The environment thread

BigSqwert

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Solar company Sungevity is offering President Obama a free rooftop solar power system for the White House and to get his attention they've launched the Globama campaign.

Sungevity is offering the 102-panel, 17.85 kW solar system, installation and warranty as a free donation, at no cost to the Obamas, the government or tax payers. The only costs associated with the panels would be the upkeep and maintenance...

To sell the idea and to get us all onboard, Sungevity created a website, SolarOnTheWhiteHouse.com, where the company has laid out a full quote, detailing the financial aspects, utility savings, technical information and environmental benefits of the installation.

http://www.solaronthewhitehouse.com/?p=iquote

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 07:16 PM)
And replace the grass outside with straw.

Reagan did that too? I figured Carter would have been the one bringing straw in.

(Note, I'm making fun of you because I think you don't know your history)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 06:19 PM)
Reagan did that too? I figured Carter would have been the one bringing straw in.

(Note, I'm making fun of you because I think you don't know your history)

Nope, I don't. So what's the story on this one? I was making fun of straw.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
Nope, I don't. So what's the story on this one? I was making fun of straw.

In the Carter Administration in 1979, Carter was trying to promote energy efficiency after the oil crises, and as a symbol of what the everyday American could do, he had solar water heaters installed on the White House roof.

The Reagan administration came in and ripped them out. Then slashed all of Carter's energy efficiency programs, killed the tax credits, and pushed hard for more oil usage.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
In the Carter Administration in 1979, Carter was trying to promote energy efficiency after the oil crises, and as a symbol of what the everyday American could do, he had solar water heaters installed on the White House roof.

The Reagan administration came in and ripped them out. Then slashed all of Carter's energy efficiency programs, killed the tax credits, and pushed hard for more oil usage.

Gotcha. But Sarah needs to plant straw anyway.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 08:16 PM)
We need to live in f***ing caves. Without fire, because that would add carbon to the atmosphere.

Instead, let's b**** about pollution from our computers, discounting the fact that the amount of pollution created just to manufacturer computer components is insane, not to mention powering them.

Oh, and let's drive our cars everywhere, too...since they have improved MPG, it's ok to drive now!

It's having your cake and eating it, too...which is what I do. I mean why would I want cake if I couldn't actually eat it?

When this movement fades away (after they scam billions upon billions of dollars) while lowering the worlds carbon footprint by a whopping 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% in 20 years, you will simply stop hearing about it from all the people who did nothing but talk about it the entire time it was going on. By then, they'll have latched onto the next anti-something movement which is sure to come, and if we don't solve that, our grandchildren will have to pay for the damage we are doing!

It's like the vegetarian you all know in your lives that wears leather shoes or a leather jacket.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 07:43 AM)
Instead, let's b**** about pollution from our computers, discounting the fact that the amount of pollution created just to manufacturer computer components is insane, not to mention powering them.

Oh, and let's drive our cars everywhere, too...since they have improved MPG, it's ok to drive now!

It's having your cake and eating it, too...which is what I do. I mean why would I want cake if I couldn't actually eat it?

When this movement fades away (after they scam billions upon billions of dollars) while lowering the worlds carbon footprint by a whopping 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% in 20 years, you will simply stop hearing about it from all the people who did nothing but talk about it the entire time it was going on. By then, they'll have latched onto the next anti-something movement which is sure to come, and if we don't solve that, our grandchildren will have to pay for the damage we are doing!

It's like the vegetarian you all know in your lives that wears leather shoes or a leather jacket.

That was an impressive rant. There wasn't one shred of reality in it after the first graf, but, big points for style!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 07:50 AM)
That was an impressive rant. There wasn't one shred of reality in it after the first graf, but, big points for style!

I think it was fine. :)

I hope you are still here in 10 years -- when you are no longer talking about this movement but have latched onto another one. I'm confident this will happen. And when it does, I will surely remind you of this post. :P

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 08:09 AM)
I think it was fine. :)

I hope you are still here in 10 years -- when you are no longer talking about this movement but have latched onto another one. I'm confident this will happen. And when it does, I will surely remind you of this post. :P

LOL

First, I've been part of this "movement" since I was a kid. Not going to suddenly shift to some other fashion in 10 years. Second, this "movement" has resulted in a lot of positives the past few decades already, and it isn't going anywhere any time soon. Third, you've seen enough of my posts to know that I know the difference between an "environmentalist" (the ones who think its environmentally solid to drive their Humvee because they bought carbon credits), and "conservationists" who actually understand their impact on the world.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 08:21 AM)
LOL

First, I've been part of this "movement" since I was a kid. Not going to suddenly shift to some other fashion in 10 years. Second, this "movement" has resulted in a lot of positives the past few decades already, and it isn't going anywhere any time soon. Third, you've seen enough of my posts to know that I know the difference between an "environmentalist" (the ones who think its environmentally solid to drive their Humvee because they bought carbon credits), and "conservationists" who actually understand their impact on the world.

