The environment thread

BigSqwert

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (mr_genius @ May 31, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)
they like hot weather though

You know, I was tempted to write a sarcastic remark back, but I kept coming back to the couple hundred dead from it and decided that I'd pass.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
If we are paying billions of dollars for something, yes, unlike the Democrats apparently, I expect something for it.

I assume the government would have to sub contract this to someone, I doubt we have a underwater well plugging up crew" so all we would be doing is contracting with BP or someone like BP. Sucks

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 31, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)
All of Huffpo's headlines are ridiculous.

They forgot to superimpose George W. Bush looking down from the heavens onto both pictures - while photoshopping in the devil horns.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 31, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
I assume the government would have to sub contract this to someone, I doubt we have a underwater well plugging up crew" so all we would be doing is contracting with BP or someone like BP. Sucks

Actually, we do have people who are quite skilled at plugging up burst wells. They made a fortune and piled up their experience capping wells in Kuwait in 91.

The problem is...the "Top Kill" technique...that was their method.

Here's the NYT running a gushing profile of the outside contractor helping set up the Top-Kill and how it was going to work beautifully to kill off the well. Run a couple days before they actually tried the thing.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 31, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
They forgot to superimpose George W. Bush looking down from the heavens onto both pictures - while photoshopping in the devil horns.

Each President has a chance to make a difference. They can't solve everything, all they can do is make small changes. Those changes will make it slightly better or slightly worse.

In the end Presidents receive too much credit and too much blame.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
Obama sending more bodies, but I'm not sure what they are going to do.

There is an enormous amount of beach cleanup and boom deployment that isn't being done right now that could be done.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)
There is an enormous amount of beach cleanup and boom deployment that isn't being done right now that could be done.

You need more than bodies to do that - you need equipment and ships. Hopefully they are enough fishing boats available to do so.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
Fishing ban now covers fully one third of the Gulf of Mexico. Obama sending more bodies, but I'm not sure what they are going to do.

They're sending lawyers to clean up. rolly.gif

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 08:51 PM)
They're sending lawyers to clean up. rolly.gif

BP, yeah, of course they are. Someone's got to make sure that the poisoned fishermen can't find the evidence they need to bring their cases.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)
BP, yeah, of course they are. Someone's got to make sure that the poisoned fishermen can't find the evidence they need to bring their cases.

Yup! Eric Holder's gonna settle the score. Terrorists? What law? Immygrants? What law? Oil? GET THEM M'FERS!

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 10:21 PM)
Yup! Eric Holder's gonna settle the score. Terrorists? What law? Immygrants? What law? Oil? GET THEM M'FERS!

As expected, the moment there's any possible liability for destroying the livelihood of millions of people, you're immediately providing the defense.

I also note that you didn't mention wall street as unpunished. Again, unsurprising.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
As expected, the moment there's any possible liability for destroying the livelihood of millions of people, you're immediately providing the defense.

I also note that you didn't mention wall street as unpunished. Again, unsurprising.

So you honestly think that Kap enjoys watching millions of people get their livelihoods destroyed while the people who do it get off free?

I mean...really?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
So you honestly think that Kap enjoys watching millions of people get their livelihoods destroyed while the people who do it get off free?

I mean...really?

As long as he saves the extra $.03/gallon.

Latest Tweet about the Gulf Oil Spill from Scary Sarah:

"Xtreme Greenies: see now why we push 'drill,baby,drill' of known reserves & promising finds in safe onshore places like ANWR? Now do you get it?"

W. T. F.

Even if you believe that drilling for more oil is a good idea - which an argument can be made for - how can you possibly take this idiot and her views seriously? I mean, this is the kind of thing a 12 year old says. What possible twisted logic is she using to say that somehow this spill is justification for more drilling?

My God, I don't know if there is a scarier thing in politics right now than the fact that some people actually support this woman.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 10:26 AM)
Latest Tweet about the Gulf Oil Spill from Scary Sarah:

W. T. F.

Even if you believe that drilling for more oil is a good idea - which an argument can be made for - how can you possibly take this idiot and her views seriously? I mean, this is the kind of thing a 12 year old says. What possible twisted logic is she using to say that somehow this spill is justification for more drilling?

My God, I don't know if there is a scarier thing in politics right now than the fact that some people actually support this woman.

I think it's about the 'where' element. She's advocating relaxing regulation on where drilling should be allowed, ANWR for example. I actually can somewhat see her point, but for the record I don't agree with it.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
I think it's about the 'where' element. She's advocating relaxing regulation on where drilling should be allowed, ANWR for example. I actually can somewhat see her point, but for the record I don't agree with it.

OK, so she is saying that because of this awful spill underwater, we should drill more on land? I suppose it would be easier to fix a blow-out on land. Except of course that ANWR is actually much more difficult to get equipment to than in the Gulf, since its so remote.

But really, come on. Regardless of that reason, she is still saying more drilling is good BECAUSE of this accident. Its assinine.