The environment thread

BigSqwert

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
Really wasn't that hard to understand for anyone with a reading comprehension level above the 10th grade.

All I see here is the same crap I've seen throughout my life. Younger people growing into idealists that are going to solve all the worlds problems by worrying about everything, but doing almost nothing about it.

History repeating itself all over again.

What will it be in 10 years when this blows over, I wonder?

50's/60's - Fallout shelters?

70's - Global Cooling

80's - Nuclear War/WWIII

90's - Global Warming/Airborne AIDS Virus?

00's - Terrorists/Climate Change (Can't call it GW anymore)/Some sort of Flu/sickness (Swine, West Nile, Bird Flu, etc.)

10's - Absolute worldwide disaster of some sort/2012

20's - ???

Boring.

You are pushing your luck with the bolded. Keep the attacks out of here.

And as for "Global Cooling"... There was never any science to that whatsoever. None. It was a few weathermen screaming with no concept of reality.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a push up north here to recycle mattresses and box springs. Very cool.

Also, I read today that climate change is linked to some problems for Moose and wolves on Isle Royale (a little island in Lake Superior). Hopefully I will get to visit there before they're all gone.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 02:32 PM)
There is a push up north here to recycle mattresses and box springs. Very cool.

Also, I read today that climate change is linked to some problems for Moose and wolves on Isle Royale (a little island in Lake Superior). Hopefully I will get to visit there before they're all gone.

As I recall, the Moose population problem in Northern MN and western Ontario is in great part due to a disease carried by ticks. BWCAW and QPP lost something like half their population because of it. And Isle Royale's populations are of course isolated, so any fluctuation is particularly dangerous. If the Moose die off rapidly, Wolves will die off as well, and other predators.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
As I recall, the Moose population problem in Northern MN and western Ontario is in great part due to a disease carried by ticks. BWCAW and QPP lost something like half their population because of it. And Isle Royale's populations are of course isolated, so any fluctuation is particularly dangerous. If the Moose die off rapidly, Wolves will die off as well, and other predators.

True, and the paper said that with warmer winters and summers there are higher rates of the ticks so it is exacerbating the problem. Isle Royale is down to only 19 wolves now--with two whole packs dying out. And since the lake hasn't been getting as deep a freeze as before it seems unlikely that there will be an opportunity for more migration to the isle. Which is sad. I've heard that is one of the most amazing parks in the nation. Story Link.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)

I always found it funny that his rant - intended to make fun of environmentalists - precisely makes the case why we SHOULD be environmentalists (or at least, conservationists). His whole schtick is about how silly it is for us to be worrying about the planet, as if we could destroy it or something. Well, duh - the planet will be fine. The planet also acts like a living thing, and it will be fine because it will defend itself. And its that defense of itself that threatens and kills people - not the planet itself.

REAL environmentalism (not the buy-carbon-credits-against-my-SUV kind), is about survival. Its about reducing the risk of the inevitable, equal and opposite reaction the planet has against everything that we do to it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)

Probably overkill, but really, how wide-spread?

70's - Global Cooling

Straw man

80's - Nuclear War/WWIII

This one belongs in the 60's.

AIDS wasn't really an airborne concern by the late 80's. And global warming is still around.

00's - Terrorists/Climate Change (Can't call it GW anymore)/Some sort of Flu/sickness (Swine, West Nile, Bird Flu, etc.)

Yeah, there was legitimate reason for the first two. Also, it's still GW. It leads to CC. SARS/ bird flu was overblown in this country, I'll give you that.

:lolhitting

The whole thing is an illogical argument, anyway, but it's also stuffed with straw.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)

Isle Royale is a great place and it offers a great look at predator and prey relationships and how the population fluctuations of each affect the other. We did a couple of labs in my Ecology class last semester on it. It would be terrible to lose the wolf population and those dynamics of the island.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
Probably overkill, but really, how wide-spread?

Straw man

This one belongs in the 60's.

AIDS wasn't really an airborne concern by the late 80's. And global warming is still around.

Yeah, there was legitimate reason for the first two. Also, it's still GW. It leads to CC. SARS/ bird flu was overblown in this country, I'll give you that.

:lolhitting

The whole thing is an illogical argument, anyway, but it's also stuffed with straw.

And so is every liberal arguement. Every debate, on both sides, is built from a house of straw. It just depends on who you want your straw man to be.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 09:02 PM)
And so is every liberal arguement. Every debate, on both sides, is built from a house of straw. It just depends on who you want your straw man to be.

Jesus Christ, no it isn't.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
Really wasn't that hard to understand for anyone with a reading comprehension level above the 10th grade.

All I see here is the same crap I've seen throughout my life. Younger people growing into idealists that are going to solve all the worlds problems by worrying about everything, but doing almost nothing about it.

History repeating itself all over again.

What will it be in 10 years when this blows over, I wonder?

70's - Global Cooling

80's - Nuclear War/WWIII

20's - ???

Boring.

I can read and comprehend just fine, thanks, and you need to stop with the line-toeing.

Also, your response here is a non-sequitur that doesn't appear to have anything to do with your unhinged rant before. I think. I hope. I managed to decipher "I am better and smarter than your foolish asses" from it but that's about it. I still have no idea what you're talking about.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
I can read and comprehend just fine, thanks, and you need to stop with the line-toeing.

Also, your response here is a non-sequitur that doesn't appear to have anything to do with your unhinged rant before. I think. I hope. I managed to decipher "I am better and smarter than your foolish asses" from it but that's about it. I still have no idea what you're talking about.

See that's where the disconnect is.

I'm not claiming to be better nor smarter than any of you, I merely see things differently. Agree to disagree as they say. I'm fine with that. I can see why people might think what you said about me (about being smarter/better than you)...but on my side of the fence, I see it the same way from every one of you.

Now if you can't see why I'd think that, then I guess I can't see why you'd think that, either.

Funny enough, but this "I'm smarter/better thing" is a two way street, and all of you are standing on it with me...just in a different lane.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
See that's where the disconnect is.

I'm not claiming to be better nor smarter than any of you, I merely see things differently. Agree to disagree as they say. I'm fine with that. I can see why people might think what you said about me (about being smarter/better than you)...but on my side of the fence, I see it the same way from every one of you.

Now if you can't see why I'd think that, then I guess I can't see why you'd think that, either.

Funny enough, but this "I'm smarter/better thing" is a two way street, and all of you are standing on it with me...just in a different lane.

If it was agree to disagree then usually I can see it or I know it going in, and I don't beat a dead horse. But like I said I honestly don't know what your point is with the deliberate shenanigans then saying "see!" when someone responds to it and then you go on a semi-connected rant. There is nothing for me to agree or disagree with because I don't even know what's being said.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 07:11 PM)
Everything's a straw man to you. Everything, that is, that you don't agree with. Whether it is or not.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
stop posting.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 09:27 PM)
You guys are basically saying there is no such thing as the truth or a factual basis for anything, and if there is, it doesn't matter because everyone can pretty much just make up their own facts.

That's a very postmodern, liberal idea.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
By the way, Sarah Palin was in the same city as me yesterday. In her press statement, she told us in graphic detail how horrible it was to have her personal email exposed publicly by a hacker and dissected by anyone out there.

what does that got to do with the environment? haha