If I have learned anything from the Tea Party it is that there is no such thing as distinctions in movements. If I am for smaller government, I am for the elimination of entire races. The same way with the environmental movement, if you are for this, you are for the firebombing of car dealerships and the attacking of people for any kind of violations of mother earth. You are obviously in favor of all of that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 08:28 AM)
If I have learned anything from the Tea Party it is that there is no such thing as distinctions in movements. If I am for smaller government, I am for the elimination of entire races. The same way with the environmental movement, if you are for this, you are for the firebombing of car dealerships and the attacking of people for any kind of violations of mother earth. You are obviously in favor of all of that.

And I think I pointed out that distinction in the Tea Party in a different post earlier this morning.

I hope that most who post on these boards are not stupid enough to lump everyone into a stereotype like that, whether they believe in a cause or not. I hate to use the word stupid in this regard, but I cannot think of a better word to use in it's place. Anyone that believes all tea-party members are racists are pretty stupid people, the same goes for everyone who think every environmentalist is for bombing car dealerships.

Though I do get what he was trying to convey, because quite often I see these types of examples in the media today.

Comparisons you make when a crowd somewhere in the 75,000-150,000 range turns out on the national mall in favor of environmental legislation:

In some ways, the problem that proponents of climate legislation face is that they're pursuing a policy goal that is not much of a hot-button political issue. Environmental activists had a well-attended event Sunday on the Mall, with musical stars Sting and John Legend, but immigration reform advocates are likely to dwarf that turnout with dozens of rallies across the country Saturday.

Statements you make to play up the importance of smaller rallies on 9/12:

The crowd -- loud, animated and sprawling -- gathered at the West Front of the Capitol after a march along Pennsylvania Avenue NW from Freedom Plaza. Invocations of God and former president Ronald Reagan by an array of speakers drew loud cheers that echoed across the Mall. On a windy, overcast afternoon, hundreds of yellow "Don't Tread on Me" flags flapped in the breeze.

"Hell hath no fury like a taxpayer ignored," declared Andrew Moylan, head of government affairs for the National Taxpayers Union, urging protesters to call their representatives. The demonstrators roared their approval.

"We own the dome!" they chanted, pointing at the Capitol.

gulf_amo_2010115.jpg

Link

George Crozier, oceanographer and executive director at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab in Alabama, said he was studying wind and ocean currents driving the oil.

He said Pensacola, Fla., is probably the eastern edge of the threatened area, though no one really knows what the effects will be.

"We've never seen anything like this magnitude," he said. "The problems are going to be on the beaches themselves, that's where it will be really visible."

Aaron Viles, director for New Orleans-based Gulf Restoration Network, an environmental group, said he flew over the spill Sunday and saw what was likely a sperm whale in the oil sheen.

"There are going to be significant marine impacts," he said.

Concern Monday focused on the Chandeleur and Breton barrier islands in Louisiana, where thousands of birds are nesting.

"It's already a fragile system. It would be devastating to see anything happen to that system," said Mark Kulp, a University of New Orleans geologist.

The spill also threatened oyster beds in Breton Sound on the eastern side of the Mississippi River. Harvesters could only watch and wait.

"That's our main oyster-producing area," said John Tesvich, a fourth-generation oyster farmer with Port Sulphur Fisheries Co. His company has about 4,000 acres of oyster grounds that could be affected if the spill worsens.

"Trying to move crops would be totally speculative," Tesvich said. "You wouldn't know where to move a crop. You might be moving a crop to a place that's even worse."

Link.

Of course, you all understand that the U.S. taxpayer is going to wind up footing the bill for all of the lost tourist dollars, agricultural production, beach cleanup, etc.

Sources: Secretary to OK Cape Cod wind turbine project

The interior secretary will announce today that he will grant approval for the wind turbine project off Cape Cod that has been a major battle, two administration sources tell CNN.

The late Senator Kennedy among those who opposed the development which is named Cape Winds.

CapeWind.org