Pioneer League Top 25

maggsmaggs

Who else thinks that Poreda has a great shot at being top 2, maybe number one?

Jordan Walden, Juan Moreno seem like the closest competition. I looked at the stats and did not see any guys batting that I would take over Aaron. We will see tomorrow, but any one else get the feeling he will be number one?

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)

Jordan Walden, Juan Moreno seem like the closest competition. I looked at the stats and did not see any guys batting that I would take over Aaron. We will see tomorrow, but any one else get the feeling he will be number one?

Gallagher and Retherford should make that list, I'd bet (along with Poreda). Juan Moreno too. Might be 4 or even 5 from GF on that list (Ely or Sanchez may be outside shots to get on it). I'm excited to see this one, since the GF team seems to be the one with the most promise in the system right now.

I think Walden will be one.... But Poreda should be the second pitcher.

Moreno will crack the top 20, but I bet he'll be at the bottom, and they call him "a command and control" guy -- Full disclosure: I have never received a scouting report on Moreno, so I could be completely off. I doubt it though.

No other White Sox players will make the list. If there are questions asked about them in the corresponding chat, age will be the determining factor that keeps the offensive players from making the cut.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 01:54 PM)

Moreno will crack the top 20, but I bet he'll be at the bottom, and they call him "a command and control" guy -- Full disclosure: I have never received a scouting report on Moreno, so I could be completely off. I doubt it though.

No other White Sox players will make the list. If there are questions asked about them in the corresponding chat, age will be the determining factor that keeps the offensive players from making the cut.

I guess it all depends on what the writer(s) of these lists think about age. Gallagher, Retherford and Sanchez are all 22, but they are all true rookies in their first year of professional ball. Some writers see 22, and ignore them, in favor of 20 and 21 year-olds. Others realize there is more to it than that, and further see that a 21-year old and a 22-year old are both still young. We'll see.

Fortunately, this Regier fellow who is now managing the system is preaching patience, so we'll actually get to see some talented players have a chance to develop, even if they aren't a just out of high school phenom. I'm pretty happy about that, since I am of the mind that many players are not physically or mentally ready for professional ball at age 20, no matter how much talent they have. Patience will also help those 20-year olds.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 02:00 PM)
I guess it all depends on what the writer(s) of these lists think about age.

It's pretty much the largest thing outside of performance that they look at... The AZL list was a bunch of 17-18 year olds, with #1 going to a 16 year old. Here's a quote from the free part of the AZL list

The most important number regarding Villalona isn't 2.1 million (the bonus he got when he signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2006) but rather 1990 (the year he was born). He played most of the season at 16. Beltre, who signed for 600,000 out of the Dominican last year, hit much better following his inclusion in the Eric Gagne trade.
Several of the league's stats leaders didn't make the list mostly because of their advanced age, such as Giants first baseman Andy D'Alessio (14 homers) and Angels outfielder Anthony Norman (.362 batting average). Both were 22.

I guess it all depends on what the writer(s) of these lists think about age.

Yes. Looking at the Appalachian League Top 20 list, a few of the Twins guys were out of college and at least one more was signed two years ago and is in the Appy league at age 20.

So it really depends on the writer and also the feedback they get. There are always grey areas with these lists but they're intersting to see. What is also interesting is to read the sidebar, they list the Top 10 from five years ago. Most do not make it, as one might expect.

20 isn't considered old for rookie ball. 22 is.

the pioneer league is also the second stop for the Twins, whereas it's the first for the White Sox, so they should be slightly more advanced. Without even looking at the list, I suspect the Twins player to whom you're referring in the Dutch 7 footer, who will be listed for the simple fact of being a 7 foot tall pitcher. That's something you can't teach.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)

I was going to say that Gindl would be ahead of Poreda based on his age and 1.000 OPS. But that's inflated by a .370 BA. And he's listed at 5'9" -- So he's not the power guy you'd first expect upon seeing the 1.000 OPS. Still a good prospect, just a different one, who probably won't eclipse Poreda.

the pioneer league is also the second stop for the Twins, whereas it's the first for the White Sox, so they should be slightly more advanced. Without even looking at the list, I suspect the Twins player to whom you're referring in the Dutch 7 footer, who will be listed for the simple fact of being a 7 foot tall pitcher. That's something you can't teach.

First of all Bristol is the lowest level in the White Sox chain. Most of the college guys go to Great Falls, most of the high school and recent Dominican signings are sent to Bristol. Bristol is the first stop. If the scouts and Regier feel the prospects are a bit more advanced they go to Great Falls. It is the main reason the White Sox got out of the Arizona Rookie League, they felt the competition there was too similar to the Appalachian League and they wanted a slightly higher level for their prospects, hence the move to the Pioneer League.

As an example, Salvador Sanchez already played a season in Bristol. He then went to Kannapolis (going from memory) and did not do well. This year was basically a step back for him to the Pioneer League as they wanted him to get a ton of playing time and get some confidence.

There were a couple of college guys from the Twins in that list, the 20 yr. old I mentioned was the SS who was signed in '05.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)
First of all Bristol is the lowest level in the White Sox chain. Most of the college guys go to Great Falls, most of the high school and recent Dominican signings are sent to Bristol. Bristol is the first stop. If the scouts and Regier feel the prospects are a bit more advanced they go to Great Falls. It is the main reason the White Sox got out of the Arizona Rookie League, they felt the competition there was too similar to the Appalachian League and they wanted a slightly higher level for their prospects, hence the move to the Pioneer League.

That's what I said.

That's what I said.

Actually no you didn't, that's why I posted as I did.

You said the Pioneer League was the 2nd stop for the Twins and the 1st for the White Sox.

The Twins do not have a team in the Pioneer League so I assumed you simply mistyped and meant to say the Appalachian League is the 2nd stop for the Twins (the Twins have a rookie team in the Gulf Coast League).

But since you said Pioneer League in your post, I wanted to clarify for the board that the Appalachian League is the lowest level of the White Sox chain, then Great Falls in the Pioneer League, then Kannapolis, and so on.

I presume you just mistyped?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 12:17 PM)

Bristol is the Sox lowest league. It is where they typically send high schoolers while Great Falls gets more of the collegiate players and more advanced dominican league guys (with Bristol getting the most raw ones). Great Falls tends to even have a couple older older guys as well.

EDIT: Just saw Polar's post saying the same thing (I assume its just a typo by Gene though)

As for this Pioneer League list, I am not a predictor but I think you will see three Great Falls players on the top 20. Poreda, Morena, and one of either Retherford or Jim Gallagher. Gallagher impressed a lot of Pioneer League people, not only with the bat but his smart OF play. Yes the college/age factor is in play here but Gallagher in particular was a guy who played extremely well and was very consistent start to finish.

As for this Pioneer League list, I am not a predictor but I think you will see three Great Falls players on the top 20. Poreda, Morena, and one of either Retherford or Jim Gallagher. Gallagher impressed a lot of Pioneer League people, not only with the bat but his smart OF play. Yes the college/age factor is in play here but Gallagher in particular was a guy who played extremely well and was very consistent start to finish.

This is why I don't like to predict. There are 6 on the list, not three. Shows how much I know I guess. I did know there'd be more than Poreda though.

Looks like you are as good at predicting as I am. :)

Surprising that Moreno didn't make the top 20 although I'm sure he'll be mentioned in the chat.