The environment thread

BigSqwert

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 2, 2013 -> 08:11 AM)
Do they compare it to people who pay traditionally but can monitor their usage in the same way and get a "running bill" amount? I'd use that for sure.

No, but you will be able to monitor it if you have a smart meter...

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 2, 2013 -> 09:51 AM)
I know gas companies allow customers around Chicago to spread out costs over the year instead of having huge bills in the winter and low bills in the summer. Do the electric companies not offer those types of plans?

Mine does, but I get gas and electric from both.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 2, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)
Not in our area yet. Some funny hysterics in Naperville over them, though.

We've had all kinds of outrage here too...we also have a program for smart thermostats that allow you to control it via the web...I think the two tools combined will really go a long way towards improving your ability to control your usage and spending.

I was curious so I googled trying to find some articles on this. Hard, most results were for various companies' plans, but I did find this:

http://www.governing.com/blogs/view/Rise-o...-Scrutiny-.html

Critics, however, worry that utilities market prepaid service to the poor to avoid offering discount plans and payment-assistance programs. “It’s starting to look like a second-class service that’s devoid of some of the key consumer protections for people who don’t have a lot of money,” complains John Howat, senior policy analyst with the National Consumer Law Center, a Boston-based nonprofit advocacy group that opposes prepay.

Prepaid utility service has been popular for decades overseas, particularly in Great Britain. Howat says rates are higher in the United Kingdom under prepaid than traditional billing, and that service is “disproportionately concentrated among lower income households.” In the U.S., prepay is either comparable in price to bill-me-later service or slightly higher. Howat notes that hidden expenses, including start-up and equipment costs and transaction fees when payments are made, can raise the overall price tag. Utilities counter that consumers still save through increased conservation efforts.

SRP makes no exceptions for weather emergencies, but if a customer desperately needs power and can’t leave home or is out of cash, they can call the utility for assistance. To avoid disconnections during emergencies, SRP recommends that money be kept on spare token cards – which are swiped at kiosks and meters to buy electricity – to quickly replenish service. SRP also offers “friendly credit” that maintains power overnight after balances hit zero.

Critics insist that these and other safeguards are insufficient. The National Association of State Utility Consumer Advocates passed a June 2011 resolution that recommends an array of consumer protections, including no shut offs that could jeopardize health or safety, a “reasonable” grace period before disconnections, availability of payment assistance plans and lower rates than traditional service to reflect reduced overhead. In its June report, the NCLC, which helped draft the NASUCA resolution, recommends additional protections, including no participation for the elderly, sick, disabled and families with young children.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 2, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
Quick thought: what happens to you if your electricity provider's payment website is down and you need to pay to turn your power back on?

I don't know...these are all the type of things that need to be worked through anytime a new program is introduced. Honestly, I think prepay is a fine idea for things that are not necessities, not so much for things that are.

However, utilities should still be allowed to collect for services rendered. No one claims the oil companies should have to put gas in your tank for free if you don't have any money...I also understand that the industry business model is such that utilities have a practical monopoly, so it is a bit different...but that is a function of economics more than anything else.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 15, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
That's pretty cool looking, unfortunate for the home owners of course, I don't get your snark though.

I really wasn't being snarky, just poking fun at a really terrible movie (except for Emmy Rossum)

• 3 weeks later...

So MidAmerican Energy Holding Co (a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway) has reached an agreement to acquire NV Energy, the public utility company I work for in Nevada.

MidAmerican already owns Pacificorp, which owns a large portion of the assets in the West. Combine that with NV Energy's assets in NV, and MidAmerican holds a disproportionately large number of assets in the western power grid.

I'll be interested to see how FERC approval goes...

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (iamshack @ May 30, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
So MidAmerican Energy Holding Co (a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway) has reached an agreement to acquire NV Energy, the public utility company I work for in Nevada.

MidAmerican already owns Pacificorp, which owns a large portion of the assets in the West. Combine that with NV Energy's assets in NV, and MidAmerican holds a disproportionately large number of assets in the western power grid.

I'll be interested to see how FERC approval goes...

That will be an interesting one to watch.

Pacificorp and NV Energy aren't part of the same ISO, are they? I'm more familiar with the Midwest stuff....

SONGS, the twin-reactor nuclear plant about 45 minutes south of LA, is heading for decommissioning.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/San-...-210565761.html

Last January, during a scheduled refueling outage for one of the reactors, damage was discovered in the new steam generator unit. The other reactor was then shut down, and both have been offline since. It appears that there was a design flaw in the Mitsubishi steam generators installed in 2009 and 2010.

Earlier this year, Kewaunee Nuclear Plant near Two Rivers, WI was shut down permanently for economic reasons. Progress Energy also announced earlier this year that they would be decommissioning their Crystal River plant in Florida. They damaged the containment building when attempting to upgrade their steam generators three or so years ago, and cost estimates to repair it were in the billions.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 11:08 AM)

Pacificorp and NV Energy aren't part of the same ISO, are they? I'm more familiar with the Midwest stuff....

No, neither are in an ISO...they are part of the WECC, which is just a coordinating council.

There are rumors, however, that the two would ultimately merge and then join the CAISO.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (farmteam @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)

Seriously, Buffet is Obama's buddy. No problems will be encountered.