Yip, I still hate Jesse Jackson

Jenksismyhero

http://www.thestate.com/local/v-print/story/177514.html

So Jackson calls Obama out for "acting like he's white" because he hasn't come out strong against this "Jena 6" situation.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-09-06-jena_N.htm

Apparently 6 black kids went after a white kid and beat the crap out of him. They were charged with attempted murder, which according to Jackson, Sharpton, et al, is too severe. (funny note - from what I could read the kids weren't charged with a hate crime, how is that not a hate crime?). Regardless of whether they were charged too strongly, I find it hilarious that Jackson is calling out Obama for not coming to these kids aid. Reminds me a lot of the situation a few years back in Decatur (or Springfield? I can't remember) where a bunch of black kids attacked a bunch of white kids at a football game and were all expelled - a punishment Jackson spent weeks and weeks protesting as too severe.

Silly Jesse Jackson should know that it's OK to hang nooses from the Jenna schoolyard "White Tree" and also to assault classmates with a shotgun as long as you're white, but if you are black and try to fight your armed white attacker it will lead to attempted second-degree murder charges for you and your black friends.

Some folks just don't know that's the way it is in Jena, Louisiana.

:ph34r:

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 19, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
Silly Jesse Jackson should know that it's OK to hang nooses from the Jenna schoolyard "White Tree" and also to assault classmates with a shotgun as long as you're white, but if you are black and try to fight your armed white attacker it will lead to attempted second-degree murder charges for you and your black friends.

Some folks just don't know that's the way it is in Jena, Louisiana.

:ph34r:

Pft. What a country. Where else can a person use racial slurs to call out people and be defended for it. If he wants to call out Obama for not doing enough, that is fine, but at least have the decency to not re-enforce the very same racism that led to this incident in the first place. Or maybe that is just me not acting white enough or something.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)
Pft. What a country. Where else can a person use racial slurs to call out people and be defended for it. If he wants to call out Obama for not doing enough, that is fine, but at least have the decency to not re-enforce the very same racism that led to this incident in the first place. Or maybe that is just me not acting white enough or something.

Oh I don't know. You're pretty white. :D

He wants Obama to defend them because they are black and he is black. That is the same narrowminded bulls*** that has the radical Muslims up in arms, defending terrorists, because the are fellow Muslims. Flassox, those nooses were bad. very bad. but what they did wasn't any better. Catch the guys who hung the nooses and try them for the hate crimes the left loves so much. The black kids got caught. Kinda like in football, the one who retaliates always gets the penalty.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Sep 19, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)
He wants Obama to defend them because they are black and he is black. That is the same narrowminded bulls*** that has the radical Muslims up in arms, defending terrorists, because the are fellow Muslims. Flassox, those nooses were bad. very bad. but what they did wasn't any better. Catch the guys who hung the nooses and try them for the hate crimes the left loves so much. The black kids got caught. Kinda like in football, the one who retaliates always gets the penalty.

I don't see any similarties in this case and terrorism. I think it's about people standing up for themselves and being fed up. I see kids who grew up in the south and have heard stories about how their familes were hung from tree's. Than to see nooses haning from a tree. I don't know what its like to be black in the south, but i'm guessing I would have reacted too.

Oh that and Jesse Jackson is great for pissing off uptight closet racists.

How Obama handles this will, I think, be one of those key moments in his campaign.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Sep 19, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)
I don't see any similarties in this case and terrorism. I think it's about people standing up for themselves and being fed up. I see kids who grew up in the south and have heard stories about how their familes were hung from tree's. Than to see nooses haning from a tree. I don't know what its like to be black in the south, but i'm guessing I would have reacted too.

Jessie is mad at Obama for not acting black enough anbd defending these kids. So, is Jessie saying Obama should defend them because they are balck? Sure sounds like it. My reference to the terrorists is that you see alot of supposedly moderate Muslims defending Muslims accused of terrosist or terrorist-like activities (like the 2 guys casing the airport), simply because they are Muslim. or cops defending other cops simply because they are cops.

