Sometimes the Police need to be Police'd

3E8

This guy gives hard working cops a bad name. This is a guy, with low self esteem who needs to bully people to feel in control. These types are the ones that irritate me a lot. One of these douchebags resonates more in peoples memory than 100 good stories of great cops who do their job everyday. This guy causes more harm to his fellow men in blue than he could possibly imagine. Hopefully he is no longer a cop soon.

Its just insane that that cop didnt get fired. Ill continue to think that they need to have much stricter guidelines for who they allow to be police officers considering how much power they have.

Depending on the state, if that evidence is turned in, it can be ruled as illegal wiretapping, a felony. Of course that didn't stop our president from committing such an act.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Sep 15, 2007 -> 12:26 PM)
Its just insane that that cop didnt get fired. Ill continue to think that they need to have much stricter guidelines for who they allow to be police officers considering how much power they have.

He's been suspended without pay. I'll bet there is a formal process that must be followed before removing the cop. And that is probably a good thing. I imagine cops are accused of behavior like this all the time, and I'll even bet that 90% of the time it's made up. But of course there are a few bad cops, just like there are some bad accountants and restaurant cooks.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 16, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)
He's been suspended without pay. I'll bet there is a formal process that must be followed before removing the cop. And that is probably a good thing. I imagine cops are accused of behavior like this all the time, and I'll even bet that 90% of the time it's made up. But of course there are a few bad cops, just like there are some bad accountants and restaurant cooks.

That is why the cops are supposed to have their cameras with sound going, to protect themselves from the false accusations. If that guy had his going at all, I can't see where that hearing would last very long. What a dick. I know cops have a hard job and put up with alot of crap, but that was just wrong.

I'm going to try to be careful in this thread.

--He may be fired, he's being investigated, and he is suspended without pay. Not sure I'd call it a firing offense, but maybe. Close to it anyway. But let's see what happens.

--Police work, unfortunately, draws some people to it who like the power way too much. So, you get the occasional asshole like this. He is, fortunately, in the small minority.

--Most cops go through a selection process that is much more rigid than almost any other job there is, including the military (this I've been told by cops who are former military, which is a common career path). There are differences between departments of course. But many times, cops that start well, don't end well. That is where I think some of the biggest failures are - they have stringent guidelines for selection, but then most departments tend to be a lot less mindful of ongoing behavior, and provide a lot less training after the first 2 years.

--Here is my question in reading this and seeing the tape - are we seeing the whole thing? Just curious. I haven't seen the part of the tape where the encounter actually started. Has anyone seen it? Have we heard how the conversation actually began?

I hope this cop gets penalized severely. Since he didn't do anything to the kid physically, I'd stop short of saying he should be fired. Give him an extended suspension without pay, put him back on the street with a partner for a while and not alone, and put him on probation for a year or two. Make sure his squad has a camera operating with audio. Get him some therapy. If he screws up again, fire his ass.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 16, 2007 -> 11:23 AM)
I'm going to try to be careful in this thread.

--He may be fired, he's being investigated, and he is suspended without pay. Not sure I'd call it a firing offense, but maybe. Close to it anyway. But let's see what happens.

--Police work, unfortunately, draws some people to it who like the power way too much. So, you get the occasional asshole like this. He is, fortunately, in the small minority.

--Most cops go through a selection process that is much more rigid than almost any other job there is, including the military (this I've been told by cops who are former military, which is a common career path). There are differences between departments of course. But many times, cops that start well, don't end well. That is where I think some of the biggest failures are - they have stringent guidelines for selection, but then most departments tend to be a lot less mindful of ongoing behavior, and provide a lot less training after the first 2 years.

--Here is my question in reading this and seeing the tape - are we seeing the whole thing? Just curious. I haven't seen the part of the tape where the encounter actually started. Has anyone seen it? Have we heard how the conversation actually began?

I hope this cop gets penalized severely. Since he didn't do anything to the kid physically, I'd stop short of saying he should be fired. Give him an extended suspension without pay, put him back on the street with a partner for a while and not alone, and put him on probation for a year or two. Make sure his squad has a camera operating with audio. Get him some therapy. If he screws up again, fire his ass.

Please. He's being abusive, threatening to make up charges just cuz he feels like it. Fire his ass IMMEDIATELY.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Sep 16, 2007 -> 10:28 AM)
Please. He's being abusive, threatening to make up charges just cuz he feels like it. Fire his ass IMMEDIATELY.

He's probably the type of guy who does this regularly. Therefore, I wouldn't shed a tear if he was fired. But, if there are no previous allegations or evidence of wrongdoing, and since he didn't arrest the kid of harm him in any physical way, I would probably give him one shot to show it was a one-time thing. If he has problems previously documented that are anything like this though, then I heartily agree. Fire him.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 16, 2007 -> 10:23 AM)

I don't understand what you mean. When the kid first turns right you can see him pass the cop car. Then he turns left into the parking lot and the cop follows him in and turns on the lights. The cop walks up to his window and starts the conversation by saying "How we doing? What's going on?". Then the kid gets a little smart and the cop goes berserk.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 16, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
I don't understand what you mean. When the kid first turns right you can see him pass the cop car. Then he turns left into the parking lot and the cop follows him in and turns on the lights. The cop walks up to his window and starts the conversation by saying "How we doing? What's going on?". Then the kid gets a little smart and the cop goes berserk.

Really? The version of the tape I saw (on CNN's site I think) just showed snippets, not the whole thing. Is the whole thing on YouTube somewhere?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 16, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
He's probably the type of guy who does this regularly. Therefore, I wouldn't shed a tear if he was fired. But, if there are no previous allegations or evidence of wrongdoing, and since he didn't arrest the kid of harm him in any physical way, I would probably give him one shot to show it was a one-time thing. If he has problems previously documented that are anything like this though, then I heartily agree. Fire him.

It doesnt matter if he did it once or everyday. This is just about the most serious thing a police officer can do. Its only hearsay at this point but I am led to believe it would have been a lot worse if the cop didnt notice the camera half way through his little rant.

This cop not only should have been fired, he should be thrown in jail. Everybody acts so shocked when stuff like this happens but when there arent any major consequences there is little to detur them from doing otherwise. If cops break the oath they take when theyre sworn in they should be arrested, that is the easiest way to clean stuff like this up. For every one cop that gets caught because of video footage I bet theres hundreds that go unnoticed. People I know have personally had police abuse their power for whatever reason and Id assume almost anyone on here knows someone that had the same type of thing happen.

Not to defend the cop in any way. But as I as watching this I wonder if the kid wasn't hoping for an encounter like this. The camera, his later explanation he was meeting a friend to retrieve his cell phone (who picks a deserted lot) just doesn't ring sincere with me. But, at worse, we have a citizen basically using the same tactics that the police use. He gave the officer a chance to make a mistake, and this cop took it. I will be very surprised if neither one of these people have previous experience doing this.

Again, I am not defending the cop, maybe just making this kid a little less of a random, innocent, victim.

I don't think it's random. Check out this kid's posts on another forum.

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/search.php?searchid=482755

If what he says is true, he definitely has good reason for the camera (attacked by drunk officer, police making death threats on him). I can't say he isn't hoping for encounters like the one in the video, he may be trying to expose them.

The camera, his later explanation he was meeting a friend to retrieve his cell phone (who picks a deserted lot) just doesn't ring sincere with me.

He didn't set up the camera for this. It was very clearly stated in the CNN interview that he installed a camera after another incident where he was ticketed but felt he was innocent but couldn't prove it.

Even if he did set up a camera just to test out the cops, who cares? I want to know how my tax dollars are being spent.