Thome Season Total

SkokieSox

That depends an awful lot on whether we can afford that lineup and the extra $17 million or so in it without having to go to a rotation of Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks, Floyd, Haeger/Gio/Egbert/Broadway.

Yes, losing Garland and Jose for 2 younger unproven guys might not be good.

Especially with the bullpen issues.

I hope Haeger is a starter and never is used as a reliever again.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 03:29 AM)
That's the point, there is no reasoning. He's supposed to hit at least 40 homers every year or he sucks. Even when he was in a slump, and when he goes in one you can pretty much lob the ball up there and get him out, his AB per HR ratio for this season was almost exactly the same as Willie Mays' career ratio. The guy is a slugger. I hope his back holds up for more games in 2008.

There have been three criticisms I've made of Thome when he's got here, and I wonder if you're pointing me out with these types of posts:

- he struggles against LHP, which is vital in our division

- last year, he disappeared down the stretch. I think his wrist injury really prevented him from pulling the ball, as he hit only a handful of homers to right/right center during the 2nd half of the season.

- and of course, his inability to produce in the 9th inning or later. I had such a smile on my face when he hit 500, as it's been what I've wished for during his stay with the Sox.

And what reasoning has caused this theory? The guy has hit a minimum of 30 every year except for one in the last 12 seasons.

It's simple. Feeble minded Sox fan have graded Thome on a strict curve because we traded Rowand for him and he replaced Frank Thomas/whoever his replacement was went he went down.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2007 -> 10:31 PM)
I've said it before and I'll say it again...it would be a very smart move to pick a day when there is a lefty starter on the mound once per week and decide that JD is going to DH and Terrero (if he's still here) is going to play RF. Why push your luck and wind up getting JT hurt?

That's a pretty good idea. Although I'd like an upgrade on the Terrero part.

I wish Ozzie would bench Thome with some "mysterious" injury. Thome is swinging the bat like he hasn't since the first half of 2006. This would've been great earlier in the year. He's just killing us now.

He ain't killing me.

33 home runs and counting! Way to go, Jimmy.

You've put together a fine season stat-wise after all.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 26, 2007 -> 07:27 PM)
My favorite is still when Mike Tyson said he was going to fade into Bolivian.

Honorable mention has to go to Shaq, not so much for butchering English but for high level ignorance.

Several years back he was in Athens, Greece, for an international competition. A reporter quizzed Shaquille O'Neal about his trip, asking if he had visited the Parthenon. Shaq replied, "I don't know. I can't really remember the names of the clubs that we went to."

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Sep 27, 2007 -> 07:11 PM)
Woopdee dang doodle. We needed these in June. But they wouldn't have happened because the games actually meant something.

We're all frustrated, but let it go, Thome has produced when it has counted time and time again in his career. This dismal season isn't squarely on his shoulders...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2007 -> 09:09 PM)
Thome produces big time at the beginning of the season in 06, and he's unclutch because he didn't produce as much down the stretch.

Thome gets hot down the stretch in 07, and he's unclutch because he got hurt at the beginning of the season.

Exactly - until the guy hits 74 homeruns in a season, he's a detriment to this team. lol