scratch.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 11:54 PM)
I stopped recyling all together. I really should recycle my aluminum cans, but I don't care about not getting back my $.05 deposit.

Recycling anything but aluminum is bad for the planet. There is more energy consumption in recycling a plastic bottle than just burying it and making a new one from scratch.

Is there?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 15, 2007 -> 12:22 AM)
Is there?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 15, 2007 -> 12:39 AM)
Give him your hat Kap . . .

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 15, 2007 -> 12:56 AM)
Please break down the step by step process of recycling a plastic bottle.

I'm being serious. Is there really that much waste by recycling?

The recycling process requires more energy usage for transporting, sorting, storing and cleaning the product.

Another truck is required to pick up your bins of recycled parts.

A facility has to be set up to sort and store all the stuff.

More transportation is required to move the sorted stuff to yet another facility to melt the plastic, or bundle up the paper

Then the next steps are used in the normal, initial start of making a new bottle from cash.

It's a complete waste of tax money. There is no value in recycling plastic or paper, however there is value in recycling aluminum.

Ever notice how bums don't go through trash cans looking for Evian bottles?

If energy consumption was the only factor, you are correct. Most plastic containers are not recycled into more plastic containers but in making textiles, plastic lumber, and other products where virgin material would not be as useful or economically friendly.