When it is time to bash Jesse Jackson ..., these are the times I really miss having Nuke around. I can honestly say this world will be a better place when Jesse Jackson is dead and takes his slide of hand racism with him. Jesse claimed to hold the dying MLK Jr. in his arms at one point in his political career (a lie). Even if it were true, is this what Dr. King wanted? A powerful black voice to be fighting for the rights of obvious criminals? In the case of Decatur, one of those boys was an 18 year old freshman. Jesse went around saying "these boys have a right to their education." Maybe the 18 year old should have got something from his freshman year the first three times around. And now this episode with similarities. This certainly fits the standards of a hate crime, and hear comes Jesse for save the kids from being convicted of a lynching. I imagine these kids are far from honor students too. It is a good think that Jesse is protecting the criminals and not the actual victims of discrimination

Edited by Greg The Bull Luzinski

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Sep 19, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)

Jackson is a closet racist himself, I think. But it is rather interesting how many closet racists there are.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Sep 19, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
Flassox, those nooses were bad. very bad. but what they did wasn't any better.

Honestly?

An administrator tells a black kid e can sit anywhere he wants to. He goes and sits under the White Tree and the next day there are nooses hanging from the tree.

Rather than expulsion, the white kids who hung the nooses got 3 days of in-school suspension.

The white kid that got beat up pulled a shotgun from his truck and assaulted the the group of kids.

The group of black students are now up for second degree attempted murder while no charges were filed against the white kid who pulled the shotgun on them. They may be in prison until they ae 50 because they were able to successfully disarm their assailant and refused to give him his gun back.

The black kids are no better than the white kid in this situation?

hookay.

Fla, you are mixing two incidents.

In a parking lot of a convenience store, a white man ran into 3 black students. Words were exchanged and the man ran back to his truck to get his shotgun. One of the black students wrestled it away from him. He was charged with theft and battery.

In a separate, later incident, a white student taunted a black student about a fight the black student lost the previous weekend to some white guy. The black student and 5 friends then beat up the white student. This was the event that led to the controversial charges.

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Sep 19, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
Fla, you are mixing two incidents.

In a parking lot of a convenience store, a white man ran into 3 black students. Words were exchanged and the man ran back to his truck to get his shotgun. One of the black students wrestled it away from him. He was charged with theft and battery.

In a separate, later incident, a white student taunted a black student about a fight the black student lost the previous weekend to some white guy. The black student and 5 friends then beat up the white student. This was the event that led to the controversial charges.

You're right, I forgot the last fight in the summary. Thanks. I still haven't heard about the 30 year jail stint that white kid must be looking at.

Attempted murder does seem a bit severe. Were they really trying to kill the kid? It's obviously felony assault though.

As far as the shotgun incident, if he attacked someone then he should be charged too. If he was just holding a legal gun to scare off a group of attackers thats hardly a crime. But I wasn't there so I have no idea what happened. I'm sure stories vary from person to person. So if no one was injured you can't really charge someone with that crime when a bunch of witnesses are all contradicting each other.

Edited by mr_genius

I agree that the kids that hung the nooses should be in alot more trouble than what they did. But they DIDN'T kick someone or beat them up and put them in the hospital. YES, they intimidated them, and there HAS to be something that they could have done to them. But they didn't. Apparently the principal tried to do the right thing, telling them they can sit there, and trying to expell the kids, but got overruled by some crackers on the board. That inflamed the racial tensions in the area, as you might expect. I am NOT saying what the white kids did was right, because it wasn't. but what the black kids did was wrong, and the fact that some nooses were hung on a tree and some racist board members gave them a slap on the wrist doesn't make it ok to gang up on someone and put them in the hospital. I think the attempted murder rap is probably harsh, but assult and battery sure wouldn't be.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Sep 19, 2007 -> 08:57 PM)
I agree that the kids that hung the nooses should be in alot more trouble than what they did. But they DIDN'T kick someone or beat them up and put them in the hospital. YES, they intimidated them, and there HAS to be something that they could have done to them. But they didn't. Apparently the principal tried to do the right thing, telling them they can sit there, and trying to expell the kids, but got overruled by some crackers on the board. That inflamed the racial tensions in the area, as you might expect. I am NOT saying what the white kids did was right, because it wasn't. but what the black kids did was wrong, and the fact that some nooses were hung on a tree and some racist board members gave them a slap on the wrist doesn't make it ok to gang up on someone and put them in the hospital. I think the attempted murder rap is probably harsh, but assult and battery sure wouldn't be.

If you realize that the law of the school isn't going to protect you from being victimized, often times kids want to end the victimization and therefore do stuff like this or even worse. It is why our district has had a huge bent in security training but also positive interventions training to curb victimization with extra supports like a social worker, etc. It is good to be proactive as much as possible.

And Alpha -- not calling you out. Just others in here and didn't want to double post.

