The environment thread

BigSqwert

It's called a deferred liability, first of all.

Second of all, they'll pay. Don't worry. And it's not some trick.

Third of all, you can thank your Congress for this (without regard to party - but I'm sure it's some evil GOP plot against government and paying off the private sector, because it always is.)

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 05:07 PM)
SCORECARD.jpg

Thankfully, the heavy snow over 1/5th of the country this winter proves climate change isn't happening, so I don't need to worry about that data.

It's been 90 f***ing degrees in Maryland the last 3 days, in the first week of April no less. Just once I'd like to see Drudge make a headline about that.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 6, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)
It's called a deferred liability, first of all.

Second of all, they'll pay. Don't worry. And it's not some trick.

Third of all, you can thank your Congress for this (without regard to party - but I'm sure it's some evil GOP plot against government and paying off the private sector, because it always is.)

Ditto what you say!

Evanston council to consider wind farm on lake

Could an offshore wind farm be in Evanston's future? The Evanston City Council meets tonight to consider inviting partners to build wind turbines six to nine miles out on Lake Michigan. A group called Citizens for a Greener Evanston has identified a potential site east of the center of Northwestern University where average annual winds are 18 mph.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 12:03 PM)
Ho hum.

The sad thing is...that's the classic American attitude, and guess what it means is going to happen? Canada's going to make a fortune developing that energy source. Because they're already pumping money into doing so.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:15 AM)
The sad thing is...that's the classic American attitude, and guess what it means is going to happen? Canada's going to make a fortune developing that energy source. Because they're already pumping money into doing so.

Yea, because that's exactly what's going to happen.

I know. I know. Everyone's going to surpass the US in everything, but all I'm going to do is b**** about it on the Internets and make boastful claims of what I'll never actually do!#$!

IF all of these things are true, and you truly believe in them, it'd be wise to invest in all those foreign companies and probably try to gain foreign citizenship while getting the hell off the sinking ship that is the US! That would be logical, anyway. However, instead of doing that [you] will use the "classic American attitude" of soap boxing about how much better everything is elsewhere and how much better they are at doing it -- but you won't actually leave here to these supposed "greener pastures". You'll just blog about how much superior Canada is. I've seen this so much as of late it's sickening.

And THAT is the most classic of classic American attitudes I've seen in my lifetime.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
If Cuba started drilling for oil off the coast of Miami and the U.S. continued a moratorium on drilling there, you'd be ok with that and wouldn't complain?

If it's on US soil or water, I probably wouldn't be ok with it. If it's their own property, then it's their own business.

There is a lot of stuff going on in the world in other countries I disagree with -- but it's not my job to leverage my moral beliefs or my countries laws on them, either.

I think the US will emerge as a technological force when it comes to alternative energy in the future, despite it looking like the opposite. I'm sure plenty of money is being spent here on these things, we just don't know about them yet.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
I think the US will emerge as a technological force when it comes to alternative energy in the future, despite it looking like the opposite. I'm sure plenty of money is being spent here on these things, we just don't know about them yet.

It is, at some level. The problem is...the Chinese government has actively decided to spend 2x as much as the entire U.S., both public and private, has done, because they want to win this race and they see an opening. Other countries are doing the same thing. That's how Germany is so far out ahead of the rest of the world in solar panels, for example; they saw an opportunity a few years ago and have invested heavily in it.

That's an impressive wave.

A huge glacier broke off and plunged into a lake in Peru, causing a 75-foot (23-meter) tsunami wave that swept away at least three people and destroyed a water processing plant serving 60,000 local residents, government officials said on Monday.

The ice block tumbled into a lake in the Andes on Sunday near the town of Carhuaz, some 200 miles north of the capital, Lima. Three people were feared buried in debris.

Investigators said the chunk of ice from the Hualcan glacier measured 1,640 feet by 656 feet.

"This slide into the lake generated a tsunami wave, which breached the lake's levees, which are 23 meters high -- meaning the wave was 23 meters high," said Patricio Vaderrama, an expert on glaciers at Peru's Institute of Mine Engineers.

I woke up this morning, and while walking out to my car on this particular glorious morning, I looked up at the Sun -- the king of our solar system -- and thanked it for global warming.

Now you wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I'm sure it smiled down upon me and slightly nodded -- and I could swear the temperature rose two degrees at that moment.

It was glorious.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
I woke up this morning, and while walking out to my car on this particular glorious morning, I looked up at the Sun -- the king of our solar system -- and thanked it for global warming.

Now you wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I'm sure it smiled down upon me and slightly nodded -- and I could swear the temperature rose two degrees at that moment.

It was glorious.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

Then I realized I hadn't had water to drink in 4 days because my hometown had become a desert...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)
Then I realized I hadn't had water to drink in 4 days because my hometown had become a desert...

I have plenty of water to drink. If anything, warming will give us even MORE water. :P