The environment thread

BigSqwert

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 11:53 AM)
Yup. We're just like Al Qaeda.

You aren't "just like" them in the "I'm going to blow up innocent people" regard, but the extremest view on environmentalism IS just like theirs is on religion or hate. I proved that with this thread. By taking an opposite, yet TOTALLY ridiculous stance that embraces the anti-environmentalist movement, I should have been brushed aside as someone joking around, but what I got was equal and OPPOSITE positions to my position, which were JUST as ridiculous.

The difference is, I'm not the one taking this subject seriously. Those responding to me ARE taking it seriously. TOO seriously.

Such as someone replaying to me with the picture of a starving Ethiopian.

My point was made.

And it was made well.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
You aren't "just like" them in the "I'm going to blow up innocent people" regard, but the extremest view on environmentalism IS just like theirs is on religion or hate. I proved that with this thread. By taking an opposite, yet TOTALLY ridiculous stance that embraces the anti-environmentalist movement, I should have been brushed aside as someone joking around, but what I got was equal and OPPOSITE positions to my position, which were JUST as ridiculous.

The difference is, I'm not the one taking this subject seriously. Those responding to me ARE taking it seriously. TOO seriously.

My point was made.

And it was made well.

I thought there were rules in the buster for trolling.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
I thought there were rules in the buster for trolling.

There probably are. But that wasn't really my intent here.

I have no problems with serious discussions on things, but when extremism creeps into the equation, from either side, it automatically enters the realm of 'pointless to discuss'. And I've noted that talking to modern day environmentalists (i.e. the global warming crowd), it's an exercise in futility. They don't want to have a serious two-way discussion. They just want you to acknowledge they're right, everyone else is wrong, and so long as you think just like they think, you're good to go!

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
There probably are. But that wasn't really my intent here.

I have no problems with serious discussions on things, but when extremism creeps into the equation, from either side, it automatically enters the realm of 'pointless to discuss'. And I've noted that talking to modern day environmentalists (i.e. the global warming crowd), it's an exercise in futility. They don't want to have a serious two-way discussion. They just want you to acknowledge they're right, everyone else is wrong, and so long as you think just like they think, you're good to go!

I guess I don't see the point of post 1726 then. You purposefully laid out some s*** to provoke people who might actually take the environment seriously which you don't. It'd be akin to me posting something in an abortion thread to mock those who are pro-life just to get a rise out of them and say "See. I just wanted to show people how you'd react irrationally".

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
I guess I don't see the point of post 1726 then. You purposefully laid out some s*** to provoke people who might actually take the environment seriously which you don't. It'd be akin to me posting something in an abortion thread to mock those who are pro-life just to get a rise out of them and say "See. I just wanted to show people how you'd react irrationally".

I explained quite clearly what it actually was.

it was a bad explanation. How was that a lead into a serious discussion? Hey guys haha here's some really unfunny stupid statement mocking a serious problem hahaha oh WHAT WHY ARE YOU NOT JUST LAUGHING AT HOW UNFUNNY IT WAS ohhh i am so much better than you, you guys are extremists.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
it was a bad explanation. How was that a lead into a serious discussion? Hey guys haha here's some really unfunny stupid statement mocking a serious problem hahaha oh WHAT WHY ARE YOU NOT JUST LAUGHING AT HOW UNFUNNY IT WAS ohhh i am so much better than you, you guys are extremists.

Yes, that's exactly what it was!

:stick

My explanation was quite clear. And you're response is -- sadly -- exactly what I expect.

Edited by Y2HH

Yes this:

This weather has been awesome.

Once again, I welcome global warming with open arms. f*** snow. f*** cold. And f*** penguins.

headbang.gif

was an exercise in brilliance. Continue on.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)
Yes this:

was an exercise in brilliance. Continue on.

Don't bother. He always has to have the last word and is always right about absolutely everything. Quite possibly the smartest man alive.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)

My point was made.

And it was made well.

I truly do not understand a word of this. Reading it, I feel like that 3-4 seconds of total disorientation right after you hit your head really hard on something.

Still, I thought it was pretty funny this past winter when we were having epic blizzards and record snowfall here on the East Coast, and there were people at work saying "see? I they told us about that global warming didn't they?" People that legitimately can't understand the difference between the temperature of the air and the amount of water in it. SMDH.

Link

The US military has warned that surplus oil production capacity could disappear within two years and there could be serious shortages by 2015 with a significant economic and political impact.

The energy crisis outlined in a Joint Operating Environment report from the US Joint Forces Command, comes as the price of petrol in Britain reaches record levels and the cost of crude is predicted to soon top $100 a barrel.

"By 2012, surplus oil production capacity could entirely disappear, and as early as 2015, the shortfall in output could reach nearly 10 million barrels per day," says the report, which has a foreword by a senior commander, General James N Mattis.

It adds: "While it is difficult to predict precisely what economic, political, and strategic effects such a shortfall might produce, it surely would reduce the prospects for growth in both the developing and developed worlds. Such an economic slowdown would exacerbate other unresolved tensions, push fragile and failing states further down the path toward collapse, and perhaps have serious economic impact on both China and India."

The US military says its views cannot be taken as US government policy but admits they are meant to provide the Joint Forces with "an intellectual foundation upon which we will construct the concept to guide out future force developments."

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
I truly do not understand a word of this. Reading it, I feel like that 3-4 seconds of total disorientation right after you hit your head really hard on something.

Really wasn't that hard to understand for anyone with a reading comprehension level above the 10th grade.

All I see here is the same crap I've seen throughout my life. Younger people growing into idealists that are going to solve all the worlds problems by worrying about everything, but doing almost nothing about it.

History repeating itself all over again.

What will it be in 10 years when this blows over, I wonder?

50's/60's - Fallout shelters?

70's - Global Cooling

80's - Nuclear War/WWIII

90's - Global Warming/Airborne AIDS Virus?

00's - Terrorists/Climate Change (Can't call it GW anymore)/Some sort of Flu/sickness (Swine, West Nile, Bird Flu, etc.)

10's - Absolute worldwide disaster of some sort/2012

20's - ???

Boring.