On September 10, several dozen black students attempted to address the school board concerning the recent events but were refused because the board was of the opinion that "the noose issue" had been adequately resolved.

It seems like there is a separate and unequal justice system here. Nooses as a very obvious threat of violence gets 3 days of ISS and taking home a shotgun a person pulls on them yields three criminal charges. One of the guys was on trial with an all white jury and one of the jurors was a friend of a very involved white kid's father.

Even if they did kick this guy's ass, let's not act like it wasn't provoked and that there were numerous proactive measures that the city of Jena and Jena High School simply pissed all over. Assault? Ok. 2nd degree attempted murder? Not so much.

I just wonder what the city would do if it was six white kids who beat up a black student. And even though some of these guys may be violent asstunnels, a railroading is still a railroading that I oppose just on principle. (just like I thank the ACLU for their work to stop the vice crap that nailed Sen. Craig -- while I found the Sen. Craig stuff hilarious for his hypocrisy being exposed, it was dubious in the eyes of the Constitutionality of such an endeavor /end.threadjack)

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 19, 2007 -> 08:39 PM)
You're right, I forgot the last fight in the summary. Thanks. I still haven't heard about the 30 year jail stint that white kid must be looking at.

I have a large problem with the punishments that were given to the kids. On paper, and the details that I have read, they do not look equal at all.

That being said, I also have a large problem with someone getting up in a public forum and using the very same stereotypes that reinforce racism, as a derogatory term. What would the reaction have been if David Duke had gotten up and accused the district attorney of the area of "acting like he's black" because he didn't go far enough in prosecuting the black kids in this case? We all know what the reaction would have been. In both cases, the real and the hypothetical, it is wrong. You cannot use racism to stop racism. All that does is reenforce artificial differences between people. If Jesse Jackson is saying that there is a different set of expecations for a black politician and a white one, then he is actually justifying different treatment of people of different races. He is pretty much telling us that there is a separate, but equal, unwritten rule set for different races of politicians. How does that solve the problem at hand? It doesnt'. In my eyes he should be blasting everyone attached to this case, not just a race. I don't care who you are, justice should be serving the people blind, and getting up and using a race as a derogatory term helps to do nothing of the sort. The only way you are going to get justice for all people is if race is forgotten about, and all people are treated the same, regardless of their differences.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 08:51 AM)
I have a large problem with the punishments that were given to the kids. On paper, and the details that I have read, they do not look equal at all.

That being said, I also have a large problem with someone getting up in a public forum and using the very same stereotypes that reinforce racism, as a derogatory term. What would the reaction have been if David Duke had gotten up and accused the district attorney of the area of "acting like he's black" because he didn't go far enough in prosecuting the black kids in this case? We all know what the reaction would have been. In both cases, the real and the hypothetical, it is wrong. You cannot use racism to stop racism. All that does is reenforce artificial differences between people. If Jesse Jackson is saying that there is a different set of expecations for a black politician and a white one, then he is actually justifying different treatment of people of different races. He is pretty much telling us that there is a separate, but equal, unwritten rule set for different races of politicians. How does that solve the problem at hand? It doesnt'. In my eyes he should be blasting everyone attached to this case, not just a race. I don't care who you are, justice should be serving the people blind, and getting up and using a race as a derogatory term helps to do nothing of the sort. The only way you are going to get justice for all people is if race is forgotten about, and all people are treated the same, regardless of their differences.

Bingo

Narrow minded bulls*** that is OH so typical of these so called black "leaders" who are nothing more than a bunch of leftist shills for the Democrat party. It doesn't matter how heinous the crime, there is no such thing as a guilty black person in their eyes.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 09:58 AM)
Narrow minded bulls*** that is OH so typical of these so called black "leaders" who are nothing more than a bunch of leftist shills for the Democrat party. It doesn't matter how heinous the crime, there is no such thing as a guilty black person in their eyes.

You are really stretching here. I don't think most Dems would want to be associated with Jesse or those comments, so he certainly isn't a shill for them.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 02:58 PM)

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 03:02 PM)
You are really stretching here. I don't think most Dems would want to be associated with Jesse or those comments, so he certainly isn't a shill for them.

I wouldn't say that either. What they are, though, are "racist" pimps looking to make America look worse then it is along racial lines to stuff their pocketbooks, all while claiming that they are bettering America.

They are jackasses. Period.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)

He represents a large fraction of the base of the Democrat party, black people, or at least he claims he does so it's not that much of a stretch at all.